1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need To Know How To Get And Install Subtitle Filters

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by one5one, May 19, 2003.

1. one5one

one5one Guest

No response to my earlier post. I know that everyone is tired of subtitle questions but believe me I have read practically every post on the subject and still don't have an answer. I want to embed (if that is the right word) my subtitles into my DIVX movie so that they go with the movie in the avi file. I know this can be done b/c I have DL'ed DIVX movies with subtitles. So I'm thinking that what I should do in the process of encoding the movie in virtual dub, is add some kind of subtitle filter and that will do the job. My subtitles are in a .srt file so I think I am looking for a filter called textsub??? But it is not in my filter list. So my questions are; how can I get the right filter into virtualdub and is this even the right way to do it? Any help will be appreciated. I know this is a tired subject but I cannot seem to find an answer anywhere and the virtualdub encoding takes 6 hours so I want to be sure I'm doing it the right way.

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Well ive only worked with subtitles once and i used the filter before encoding the movie. I believe the filter youre searching for is VobSub. heres the link:
    http://www.gabest.org/vobsub.php

3. one5one

one5one Guest

Great, thanks. I have come across vobsub in my searching but thought it was for something else. Anyway, I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

4. threeten

threeten Member

This is a problem that I am wrestling with as well.

I ripped my subs with SubRip and they work great on my computer at home with Direct Show installed, but they're not really portable.

I know purists don't like the subs embedded, but I'd still like to learn how to do it for future reference.

If you figure it out, please share with the rest of us.

5. one5one

one5one Guest

Will do threeten. I did the same with SubRip and the movie and subtitles run great together. I tested it on Windows Media. Ultimately I may end up keeping them as separate files, I don't know. But I am new to this and, as like you, I would like to at least learn the process. Have you tried it? If so what happened?

6. one5one

one5one Guest

Well I DL'ed VobSub and loaded the textsub filter into virtual dub. Then I followed the afterdawn guide for backing up DVD to DIVX. The only thing I did different, when I got to virtual dub phase, is I added the textsub filter and selected my .srt file(ripped from the same movie). How do I know that the subtitles will be in the movie? I tried previewing it but didn't see the subtitles. I don't want to go through the whole encoding process without knowing beforehand that it worked.

7. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

From what I read is that you want to encode the AVI file to Mpeg1 or 2 with subtitles ???
    If so, do you use TMPgenc to encode..?

If so you will need DirectVobSub.
    Works all the time...what you need to do is give both files exactly the same name..!! and in the same directory..
    For example:
    The matrix.avi
    The matrix.srt
    Now if you watch The matrix.avi you will see the subtitles..Also using TMPGenc for encoding you will see the subtitles. So after encoding you have a Mpeg file included with the subtitles.
    Did it many times and works fine !
    Just see to it that you subtitles are in sync with your movie.

8. one5one

one5one Guest

I have never used TMPGEnc. I DL'ed it just now so I can give it whirl. I have the movie in divx and the subtitles in .srt and if I play the movie the subtitles are fine. So you are saying that I can now use TMPGEnc and encode the two together? Is TMPGEnc going to be difficult to figure out how to use? I am new to this so as much info as possible is appreciated.

9. one5one

one5one Guest

Wizkid where are you? I got TMPGCEnc but don't have clue how to use it. I gave it a try but it is wanting to make a VCD. What I want is a DivX with the subtitles embedded in the movie, not as a separate file. Is this really all that hard?

10. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

I think wizkid misinterpreted what you were asking. TMPgenc wont help you out on this one, i suggest getting wirtual dub and its filter vobsub. This will be the easiest way for you to do this. Here's the link to a guide that'll help you out:

http://www.nanomessiah.com/subtitles.html

Hope this helps you out.

11. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Ok here I am....
    Yes this way you will get either a VCD, SVCD or DVD.
    What you want is exactly what I want.
    An AVI with the subs in it. I can't figure out how to get the two together and save the AVI with the subs in it.
    I will have a look at the link thanx.

12. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Looks nice ... but what if I don't have an IFO file for subs.
    I have:
    Remember the titans.avi (=movie)
    Remember the titans.srt (=subtitles)

I just want to save the avi with the subs in it !!!! HOW ?

13. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Im not too sure, Ive never used an .srt file before...As far as I know, vobsub files have the .sub extension. What did you use to get the .srt files in the first place?

14. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Download from the internet.
    They are Dutch subtitles.
    Do I need to convert it to .sub or else ?

Basicaly I want to burn the .avi onto a CD-r with the subs. That's all ...

Twice I used TMPGenc to convert these avi files togehter with the subs to a mpeg file (DVD).
    Using TMPGenc DVD author I made the VIDEO_TS structure with the vobs and ifo's. Burn the VIDEO_TS to a DVD with Nero.
    Don't want this anymore....1. takes a lot of time....2. no DVD quality.

Last edited: May 26, 2003
  15. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

16. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Ok well I guess were not on the same sequence here...lol

1. I allready have a .srt file with the subtitles so I dont need to rip them with subrip from vobfiles.
    2. I know how to play the avi movie with the subtitles.

My guestion is how to BURN an avi movie together with the subtitles.
    WITHOUT ENCODING THE MOVIE WITH TEMPENC TO VCD, SVCD OR DVD !!!!

thanx for the reply... I will check the second link !!!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]PS2 30004R v5
    Messiah chip
    HP DVD200i
    Platinum/HP/Verbatim DVD+r and DVD+rw[/small]

Last edited: May 27, 2003