1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neph's POLITE Gun Debate

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Nephilim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. michelle9

michelle9 Member

Aw gee shucks Nephilim, you got me blushing...lol

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

What, they want to ban assault weapons ?
    riiiiight...
    Why do i get the feeling i should be smacking myself about now for voting democrat ?
    Or did they make Bush give in as well *not very bloody likely*
    *feel free to bash me on this one folks, i mean it*

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Nephilim, thats gotta be the best post i have read in a long time

and The_Fiend no way Bush would give in on that

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Here in the UK, if someone is stealing my car & I see them from my bedroom window, I am not allowed to even point my rifle (unloaded BTW) at them. That is assault apparently! You think it's bad where you live, try living over here where you are not allowed to defend yourself, your family or your property with your gun. You are only allowed to fire at someone if your life is in genuine danger..Even then, you would have to explain why you had your gun loaded & why you did not ring the police.. You simply cannot win..

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Indeed. It really does suck tbh.

I'm *so* moving when I'm older ;-P

6. bombayboy

bombayboy Regular member

This is true. There was a case few years back, where a guy robbed this guys house, as the theif was running away with the loot he tried jumping the victims fence, as sustained a heavu injury to his leg. The thief was given compensation... i think he was let off lightly...

Long live the queen.

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Here in Louisiana, if someone is unarmed breaking into your house, you are allowed to shoot them. No problem. And since Katrina the crime where I live has sky rocketed. The Mayor's across the street neighbor, last week, was murdered in his driveway, for not having anything to give the young thugs.

8. Masterfit

Masterfit Member

I peersonally think that the "Castle Doctrine", which started in Florida, should be the rule EVERYWHERE!

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What my good friend pulsar posted is exactly the reason we need to keep fighting and never give even an inch. The anti gun folks know that there's no way they can ban them in one fell swoop so they keep picking away at what we can and can't have little by little. There's absolutely NO mystery to what their exact plans are and how they'll go about it. All we have to do is look at California to see them in action and what they want for our whole nation. It's a crying shame to think it, but we have plenty of folks that don't realize the Second Amendment is the one that guarantees all the others.

10. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@Neph,
    the 22-250 is amazingly accurate out to 300 yards, I have somewhere a group of 5 shots grouped inside of .15" at 10 yards with IMR3031 and 52 grain HPBT (Hornaday) fired from a Remington model 700. I think the velocity is around 3800FPS. One of those meeting Mr. Woodchuck's head results in instant vaporization of said grey matter. I tried some 40 or 45 grain bullets which keyholed on me, so I went back to the heavier bullet weights. 60 grain PSP seem to handle the wind better than the 52 grain. I'm interested to see what luck you have with the more modern formulas. 4200 FPS would be amazingly flat out to 200 yards I think.
    Spent most of my summers in high school and college trying to trim down the population of vermin on surrounding neighborhood farms. Crows were always the target of choice for most of the farmers. The all time personal record for connecting with a woodchuck was over 800 yards, and the longest crow was 400 yards. You'll love the 22-250 for prarie dogs. I've shot the .243 and the 6MM remington and I almost went with them, just liked the flatter trajectory of the 22-250.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  11. ireland

ireland Active member

I NO NEED A STINKING GUN!!!
    ANY ONE MESS'S WITH ME CAR,MY MONKEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YE..

edit and link removed

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Great one Ireland

13. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  14. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

15. ireland

ireland Active member

I STILL DO NOT NEED A STINKING GUN,I JUST NEED HER AROUND...

HOW TO SHOOT A BOW.wmv
    edit and link removed

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  16. Nephilim

Great links Dunker. It's heartening to finally see the anti-gunners get slapped in the face with "IT'S AN INIVIDUAL'S RIGHT!". I get so tired of their ridiculous claims that the Second only refers to militias.

I wish I could see the videos you're posting ireland but my windows box is down and (surprise, surprise) WMV doesn't play on an open source, 'free for everyone to use as they wish' OS like Linux. I'm sure there's a way to get them to work but I just haven't had the time to bother with it yet :(

On another note, I just picked up the newest Hornady reloading manual the other day (all my manuals are six or more years old) and was astonished at the ballistics of the new .223 Winchester Super Short Magnum. The fellas at Hornady managed to get their 40 grain V-Max bullet up to 4,600 fps in it!!! When I read that the first thing I thought is that thing has GOT to hard on barrels and sure enough at the end of the write up they said there was serious throat erosion after only 350 rounds. I'm sure a varmint hit at 100 yards with something going around 4,400-4,500 fps is spectacular but I don't think burning out barrels that fast would be worth it. That's when it's neat to have a friend idiot enough to buy something like that so you can see what it does without flushing your own money down the drain :p

I bet hold-over isn't much of an issue with that round!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  17. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

4600 FPS? I've seen a woodchuck's head vaporize with a 52gr. HPBT at 3700 FPS, (Bright pink cloud over the little fella) couldn't begin to imagine a head shot at 4700 FPS. Would make one serious splat when it makes contact with 'chucks snout. Heck, I used to go through 500 rounds in a summer of cleaning out varmints in the 70's, the barrel is still fine. Couldn't imagine rebarrelling every year, nope, not going to happen. I'll stick with the 22-250 for now, but may experiment with lighter bullets if I get some free time. I'm hooked on the 52gr. HPBT by the way.
    [​IMG]

18. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Ireland....great link! I feel a need for some traction just by looking at it LOL!

@Neph....Ohhhhh....you're gonna shoot these cute little guys LOL!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

lol gerry . man theres NO way i could unless i was starving

20. Nephilim

Blivet,

I'm with you about the rebarreling - I'm a man of rather modest means so I need to get the most out of my equipment that I can. So do you favor just any 52 gr. bullet or do have a favorite bulletmaker? I finally got a hold of that can of Varget I was after and want to try a heavier bullet too.

I've got a good chunk of sidework coming up and may make enough to add a new rifle to my collection. I've got my eyes set on a Thompson/Center Encore rifle in .22 Hornet. My Dad used to shoot a Hornet years back and I've always wanted something in .22 Hornet plus I love the single shot rifles and especially the T/C's ability to add barrels in other calibers.

Gerry,

Those are the little rascals I'll be looking for! In all honesty I've never seen a prairie dog in the wild that looked as healthy as the ones in the photo. All the ones I've seen have been mangy and covered with ticks - not a pretty sight.

aabbccdd,

There isn't enough left of those dogs to eat after they get hit. It's sad to say but I've heard first hand accounts of folks getting by on prairie dogs in some of the poorer parts of certain reservations here.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007