1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needing help with TMPGenc and Virtualdub

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Dr.Who, Feb 16, 2005.

1. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Nope, not necessary. Leave audio blank if you're going to work with it all later when authoring.

2. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

What about the GOP header?

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Tmpgenc sould take care of that.
    Check the GOP settings tab.
    There should be 1 I, 5 P, 2 B.
    Output interval... 1 GOP.
    MAX number...18
    Put a tick mark in BOTH:
    Output bitstream for edit (closed GOP) and Detect Scene change, or simply hit the "Standard" button at the bottom.

4. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Ok, NO ERROR this time. Awesome.

But I noticed after I added the video and the mc3 audio file I created....

....when I went to start the convert over to dvd, it gave me a message stating the video was TOO LONG.

I choose ignore message and went forward in processing the convert, but if this is normal, how do I SHRINK the video and audio once its converted over to DVD?

I dont think I can use DVDShrink, so did I do somethin wrong again?

Was I supposed to shrink the size of the avi file before I converted it to mp2, somehow?

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

No, you don't shrink the avi.
    Tmpgenc has bitrate settings.
    What program told you it was too long?
    If that is tmpgenc (the encoder) 2.5 Plus, then just put the bitrate down a bit. Use the bitrate calculator I gave the link to.
    From the input you gave me, I said to use 5666kbps.
    This is based on also using 224kbps audio.
    If tmpgenc says that that it's too long, then either the audio is more than 224kbps, or the video is longer than you said (running time).

6. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

It was DVD author that gave me the message, after I added the video and audio files to it.

Nah, the running time is just as I mentioned before earlier, but perhaps I need to lower the bitrate from 5666.

Ill look at it again tonight and give you the size of the audio and how long it is in length as well.

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

From before, you gave me the running time, that's how I got 5666. If TDA say's it's too big, you can either re-encode at a lower bitrate, or use DVDShrink on the output from TDA.
    I have a feeling it's the audio. If it's over 224kbps, then the file will be too large.
    It's easier to resample the audio down, than it is to re-encode the whole video.
    Load it (the audio) into ffmpeggui, and resample it to 224kbps (if it isn't already), then it should fit into TDA. You could even go as low as 128kbps.
    If the audio is already 224kbps, then the easiest would be to use Shrink on TDA's finished output.
    Your other option, is to re-encode the whole thing again, to a lower bitrate.

8. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Well the audio mc3 file is 35.5mbs long. *shrugs*
    The avi file again is 01:43:27 (148,816 fr) runtime
    800 kb/s bitrate....

.......BUT!!....... I got some good news and some bad news....

This is weird. Even though I got a message saying the movie was too large when I pressed start in DVD Author, the size was like GEEZ..4438mbs long and was all in red.

Well, I clicked on DVD Writing Tool and to my surprise the file is actually only 1.1gbs long.

I wrote it to a dvd blank and it works. It plays in my dvd player, BUT it wont play in my panasonic portable dvd player, which is what I really wanted it to play on.

If I burn a regular DVD using DVD shrink and Nero, it WONT play on my home dvd player, but it will play in my portable dvd.

The picture is better, audio is crisp and clean, but it still blotches from time to time, but not as much as it did before.

Strange...... I wonder why its playing in oposite dvd players? Im going to try again tonight and re-write the dvd, using only Nero DVD rom and see what happens. Maybe Nero has a different style of finalysing the dvd. Idk.

What you think, Jim?

9. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

If it was all in red before, and turns out only 1.1gig, then TDA is simply reading the file wrong.
    You keep saying "mc3" audio, do you mean mp2, mp3, or ac3?
    Definitely burn with Nero. Choose the DVD VIDEO template, drag the VIDEO_TS folder from right to left, and burn.
    TDA's writer is a VERY basic aspi burning thing, and doesn't always work well.
    Are you burning to +R, -R, or +-RW?
    Check the specs on both players. It's possible one plays +R and the other -R, but not both...or one can play RW, the other may not...too many options ;)

10. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

oops, ac3. my mind is backwards today.

ok, sounds good. Ill try that. I also notice that in my results when the burning is set on max burning speed, I tend to get blocks and blotchiness in the video on playback. Ill use nero this time and set it down to x4 and see what happens.

I think we finally figured out this hell of a project. Thanks a bunch. Wish I could get you a beer or somethin lol

Now with my other movies, Im sure they will be different in some form or another. Either formatted as a avi, or mpeg file.

