1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need urgent help with bulding PC

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by GuerillaX, Jan 21, 2009.

1. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

I have just built a new PC with the following hardware:
    Ace 480 Watts power supply [PSU]
    Intel Celeron D 2.66 GHz (from the PC i'm switching from) [CPU]
    Asus PSN-D nForce 750i [MOTHERBOARD]
    Kingston 4GB RAM (2x 2GB in first two slots) [MEMORY]
    Nvidia 9600 GT [GPU]

I set up the motherboard in the case, put in the CPU with the fan. put in one of the 2GB RAM sticks. put in the graphics card, plugging in the power molex cable thingy from the PSU into it.
    I turn it on and don't hear any beeps or anything. screen is blank.

I'm thinking that my CPU isn't compatible. but shouldn't it atleast beep or even show something on screen even if it's uncompatible?

Please help, would really appreciate it since I need this PC to work so I can progress with my Video Games Development course at college. need all that 3D graphics card power juice^^.

2. dailun

dailun Active member

The motherboard (Oh by the way it's P-five-N, not P-ess-N).

doesn't support your processor. It officially doesn't support ANY Celeron Processors, and only unofficially supports the newest Celeron processors.

I don't know why you would expect to get a message when you put in a part that doesn't work.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  3. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

ah, I thought so. thank you very much^^.

I'm thinking of buying a Celeron Dual Core E1400 and it says that it supports it on the CPU Support list on the Asus website.
    what do you think?

4. dailun

dailun Active member

It a tough decision when you're building a PC "backwards".

I'll admit that I'm not up on what's the best workhorse in that price range.

There's not a lot of choices in the "under $100 Intel" lits.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Right. There are several problems with that build. As dailun pointed out, the CPU is incompatible. Also, if you've built a new PC with a reasonable graphics card, a Celeron D will be hopelessly inefficient, it will be the limiting factor in games.
    The Celeron E1400 isn't really much cheaper than the other Dual cores in the US at least, you'd be wise to consider an E2180 or better yet, E5200. the latter are only $75.
    Additionally, you have a terrible motherboard. If it's new, you may as well return it for a decent one. You would do fine with a P31-ES3G or EP43-S3L.
    The 9600GT wasn't really a wise choice either, but it's perfectly usable, just not very good value.
    The Power supply is a big problem and should be changed IMMEDIATELY, regardless of the other components. Cheap crappy PSUs (which that is) go bang with no notice, causing damage to components, or fires.

6. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

okay, I'm going to change my PSU at least, but I can't change the motherboard since it'll take too long and time is bieng a bitch for my projects.

I can only afford up to the Pentium E2200 right now. should I get it? how much better is it then the Celeron E1400?
    oh, and I got the 9600GT cause I really couldn't afford an 8800GT. I don't really want over the top uber graphics. just something enjoyable.

thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The E2180 is 7 dollars more for 10% extra performance. The E5200 is only another 5 dollars more and is a full 30% faster again.

The 9600GT isn't much worse than an 8800GT. However, the HD4830 is better than either of them, and costs as much as a 9600GT, if not less.

8. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

i'm going for the E2200. thanks for your help, really appreciate it^^
    hope everything works ok now when I get the CPU.
    take care.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Note that I said E5200, not E2200. Losing out on 20% performance for the sake of 5 dollars is in my mind ludicrous, but oh well. Each to their own I suppose.

10. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

yeah I know. but the retaler I'm buying from in ManchesterUK, has ran out of E2180s and I can't afford E5200. just can't, lol. thanks anyway.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Right, I didn't realise you were from the UK. There are two main shops in manchester, Aria and MicroDirect. Have you checked both?
    edit: I've just checked and both have the E5200 in stock for £57.49 and £60.89 (MD, Aria respectively) The E2200 is £55.19 and £57.44 - a difference of £2.30 and £2.65 - is it really worth losing out that much for the cost of a sandwich?

(I think the E2180 and E2200 are eventually being phased out in favour of the E5200, that should speak volumes)

Relative performance

E2180: 100
    E2200: 110
    E2220: 120
    E6300: 102
    E6400: 117
    E5200: 138

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  12. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

yeah, sorry, I should've said that before.
    I didn't know about Aria, I always buy from MD. I just checked Aria and they have the E5200 for 52 pounds, and the E2200 for about 40 pounds. I only have 40 pounds so I think I'll go with the E2200.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The E2200 is 55 pounds actually, I just told you that.

14. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

Please help!

I managed to buy the Pentium E5200 Dual Core. I took out the 9600 and put in my old Geforce MX 440 PCI card, just for tests cause I'm using the same 480WATTS PSU and I thought that it might not be enough for the 9600GT. I've put in the E5200 with it's fan, the GPU card, one stick of the 2GB ram. then I pressed the power button and the same thing happend. the light on the board is on but it isn't making any sounds and nothing is coming on the screen. please help!

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You have plugged the 4-pin CPU power connector in, right?

16. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

17. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

maybe the bios too old? how do I check what version bios it is without seeing anything on the screen? lol, i'm so confused

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well if that is the case, the only option is to put in a CPU that does work. Since your older CPU didn't either, there's no real way of telling. Asus' motherboard CPU compatibility chart doesn't work at the moment (about the same standard as the rest of their products) so I can't really say what to do. However, as annoying as it is, I've already once suggested you change the motherboard for something better. The P5N-D is quite expensive, you could actually save money by changing it, as long as you've had it less than 30 days (in order to get a full refund)

19. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

hmmm, I'm thinking of getting another one for it, but its all open and plugged in and stuff. will they still take it back? should I send them an email? what should I get instead? will they give me my money back or replace it with another one?

20. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

oh, if it helps, i've bought it from the Micro Direct website.