1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need suggestions for a decent +R capable DVD player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by SkyBum, Oct 14, 2004.

1. SkyBum

SkyBum Guest

My Toshiba only plays the -R's. I've got 100 +R's that say it's gonna get the boot before the week is out.

Anyone care to offer some suggestions for what I should buy to replace it? I don't wanna spend a ton but I'm willing to spend what ever it takes to get a decent quality unit that can play all formats.

Thanks.

2. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

Hi: I use the JVC XV-N40 and have luck with + / - different makes of DVDs and even generic DVDs. Good luck.

3. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

The Sony DVP-NS425P plays all formats of DVD media. I have nine players and this is the only model that is 99.99% perfect for all formats all of the time. It will even play retail DVDs that are too scratched for my other players.

I have a Sony DVP-NS725P which is the more expensive version, but it does not play every DVD correctly. I have a total of five Sony players and they all do a fairly good job of playing all formats.

The NS425 is under $100.

4. SkyBum

SkyBum Guest

Thanks for the tips! I am currently looking at the Sony DVP-NS575P. I can get it for $59.99 at eCost with free tax and shipping. I also looked at the 475 model as well but it was only $4.00 less.

Any opinions on this particular model?

5. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I was told by a salesman that the Sony NS425, while a lower priced model, is actually a newer player than the NS725. This might explain its ability to play multiple DVD formats more reliably.

I assume the NS525 is also a newer model, since it was not available at the time I bought the NS425.

The problem I have with my other players is not that they won't play all formats, it's that they won't always play the same type of media. If I use DVD+R for instance; one out of every five burns will not play properly.