1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need to show device on pc with ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by chewbkka, Jan 24, 2011.

1. chewbkka

chewbkka Regular member

I need to change the password, since I forgot it but when I hook up the ipod touch to my pc and go to my computer it shows the device as a camera and not device g: my ipod. how can i change to the device and not the camera function. any ideas on how to get the password? thanks

2. culpeck

culpeck Regular member

Connect your iPod to the PC using the USB cord that came with your iPod. If your PC has recognized your iPod, you will find your iPod among the other drives under "my computer." If your PC has not recognized your iPod, move to step two.
    Disconnect your iPod from your PC by removing the USB cord from your iPod and your computer.
    Reboot your PC.
    While your PC is rebooting, reboot your iPod. Do this by placing the iPod on a flat surface. Using your middle and index finger, press down on the menu button and the center button simultaneously. If done correctly, the screen on your iPod should go black and then you'll see the Apple logo as it starts to reboot.
    Once the PC and iPod have rebooted, connect the iPod back to your PC following step 1. Your PC should recognize your iPod. You can check by going to "my computer" and looking for your iPod among your C and D drive. Also, if you have iTunes, iTunes should recognize your iPod and you should see your iPod under your music library.

3. chewbkka

chewbkka Regular member

thanks for the answer. I tried it for my Ipod touch and the screen went blank and reboot the pc but when I went to my computer there still was the camera icon next to my Ipod touch and not the g: drive. Do I have to hit restore on itunes home page to get back to the original settings for this. I need to have the drive shown so I can get in it to find the old password and change it to a new one.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

Got you. Yes you need to access the ipod like a disk. I have killed a password on an ipod. However, I do not know if you can do that with a touch. I think the driver is proprietary so you can't fix them yourself.