1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neph's POLITE Gun Debate

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Nephilim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

gerry1 please don't depart from this as you and I have a different view on some things I like your point as something to ponder over and your a perfect gentleman with your take on this. On another note the first law being put forth in Michigan that has any merit to give rights back to the citizens and not the crimnals is that a person breaking in can be shot with no repercussions to the home owner.The problem I have is how many people will go out and purchase a shot gun or pistol for home defense and never take a course on the using of these weapons for home defense or shooting in general.Since most home defense is aout 6 or 7 foot how many will be able to do the basic or get hurt or neighbors or passer bys.[like using a shotgun with slugs or a 44 mag 320 grainer]The only hope I see is the possible slow down of home invasions. But if it's the addicts that have got to get that high there past the point of caring so the vicious circle comes back to protect yourself if you have to, but pray there will be enforcement of the laws already there and no more leniency from the courts with full prosecution. This has been a very civil column basically and I enjoy the views of all but keep it toned since gerry1 is thinking about departing how many other people like myself have been following this up till I posted the other day and it started getting heated that I would like to see their different views also.You know like teach and learn I read and think and learn. Sorry about the long wind. Chris
    removing firearms from the hands of people using them for self-defense is definately NOT one of them. Sandt I totally agree

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I blame the mayor, in large part, because he has a great deal of political and social power to do good - or harm, including the planned blighting of neighborhoods. Specifically, he has the power to crack down on particular problems, enact tougher laws, and provide moral direction. Furthermore, as Pennsylvania's judges are elected rather than appointed, he does have some political clout - if nothing else, the bully pulpit - to hold judges accountable for handing down weak penalties.
    I mentioned a specific example earlier: That the Street administration is trying to kick the Boy Scouts out of their publicly-owned headquarters, rather than cracking down on gangs. The ostensible reason is the Boy Scout's position on gays in their organization, but the fact is, this is one of the few organizations out there that can and does draw young people away from trouble. Yet another example is how the city is spending time, money, and political clount investigating the owner of Geno's Steaks. Geno's, if you haven't heard, put up a sign to the effect of, "When ordering, speak English". Rather than simply let Geno's customer's vote with their feet (and wallets), the heavy-handed City of Philadelphia is spending money and time to investigate whether or not they can take civil rights' action against Geno's. Even if they could, the effect would be to run a world-famous, long-standing, tax-paying, tourist attraction out of town.
    And don't get me started on the the mayor and the Section 8 mess he and his party have let loose on Philadelphia. THAT, probably more than anything else, is the cause of the spike in Philly's crime rate. Politicians use Section 8 to run neighborhoods into the ground, so that they can be declared blighted and the properties bought up cheaply and redeveloped. Section 8 was, at one time, relegated only to a few, already f---ed up neighborhoods, but, courtesy of Street, Section 8 is moving outward, into nicer areas, like middle-class Port Richmond and further into Northeast Philly. Interestingly, what Gerry pointed out only seems to reaffirm my point and refute his: Ed Rendell may share blame for some of these problems (he was the mayor of Philly before he became governor), but Rendell was another far-leftist, who was elected mayor mainly because he has a (D) after his name. And Rendell, like Street and most of the city council, have tried to blame guns/the NRA/everyone else, rather than themselves.
    So, yes, the politicians deserve some blame here. Sure, parents, media violence/influences, drugs, etc. play a significant causative role in crime and violence, but they are not the only factors.

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Dunker, i agree with you 100% BUT theres a new rule here . read this

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/379741

this is from the man!!!!

we have hashed about every angle of this debate and this thread has probably ran its course. we will let Neph decide if it should continue

4. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Lot's of good points made here and 99% under control and softly stated and after the new rules and follow gerry1 having spoke my piece and let this thread rest. Thank you all for your points of view and giving me some meat to chew on. You all have a good day and maybe some day the peace will come without any more sacrificing of rights in any departments. Chris

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

*** I guess there's still interest so I'm happy to say that this one's open for business again :)***

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Nephilim, I'M glad you decided to keep it open. do you have any good sites to buy amio. need some 9mmm rounds

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Glad it's open again. I'll retract my bitch from the bitch thread. I was under the impression that you were made to close it.

8. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

You don't reload aabbccdd? Real easy to do if you pay attention bought my kit from Gander Mountain 30 years ago and it is still going strong. Unfortunately the laws in the states prevent one from mail ordering primers and powder and even bullets if I'm correct unless you have a federal firearms dealer license. Buy all my stuff lately from Bass Pro SHops, reasonably priced and well stocked.
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.OnlineShopping
    I stand corrected, they will ship Ammo via UPS, interesting.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

blivetNC, i don't reload the 9mm rounds its not cost effective BUT i do reloading my .45 shells

10. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I've gotten better accuracy using reloaded 22-250 Remington and cheaper, didn't realize 9MM didn't save as much, interesting.
    As far as home defense, kinda nervous about the apartment, townhome, and condo dwellers who use large caliber handguns. I personally would be nervous about discharging a firearm in close proximity to my neighbors in the case I missed and the round went through a few walls before lodging in my neighbor. Using a 12 Ga with #9 shot, I don't thnk it would go thru many walls at all. Never tried it and hope that I never find out, where I live now there is enough space between houses so I don't worry about missing with a shotgun.

11. sandt38

sandt38 Regular member

22-250 brass is alot more expensive (and difficult to come by) than 9mm brass ;). But nines are a dime a dozen, unlike the $20 250s

BlivetNC... Where in NC? We just had a Gander Mountain open in the Triad region (right at the Four Seasons Mall ;) ). I assume the Charlotte area since I see BassPro, but if the Triad is closer they have a nice reload section.

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah the 9mm ammo runs about 20 bucks a 100 at my local wal-mart so i just buy it

13. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

near Charlotte, I saw the Gander mountain commercials on the local channel. Bass Pro kinda spoiled me, a Toys-R-Us for dads. I just like reloading shotshells and rifle rounds to get them fine tuned for extreme accuracy, the funny thing is that I am using the same setup for the past 30 years, except for the bullets themselves.
    @aabbccdd, never priced 9MM rounds, didn't realize they were so cheap to begin with.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah thats what is so great about having a 9mm there great to target shoot with plus the ammio is inexpensive. i save my .45 for home protection and just shoot it occasionly btw heres a pic of my .45

[​IMG]

[bold] It's A Beast LOL !!!!! [/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2006
  15. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

don't worry about this post. my bad

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Bubba1982, why did you post that here?/ this is a gun thread and both sigs are within the rules anyway

17. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

i realised that both were fine directly after I posted. so nm.

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

well this is the second thread that you have done this in . did you edit the other post too?

WTF is going on tonight is it a full moon!!!

19. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Frangibles are designed to prevent that. IIRC, Glasers aren't supposed to penetrate sheetrock. I don't know how the penetration of Glasers stacks up against #9 shot, though.

20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've been reloading for nearly 20 years now and thoroughly enjoy it. I'm set up to load, 9mm, .45 ACP, .38 Special/.357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .44 Magnum, .303 British, .243 Winchester, .35 Remington and .223 Remington (I kinda like the hobby).

9mm can be had dirt cheap but if a fella buys his components wisely he can still save a few bucks and get great accuracy. I've a load I worked up for my Browning Hi Power that consistently shoots within 1.5" at 25 yards - better than any reasonable factory load I've tried :)

I have a Hi Power Practical like this one,

[​IMG]