1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needing help with TMPGenc and Virtualdub

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Dr.Who, Feb 16, 2005.

1. piyota

piyota Member

Can somebody answer my quesion above? My comp is almost full if I don't burn the DVD quick

2. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Piyota,

Far as I remember, Jimbo advised that you MUST convert the audio to AC3. Thats why your getting that error in DVD author. Take the audio file after you extract it from the original file, and use the GUI program I mentioned above to conver it over to AC3.

So after you conver the audio to AC3, you should then have a AC3 audio file, and a M2V (I believe) video file. Is this correct, RebootJimbo??

I believe THIS is the file formats you will need to continue with the convert in DVD Author

3. piyota

piyota Member

I haven't try to convert anything in the TMPGEnc DVD author, it just in the environmental setting, it says that it doesn't have the TMPGEnc AC3 pluggin.
    [​IMG] I wonder if my VOB file will come without sound if I don't have that pluugin.
    Another thing:
    If I use the GUI program, convert my wav audio file, into AC3, and a M2V, which one should I use when I add video in step 2 in TMPGenc DVD author. Thank you
    [​IMG]
    And how to delete the black rectangle in the menu ( we can choose a scene from the track,and it will appears in the rec, but I don't like it)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  4. Alhuin

Alhuin Member

Thanks for the help Shiroh. I tried doing the "date change" trick...but no luck with that either. So now, Im using The FilmMachine now. It works quite well...and lets me put borders on the side so none of the video will get cut off. Although...once I convert the file, it seems the audio is kinda quiet. I can barely hear it on my current setting... whereas I can hear my music from the other room. Is this normal? Or is there a setting I needd to change?

5. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Piyota,

If its stating its missing the AC3 plugin, Im assuming its a plug-in that you need to run DVD Author properly. Have you scoped out the plugin under the software tab, above on the site? Im only guessing, you may be able to get the plugin from there, or go to the offical site for TMPGenc.

Aside from that, Im not sure how you would need to get rid of the black box in the menu. That would probably be more of a question, Rebootjim could answer. Im still a newbie to all of this, myself and only learning from Reboot whats going on here, so Id ask him on these topics.

i can only help what Iave learned so far and what results Ive gotten

6. piyota

piyota Member

Thanks Dr. Who, but the pluggin is not free, you have to pay 4 it, that's why I'm asking if it's really needed or not! Can somebody help me? I'm out of money after paying for TMPGEnc DVD Author and Plus T.T.
    I can't find the program named TMPGUI you mention about, where is it? After I convert it into AC3, can I use the input file as mpeg2? Because I have converted all of the movie into mpeg2 in TMPGEnc plus

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

piyota, if you don't have the AC3 plugin, don't worry about it, you don't NEED it.
    Leave the audio track in, as what it is.
    AC3 audio is DVD spec, and if you don't have the plugin, I would use a different authoring app that can handle AC3 (like DVD Lab), and get my money back from tmpgenc.
    I don't know jack about Tmpgenc dvd author, never used it, don't like it.

8. piyota

piyota Member

So where should I download DVD Lab. If I use DVD Lab, the input is the same as MPG2, but the output would be AC3?

9. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Well, I played the vob and ac3 files in Showtime and THIS TIME it played all the way through! NO PROBLEMS. no cut out on video or audio.

I am now waiting for the burning to be done in Nero, and will SOON find out if this is IT!!!

(crosses fingers and prays for a good copy)

10. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

You can get a free 30 day trial of DVDLAB off www.download.com

Its good for 30 days only, then cuts you off and forces you to buy the damn thing.

OR.......if you have a P2P application or use Kazaa or DC, you can download it with a crack for free.....

(OOPS......did I say buttcrack??) I meant to say with a buttercracker!! lol

11. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

HEHEHEHEHEH...................................

aliiiiiive.......aliiiiiive....................ITS...

....ALLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its alive!!!! OMG FINALLY!!!! ITS ALIVE!!!!

Reboot Jimbo!!! ITS ALIIIIIVE!!!! Its working awesome!!

I have finally mastered the ways of the DVD force. (errr, almost)

YOU ARE MY MASTER YODA, JIMBO!!! The war is over, we can go home now....... lol

Man, when I was almost at the point of giving up, we FINALLY got this bad boy completed with NO ERRORS and NO PROBLEMS!! I have now a working dvd movie on disc in DVD format. PRAISE TO BE, PRAISE THE LORD AND THE GOD ALL MIGHTY!!! LOL ROFL

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  12. piyota

piyota Member

No worry, my uncle's company has it, he's gonna borrow it for em tomorrow. thanks alot, by the way, in the trial ver, when I import the file mpge2 , it said:
    [​IMG]
    Then, it extract the sound from the movie into 2 files seperated, is it right? Then I just have to add the AC3 sound right? Does the AC3 sound need to have the same name as the video file?
    When creating the menu in DVD Lab, does the black rec like above appear? how to del it?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  13. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Nah, you can name it from joe, to bobs file. Whatever you want. Long as you have 2 files.

One this is the audio file from the original file in AC3 format and the video file which should be in M2V format.

Once thats done, then open them both in DVDLab and follow the instructions that Jim advised me, and you should be all set.

14. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Hey RebootJim,

One more thing.....

