1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some recommendations on CD label making tools

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ghersh, Dec 28, 2003.

1. ghersh

ghersh Member

Hello, hope this is the right forum. I an completely new to the whole label making business, if there is something like 'CD/DVD label making for newbies', would appreciate if someone has point me to it. Otherwise, just need some advice and suggestions.

First, I'm a bit concern with the idea of putting the label on CD and still have it playable afterwards. Is there any gotchas?

Second, need recommendations for some starter kits. Did a bit of searches, saw some good reviews of Stomper Pro. Would anyone recommend (or not recommend) this kit? Any alternatives? Any recommended label stock?

TIA.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Labels are neat as hell at first but tend to cause problems down the road. I used some fairly high quality ones a couple years ago but they eventually started to peel up in spots and look pretty trashy. It's really fun to try and get a cd with a peeled up label into a slot-load player. Many are of the opinion that labels are impossible to get exactly centered on the disc and therefore throw it out of balance while spinning. I'm perefectly happy making a nice case insert and a plain old sharpie on the disc.

As for alternatives a very nice, though expensive, solution is an inkjet printer that prints to discs. I believe Epson makes it. Printable discs can be bought online easily and the results are pretty nice from what I've read.

If you really want to try the labels go for it. Just keep in mind you may have problems although they may be better these days. Sorry I can't really recommend any kits cause I haven't used any recently!

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gun Control - The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, strangled with her pantyhose is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to the police how her attacker recieved that fatal bullet wound.[/small]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  3. Mahogany

Mahogany Guest

Nephilim do you know where to buy printable disc's for a good price because i have the epson printer

4. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

hi ghersh,

check out these links,

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.44

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewt...tdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=label&start=0

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewt...t=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=labels

There are tons of discussions about labels all over the forums of different dvd-related sites. Many people have problems but again, many don't. I personally was sticking labels on my dvds, until I realized that many of my friends dvd-players were not able to play them properly to the end anymore. I go for the same approach now as Nephilim, nice covers but plain dvd.

On some of the links above you will find also people opinions and experiences of different applicators and label brands, if you have time to read the threads.
    I hope the labels work for you, but make sure to test the unlabeled and labeled dvds in different players to assure the labels do not cause any troubles. Good luck!

j.

5. devil60

devil60 Guest

ghersh: I use the SureThing CD Labeler and I all so buy ther Labels by the box of 1000 for just $125 total. I make all the Labels for CDs and DVDs that I do all my Labels and thry are neat and thy dont peel off the cd

http://www.surething.com/ST/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2004
  6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

mahogany - try www.supermediastore.com and www.rima.com - they both carry printable DVDs.