1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need to get a new motherboard and processor and just wondering which one i should get

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gibbey531, Sep 5, 2007.

1. gibbey531

gibbey531 Member

I just recently fried my motherboard with the processor when i installed my brothers spare power supply which had a missing resistor in it(didn't know till after the fry) but now i'm in the market for a motherboard and a processor. I'm obviously going to try to get something good and either AMD or Intel, but the thing is i don't know which brand to go for. I hear that AMD is just a faster version of intel, but then i hear that AMD is a cheaper brand than intel and will not be as good. I would just like to know which brand would be better to go to. Now i'm looking for a motherboard that has 4 ram slots and i will probably need to get a matching power supply for everything else.

I would like to go to Intel Core 2 Duo or the AMD Athlon Turion x2, but i don't want to spend a fortune, so maybe between $129-$200 give or take, but like i stated before i don't know which name is better. I'll mainly be using this computer for programs like Photoshop, Word, To manage my Zune everything on it, and to play the ocasional game here and there. Which processor/motherboard should i get and if there are any sales where you get the Motherboard and the matching processor please tell!!! I'd even appreciate it if you gave me some good power supplies to use with everything else. thanks

2. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

for now go with the intel core 2 duo, its much better, and for $129-200 your not looking at much... try and go with $250 at the minimum.

The Asus P5K-SE is a very good board, and $128.99 CND

The C2D E4300 is the low end of the Core 2 duos, and about $130-140CND

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I would go with what mike said, except that I would throw in the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 as a good motherboard choice. I bought mine for 65 bucks, but I think you can get them now for around 85.