I have also a few backups on file that have 2 segments. In other words, example (Terminator 3.avi CD 1 and Terminator 3.avi CD 2)

I may have read somewhere along this bible long journey how to joint connect both segments together to play back to back without pausing, but could you refresh my memory how thats done??

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  15. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Firstly, piyota, you should start your own thread with your own problems, and not butt into the middle of this one.
    I told you before, I know nothing about Tmpgenc dvd author. I think it's a crappy, over-rated, gimped up authoring app, but that's just my informed opinion.
    Yes, when importing anything into DVDLab, you should demux it. It's actually preferrable to demux it externally, or have your encoder output elementary streams.
    All menu's are blank, black, until you MAKE one, with whatever background/txt/colours you want.
    Read the DVDLab tutorials. http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220092

Dr.Who. NOW we finally got the product. :) Congrats.
    There are TWO ways to join a video in mpg format.
    Use tmpgenc's mpeg tools, to "merge". (I don't like this method, but some prefer it), or just author both mpg's in dvdlab, and manually connect the end of movie 1 to the beginning of movie 2.
    There may be a very slight delay going from 1 to the next, but audio will remain in sync much better this way.
    Remember the audio was 7 seconds longer than the video? Well, that 7 seconds of audio can make your second movie have a 7 second delay in it's audio, if joined before authoring.
    If you author it as two movies, you don't have that problem, nor do you need to manually cut 7 seconds off the first, before joining.

16. piyota

piyota Member

Sorry, I was just asking about the DVD Lab , I don't think you were mad. Thanks

17. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Piyotta,

It would make sense to start a new thread vs add-joining into this one, as to stir less confusion and force Jim and I to reverse the process back to help you to a thread that is roughly (almost) complete.

If you start a new thread, it will be a thread that will be under YOUR issue or problem and it will help Jim and others to determine from the start what we are working with.
    ======================================================

Jimbo,

To your reply,

So you think I should author both CD1 and CD2 seperately just like I did with this recent movie and then in DVD Author, join both together?

Hmmm, Im guessing I would HAVE to use DVD shrink if thats the case as just CD1 is 6 gigs alone. If I join CD 2 which according to the computers size is 4 gigs, Im looking at a joint segment movie being over 10gigs long. WOW.

Yah, I would have to use DVD shrink for this issue.

Yah, what I did to make this movie work last night, is actually, I didnt bother to make menu's or chapters for this movie. I just made the background and did a simple link to MOVIE1 chapter 1.

Most of my burnt movies are all one chapter straight through anyways. I look at it this way. If your going to watch a movie, watch it. Dont be flipping through chapter after chapter. LOL. But without question, it is now working.

So now all I have to figure out now is joining both segments in Author and using DVdShrink to shrink a joint file over 10gigs long down to 4.7gigs. lol

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  18. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

piyota, not mad at you, just a suggestion that will get you a lot more help, as people probably don't want to read all 7 pages of this thread.

Dr.Who, the movies could probably be re-encoded to a lower bitrate, so they don't need to be shrunk.
    DVDLab should author things that large with no troubles.
    If you do decide to use Shrink, you may have to shrink everything twice to get it down to fit.
    I don't often worry about chapters either, just a nice menu, with a play button, maybe a motion menu with an audio track. I figure the time it took to get the movie working right, deserves a menu worthy of the effort ;)
    In DLP, just make two movies, manually link movie 1 to movie 2. It's very simple.
    How did you manage 6 gigs on one disk? Is this a commercial disk, or someone burned a dual layer one?
    If it's commercial, once you strip out the menus, and alternate language tracks, and the subtitles, it's going to be quite a bit smaller. It's also possible there are two full versions of the movie on there, one 4:3 and the other 16:9.
    You said they were SVCD's, which would make them no more than 700MB each...
    Anyhow, if you have troubles with that project, start a new thread please, this one is done IMHO :D
    (When asked if you learned anything new, you'll have a much longer answer now ) lol

19. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

How did you manage 6 gigs on one disk? Is this a commercial disk, or someone burned a dual layer one?
    ===============================================

ACK, nm. Its almost 10 gigs for the whole movie, but the avi is only like 2 gigs long. nm. Blah, my head hurts.

Its 2 lengths on the harddrive, cd 1 and cd 2, but are both almost as long as 4.7gigs in size.

Nah, they are not on cds. I WISH!!! Id be happy if there were cds out there that could burn over 10 gigs of movie info on one cd. lol

But nah, all my 500 movies are on my backup 250gig harddrive lol. Just that some of them are TWO segments, each almost 4.7 in size.

So, what I meant was is that one of Star Wars movies is two segments, and if I join them manually in DVDLab, it would be almost 10gigs in size, 2 segments together.

But if using DVDShrink after I join both segments and convert both of them to dvd vobs, then I suppose I could do it that way.

20. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Again, I'll remind you, it doesn't matter one slightest little bit how BIG the AVI is.
    Use the bitrate calculator to get the size you need from the RUNNING TIME of the movie, so it fit's on one disk.
    If you have two segments, ADD the total running time of both together, then input it into the bitrate calc.
    Encode video in tmpgenc, audio as before in vdub/ffmpeggui, author in DLP, and burn :)