1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to make different logons on different partitions

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hk2npck, Feb 12, 2003.

1. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

Heres the deal.....i want to have 4 partitions, 1 for windows, 2 for the windows logons (one for each windows logon) and 1 partition for shared space among the 2 logons. I want to make it so that there are 2 passworded windows logons, and 1 partition for each, but 1 logon will only be able to access its own files on its own partition, and the other same. i know how to partition the space off, but i need help with the windows part. I am sure this isn't all that clear but this is the best I can explain it. Can you help me??

2. Twilite

Twilite Regular member

It might help to know what version of OS you want to use. I did this a long time ago in NT server but am not very familiar with the latest versions of windows.

3. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

sorry....win2000, currently formated into ntfs. 60 gig

4. Twilite

Twilite Regular member

This doesn't spell it all out for you piece by piece but it has the beginning info and a note at the end to find more information. If I could figure out how to do it in NT with now training I'm sure you can in 2000. :) Good luck.

5. Twilite

Twilite Regular member

6. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

I know how to create a user name, but my problem is that i want to have .....say user name "A" be able to access only his partition (lets call it the "F" drive), the windows partition, and the shared partition. then I want another user (lets call him user name "B") to be able to access his partition (lets call that one the "G" drive), the shared drive, and the windows partition. is that a little more clear??

7. Twilite

Twilite Regular member

After looking at the windows help file that link I showed suggested I see that after creating your users and user groups you should be able to right click on the drives in my computer, go to sharing, enable it and then set permissions for different user groups while logged in as admin on the box. This shoould work for local users as well as network users that have been created on the PC. One thing I am unsure of in windows 2000 is whether you must have the drives formatted with NTFS. I think that was the case under NT but until I can afford a copy of 2000 I'm a little in the dark on it.

8. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

Thanks alot. I will be sure to try it. The ntfs thing is not a problem. I find it much more convient than fat32.