1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need the BEST CD-RW brand for 2x Audio Recording!

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Sembiance, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Sembiance

Sembiance Member

Basically, I have a linux box, which every night, randomly selects songs from my music collection (I've ripped all my CD's to flac and mp3, totalling over 8,000 songs) and burns a CD-RW.

So I wake up in the morning, grab the CD-RW from the tray, take it to my car, listen to it on the way to work and back from, then put the Cd-RW back into the tray, and it's awaiting for me again the next day with all new songs.

The PROBLEM is the media I'm using (Verbatim DataLifePlus 80min 700MB 2x-4x) doesn't always work correctly in my car CD stereo.
    Sometimes I need to insert it about 10 to 20 times before it 'sees' a valid CD.
    Once it see's the CD, everything works fine. Track skipping, rewinding, etc.

So I'm looking for new CD-RW media.
    I have the requirement that the media MUST support burning at 2x!
    I need the best Cd-RW media for multiple multiple burns, and of high quality so that it can be seen better by my car stereo.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

Excellent excellent idea :)

To be honest, I could write "Search out some TY or Mitsui RW's", but I doubt that they would be much better than the DLP - I think I have some of the ones you are on about (ATIP's may follow if I remember), they are excellent!

One point is that if you have been doing this for a few months, you may have simply "used" the disc. I dont have any hard facts about how many times a CDRW can be re-used, but I'm fairly sure that around 100-200 is a reasonable figure. (Years and years ago, my Consumer Audio ones used to die after about half a dozen)

My car stereo is just as finnicky about RW's, btw... Some people may tell you to use Black Bottomed CDRW's, but I dont know if they even exist.

3. piano632

piano632 Regular member

The best ones I've used were Fuji (the ones made in Japan). Verb's are pretty good too. Mitsui does not make RW discs (don't think TY does either). All RW discs are supposed to be rewritable 1,000 times, but I can tell you from experience to stay away from Princo's (sold as Jensen & Digital Media at Circuit City) - they become unusable after only a few rewrites.

4. Sembiance

Sembiance Member

I just ordered a bunch of different CD-RW media, and I'm gonna try each one to see how well they work.
    Of course I only ordered 1 of each.

Maxell CD-RW Media 650MB 74min (1-Pack)
    Verbatim 91664 CD-RW, 74 Minute, 650MB, 4X (Silver, Single)
    Imation 12381 CD-RW, 74 Minute, 650 MB, 4x (Single with Jewel Case)
    Maxell 1-pack CD-RW Media 74min- for Audio Only

I'll try and seek out some Fuji ones...

5. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

Hmm, thats a good point. Confirmation, anyone?

@Sembience - I bet you'll get upgraded from Newbie if you come back in a month and let us all know how the cd's are performing :)

6. Sembiance

Sembiance Member

I'm certain I'll come back, and let you all know how it's going.

7. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Sembiance,

Please post ATIPs of the CD-RWs.

8. Sembiance

Sembiance Member

What are ATIP's?

By the way, if anyone knows a site online that has a VAST assortment of CD-RW media brands, I'd love to order them.
    They must sell them in single packs or at the most 3 packs.

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

ATIP is the little wee bits of info embeded into cd media.... to read them you need an ATIP Reader. Alcohol120 has one built in, so does Nero Infotools. If not you can grab a program called CDRIdentifier (http://cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/cdridentifier.cfm)