1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to speed up my internet

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Red1Golf, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Red1Golf

Red1Golf Member

Ok, here goes. I have AT&T DSL broadband. I am receiving 2.5 Meg service to my modem but can only get a throughput of 2.0 Meg when I check my speed. I have checked the speed with multiple sites and all are right around 2 Meg. I am using the Antivirus and spyware supplied by AT&T. It is Norton. I have no viruses or spyware on my computer. I have also cleared my cache and temp internet files. Nothing I do gets me any closer to the 2.5 I should be running. I would welcome any ideas.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (duo core)
    2 GIG Ram
    320 GIG HD

Thanks for any help

2. seat183

seat183 Member

Hey There. Can You Send your downstream and upstream stats that you are getting there is sothing not right with A) Your Line. Modem. Have You changed Your USB or ethernet cable ?, just incase although i doubt it.
    Let me Know ASAP .
    Regards seat183

3. Red1Golf

Red1Golf Member

Are you wanting the stats from my modem or the speed test results?

4. Red1Golf

Red1Golf Member

Here is what I think you want.

My Modem shows a connection of 2496Kbps Down and 512Kbps Up.

Frontiernet shows a throughput at 2090Kbps Down and 420Kbps Up.

AT&T shows a throughput at 2.118Mbps Down and 439.12Kbps Up.

5. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

yeah i got the same problem with ordering 3mbs but only geting 1mb throughput, its because of your distance to your provider i dont think you can do much about it but switch over to cable

6. Red1Golf

Red1Golf Member

Tbandit,

I ordered the 3.0 Meg service but can't get it because of my distance. My modem says I am getting 2.5 Meg but speed tests only show 2 Megs.

7. seat183

seat183 Member

This is usual broadband practice . waste of money get cable or were your friends are gettiing best speed get what service they have ur stats are ok.but ican see why it will be slow

8. techman2

techman2 Guest

Do you also know that there are two diffrent connection types the one that goes to your computer and the one from the TelCom to your modem

the one from the modem to the computer should be around 100 Mbits this is your LAN

and you Anti-Virus is a constant "live Protection" that will slow it down too.

and last the 2.5 Mbits that you are talking about that you should be getting is your max, thus meaning that you might not get that speed... you have to be withing (I think) about 18 Km of a C.O. (Central office)

past that it will slow down

Hope this helps

9. Red1Golf

Red1Golf Member

Techman2,

Thanks for the input. Let me explain in more detail. My ISP is telling me that I can get up to 3 Megs. That's what I paid for. The connection at my modem says I am receiving 2.5 Megs (I'm guessing because of the distance from the CO). When I run speed tests from the internet I get only about 2.0 Megs of throughput. If I understand right I should be able to get 2.5 Megs on the speed test because that's what I am getting at my modem right? My question is what is going on that I am loosing .5 Megs. I did not know that my antivirus software would slow me down but would it slow me down that much? Does everyone lose .5 Megs because of their antivirus software? The way I understand it, the maximum I could get and should be getting is 2.5 megs so why am I .5 Megs slower?

Sorry for the rambling. I am just trying to get the most out of what I got.

10. ID10Teror

ID10Teror Member

some things you can try is replace the phone cord that connects your dsl modem to the jack with as short as possible quality ph cord, do you have all your filters installed, try replaceing your cord and unplugging all devices connected to a jack, satellite dishes get missed a lot, and then do the test, try to do an ftp speedtest, ftp speedtest are more accurate measure of the actual line speed...one last thing is to see if you can read your lines stats from your modem,NOise margin down/up and Attenuation down/up... this will help identify where the issue is. goodluck with At&T tech support they are in the phillipenes(sp?)