1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need To Upgrade Computer. Will I be able to do It?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ass1243, Sep 9, 2004.

1. ass1243

ass1243 Member

Ok, I am looking to upgrade my computer but i don't know if it is possible. I have an older pentium 4 processor. Here are my system specs.

Windows XP
    Pentium 4 CPU 1.60 Ghz
    512 mb SDRAM
    Nvidia Geforce 64mb

My computer processor can only take SDRAM(maxium 512mb)
    I want to know if it is possible to upgrade it to a newer or faster processor. One that runs at a high processing rate good for gaming. Around 2.5 to 3 Ghz.
    Is it possible to take my PC in and they will remove my old one and install a new one? And if they can will my PC be able to accept DDR Ram and over 512mb of RAM?
    Which is better suited for gaming, a AMD processor or intel pentium 4?

2. SparkeyNi

SparkeyNi Member

download sisoft sandra it should provide you with details on your motherboard, more importantly it should tell you the max proc your board will support.
    it also wouldnt do any harm to contact your pc manufacturer support and ask them for upgrade details.

http://www.sisoftware.net/
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  3. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Regular member

Your best bet is upgrade your motherboard, preferably an asus or gigabyte. Then you can get from 2GB - 4GB of DDR RAM and 2.4Ghz - 3.2Ghz. It will cost alot bot it makes the gaming experience MUCH MUCH better.
    You would also like yo upgrade your Graphics Card to 128MB- 256MB. Depending on your financial situation this would be your best bet. But a motherboard that only supports SD RAM is too superseeded.

4. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

he doesnt want a tottal system over haul he just wants an upgrade he could go and buy a new comp if he wanted what your talking about
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well, I would not consider that to be a complete overhaul.

Anyways.....

Your CPU is fine, you are maxed out on SDRAM......

The way to go IMO (and as Wayne_T), would be to upgrade your motherboard for something that accepts your current CPU and also upto 3Ghz, and has DDR Ram.
    This way you will have a motherboard that can be upgraded to...........

You will notice the benfits straight away with DDR Ram over SDRAM, and your CPU will thank you for it aswell, cos with SDRAM, your CPU is being held back.

That would be the cheapest option to start off with.

Then see how it goes, then the next would be the Graphics card (as Wayne_t) suggested, 64Mb is ok, but for high resolution gaming etc, 128Mb is becoming a min. requirement.
    The trouble with the 64Mb one would be, that you will be pinching some of your main board memory.

Upgrade in stages, cheaper that way and you may find out that the CPU is the last thing you may require.
    The main thing is to have a motherboard capable of DOING MORE - and not maxed out straight away - that is what you have at the moment.

Therefore:
    Motherboard - DDR PC2100 256Mb Min but would recommend a start of 512Mb and above, support of higher CPU upto 3Ghz
    Then:
    Graphics card - 128Mb recommeded
    Then:
    CPU - AMD for gaming IMO, and P4 for video work IMO

Hope this has helped.........
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004