1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some opinions ....

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Theebs, Oct 16, 2007.

1. joe777

joe777 Member

I think Intel rate the stock cooler @ 37 idle, and I had to use a shoe-horn to fit the scythe in my case Lol. I lapped both proc and heatsink but didnt go for the liquid metal but did go for the spring option over the standard locking mechanism. For what I've read, my temps are pretty good but not spectacular. I have nudged the Vcore down a little to 3.45, still stable and a degree or to under, but I think thats as low as the temps will fall. I also read that a side-mounted cpu fan can dramatically reduce temps combined with good case fans.
    As for noise pollution Lol yeah I have 3 120mm fans (only the exhaust fan has speed control) and it can be loud, but still a good bit quieter than my old rigs. The exhaust is set to low, the blower does its own thing and as we speak the cpu fan is sitting @823rpm no wait 824 no wait 826 Lol he he he you know what I mean. I was thinking about 2 raptors before I bought the system but hey that kind of noise would wake up the neighbours.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That figure would utterly depend on the case temperature and ambient room temperature, I rarely find that they give specific temperature readings. In all honesty, compared to some people's case fans (Rubixcube for example), Raptors really aren't that noisy.

3. joe777

joe777 Member

cpu - deffo
    case- looks pretty
    PSU- sounds the bollocks, will there be enough power, could be borderline maybe.
    Main board- dont go for anything under the DS3P, please trust me its worth the extra money.
    Ram- man thats expensive, ok 4 gigs but still too much. Rated timings @ 5-5-5-18 and 1 customer comment saying it wouldn't pass 800Mhz, that doesn't sound promising. The G.E.I.L. ram ah bought cost 59 Euro for 2 gigs 4-4-4-12, 835Mhz, mem multiplier @2.50 and voltage @2.15 http://www.alternate.nl/html/highlights.html?hgid=30&tgid=97&treeName=HARDWARE&Level1=Geheugen&

Ah also heard or read should I say about good ram from Crucial running low timings and O'c. I would say its worth shopping around first, and do you really need 4gigs? I know you posted that your a heavy user with video/graphic rendering, but do you really need all that? I work with a home studio comprising of several virtual instruments and still have plenty head-room. Windows xp32bit will not see all 4 gigs it uses 4 gigs max including the pagefile so you will get 3.5gigs instead. Xp64bit will see all 4gigs. Now I have never tried 64bit but not alot of peeps have much good to say about it. Vista (ohhhhh nooooo) can handle the 4gigs, as it probably needs that to run half a proccess or display an error that cant be displayed because of the previous error Lol. Maybe you could stick with 2 gigs and xp 32bit pro and keep your new system as fast as microsoft can go.
    On a side note, ever heard of a prog called Nlite. Great prog to use to customise your operating system. With what your doing ah would look at a multiboot with especially a ripped O's for your video/graphic work. That way you can speed up that O's for your work and something else(on another partition, maybe even a linux distro) as an internet / blah blah O's.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The guy who couldn't get it past 800mhz was a noob, look at how many other positive comments there are. $219 is not a lot to pay for 4GB of quality RAM, not a lot at all.

5. joe777

joe777 Member

Yeah I did execute a sweeping statement there, sorry, there are positive comments of course. 219$ roughly 155Euro, I might be penny pinching but the difference of 35Euro(comparing my ram) would mean I could add 10 euros and buy a good heatsink, he he he I have been living in the netherlands for to long now eh!!! Greedy sod. Lol

6. joe777

joe777 Member

Well matey WHAT DID YA GET? as long as you did not go for anything below the Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3P. Please tell me you didn't??????????? If so then I am in mourning for your set-up Lol!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on tell us what you went for!!!!!!