1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need to modify xbox 360 to copy our games

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by dmsdixie, Jan 31, 2007.

1. dmsdixie

dmsdixie Member

I am newer than new at this. I need to make copies of my sons games for his xbox 360. I have read many hours of forums and websites and still confused. I need help from the beginning. I understand the first thing I need to do is to modify his xbox with a chip .1. Where do I acquire this chip (solderless i hope) and how to install it.2. step by step instructions( for the clueless) on programs I need to install on my computer to copy the games. 3. step by step instructions on how to copy, hopefully screenshot pictures with the instructions. 4. I do not even know how to connect my computer and xbox together to do this. By the way , I have windows xp and dvd to dvd in my computer tower,when I burn copies of my sons movies the top one is the reader and the bottom is the burner.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

well, you can get a chip or flash the DVD Drive. Here is some info on that.
    http://www.xtreme-source.com/tutorials-xbox-360/
    also at the above you can find the programs and tutorial needed for how to back them up. All but one of the DVD drives in the 360 you will need to use a quality DVD+R DL dual layer disc (which you would anyway as most games are over the normal 4.7GB limit of a DVD5 single layer disc). Verbatim & Taiyo Yuden are good choices.
    If you can buy online the supermediastore.com has good deals on quality media

You will also need to hit Ebay and pick yourself up a Samsun DVD-Rom drive. you will not find them in stores as they are no longer made, so get one while you can. After it is flashed (simple as pie) it can read an Xbox 360 game and make a copy. It is the only drive i know that can do this.
    SH-D162C or TS-H352C if your computer uses IDE connections (most computers have this type of connection).
    SH-D163C if you have SATA connections (some better systems have these).

the only other alternative i know is to download the games so you do not need a drive to read them.(PM me if you want a good source for this option) then you just use the same tool (xbox backup creator) to burn it to a disc, making sure you check it first to make sure the person who made it did a proper job and patched the security sector when he made it.

hopefully that is not too confusing. The site i linked you to also have a few very good guys who own 360's who can help you further.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  3. dmsdixie

dmsdixie Member

It was very helpful, you said go to ebay and get a samsun dvdrom drive. That sounds simpler than trying to figure out how to use my disc burner in my dell computer. Next you talk about connections on better made computers, this is greek to me, however I did get a computer with all the bells and whistles so until i get my dvd rom on ebay, i will asuume i have these.
    thanks for your help

4. steimy

steimy Active member

the Samsung drive is for your PC and is only good if you plan to make back up copies of your retail games. But it does make it very easy to do. It is just a DVD-Rom drive so it will only read the DVD but can not burn them. So your current burner will still be needed.
    SATA slots are things that some computers have and some do not, so i would either refer to the users manual or look inside for them on your motherboard.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...l+P965+Express+ATX+Intel+Motherboard+-+Retail
    this picture will show you what they would like like if you do not already know (small purple slots). You can see the big difference in how the IDE slots (larger yellow slot beside it) of most normal systems look and the much smaller SATA slots.

Most normal prebuilt systems like Dell would use IDE slots for things like the DVD Drive or hard drives. Some computers have the addition of SATA slots which free up space for extra hard drives or DVD drives since you can only have 2 IDE devices on one IDE slot, so if your motherboard happens to be like the one pictured but without the SATA slots (just one IDE slot) this means you could only have one DVD drive and one hard drive and you'll be full without buying either an IDE card for your PCI slots, or a card that can use an extra USB slot to plug in SATA cables.

Hope that all makes some sense. Either your Dell manual or the dell website will have your motherboard specs where you can see exactly which slots you have. If you do have open SATA slots then i would buy the SATA drive and then get some an SATA cable (and sata power cable) to hook it up because unless the Ebay drive is in a retail box it will most likely not have the cables.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...l+P965+Express+ATX+Intel+Motherboard+-+Retail

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007