Do you suggest I set all my future movies, the same way whether the original file is avi or mpeg?

11. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Well guess what. before jumping up and down and celebrating with a nice cold one......

I redid the burning process in Nero Burning Rom with EXCELLENT results.

No error, no more blotchiness, and a good video and audio result. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I am going to enjoy watching this for sure, among now 400+ movies Ive got to backup from my harddrive now lol

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU again!

I still do need to know what you think I should do about my other movies I need to backup. Some of them are also avi, but some are mpeg. Not sure if mpeg1 or 2. I suppose I can use Gspot to recognize that.

A lot are Divx as well. I amagine depending on the formats they are in originally will determine how I go about converting them over?

Hopefully you will just say I can do this the same way as I did the AVI file. lol

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  12. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Do them the same way you did this one :)
    Doesn't matter what format they are, what matters is RUNNING TIME, and BITRATE. <grin>
    Divx is avi, it just has a different extention.
    MPG is mpeg, use virtualdub mod, instead of the normal virtualdub (I think we discussed that, and how to get audio out).
    Remember the BITRATE! Use the calculator!!!
    If in doubt, check again!
    Right on, Gspot will tell you what you have, and it's running time, so you know what to put into the bitrate calculator.
    I am SO glad you got the finished product you wanted, with far better quality than you expected.
    Yes, it's a long, steep climb, to learn all this stuff, but the results are to be proud of :)
    Kudos to YOU, for sticking it out. Most would have given up and just burned a frisbee in VSO <wink>

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  13. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Yah, I do thank you once again, rebootjim. That was a tough hike, but I aint no quiter, thats for sure.

Hey, rebootjim, whats that link again to the calculator? I must be blind. I went looking for it in the forum because you said you linked it or gave it to me, but I couldnt find it.

Ill probably need that calculator for further converting. Thanks

14. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

15. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Ok, awesome. thanks bro.

Ok, I took a look at the calcular and seems fairly simple to use.

Do I just need to use Gspot to get me the video length off the original and enter it into the Cal, or do I need somethin else?

16. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

That's it. The latest Gspot will read just about any video file format there is, and tell you the running time, any codec's needed, which ones would be used (in virtualdub for example), frames per second (take note of that!) and a ton of other stuff, including a (very small) preview.

17. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

ahhh crap.....

Somethin went wrong, Jim.

As I played the movie today during lunch, I noticed Nero only burned 30 mins of the movie 1.1gbs.

After 30 mins it cuts off and goes back to a chapter screen. I noticed its only one chapter and it states the time being little over 30 mins long. Thats it.

Im not sure what may have happened. Was I supposed to setup up chapters or what? How come it only burned 30 mins of the movie?

Other than that, the 30 mins I got to watch on the movie plays and sounds perfect. No problem.

crap, CRap, CRAP!!! lol

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  18. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

OK, walking through this, one step at a time:
    You editied the file in virtualdub.
    You frameserved it?, or loaded the whole avi into tmpgenc?
    You extracted the audio.
    You transcoded the audio to AC3.
    You encoded the video.

How long, in running time, is the m2v (use Gspot to check) that tmpgenc put out?
    If it is full length, how exactly did you author it?
    What program did you use to author it?
    After it's authored, look in the VIDEO_TS folder, and add up the total amount of bytes. Does this approximate the total amount of bytes in the encoded m2v + AC3?

19. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Hmmm...

Errr....(covers face) I loaded the whole avi into TMPGenc, but you never TOLD me to do frames. How do you do that?

Ill check on the rest when I get home tonight.

I feel its just a small correction I have to do, but probably will have to redo the final dvd convert.

I used TMPGenc DVD author to convert the ac3 file and the mp2 file to dvd.

20. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Just me being confused. :)
    Don't worry about frameserving just yet. That's a whole 'nother topic.
    OK...
    You got the audio out via virtualdub.
    You transcoded the audio in Ffmpeggui.
    You loaded the TWO files into TDA....or alternatively, you loaded the .wav from virtualdub as audio, and the avi as video into tmpgenc.
    Set it up, encoded, authored and burned.
    The only places I can see the process falling apart, are;
    1.)If the avi is corrupt and tmpgenc didn't get all of it.
    2.)Something you did in TDA, that it only authored the first chapter.
    I don't know squat about TDA, hate it, never used it, so I can't help you on that one.