1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neph's POLITE Gun Debate

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Nephilim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

lol Nephilim especially with the guns you use!

and its about time Washington DC gets it right and let there citizens protect themselves. and the idiot major said it was a sad day in there history haaaaaa

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  2. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@neph, I have used either Sierra or Hornady, I really don't remember a significant difference between the two. Just wait until you hit a crow with one of those hot 40 gr bullets. Instant poof bird.

3. ireland

ireland Active member

[​IMG]

i can see it now,neph hunting for fresh meat for his table!!!!! or?

4. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

Hot damn. I thought hunting up here in Alaska was good...

5. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

6. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Sorry Ireland, Hunting and Nookie don't mix,
    (although they both are primodal drives in normal men...)
    Although I hear some blue staters consider looking for a good bottle of wine in a wine store a trophy hunt indeed...

7. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

8. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

*L*!!!!!!!!!

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

did you guys see the discovery channel show on weapons. they have a new sniper rifle that can hit a 4 foot target at over 2500 yards ,thats over a mile an a half. it was a 416 cal bullet, pretty amazing stuff

10. Masterfit

Masterfit Member

Hey blivetNC, where can I get me one of those shirts??
    I would wear it with PRIDE!

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

aabbccdd, saw that program about 2 weeks ago as i mentioned it to neph. the .416 is supposedly better than their .50cal version.

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah it was pretty cool, the design of the rifle and bullet plus the gun powder they used all contributed to the distance they were able to achieve

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the .50cal does the same thing as canadian snipers in afghanistan supposedly has the longest kill hit of 2 miles with the .50cal

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

2 miles WOW!!!!! thats amazing

15. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

16. Masterfit

Masterfit Member

Thanks,Dunker!

17. ireland

ireland Active member

Suicides Likelier in Homes With Guns: Study

April 10, 2007 03:55:45 PM PST
    Yahoo! Health: Addiction News

TUESDAY, April 10 (HealthDay News) -- The presence of guns in homes is strongly associated with higher suicide rates, a new U.S. study found.

Harvard School of Public Health researchers analyzed national data and found that states with higher rates of households with guns had significantly higher rates of suicide by men, women and children. In the 15 states with the highest rates of household gun ownership, twice as many people committed suicide than in the six states with the lowest levels of household gun ownership. All the states had similar populations.

Although guns are involved in only five percent of all fatal and non-fatal suicide attempts, more than 90 percent of all suicidal attempts using guns are fatal, the study said. By comparison, drugs are used in 75 percent of all suicide attempts but are fatal only three percent of the time.

Suicide is one of the 15 leading causes of death in the United States. Among people younger than 45, suicide is one of the top three causes of death. In 2004, guns were used by more than half of the 32,439 Americans who committed suicide.

The study authors said that gun owners need to take steps to make their homes safer. The findings are published in the April issue of the Journal of Trauma.

"Removing all firearms from one's home is one of the most effective and straightforward steps that household decision-makers can take to reduce the risk of suicide," study lead author Matthew Miller, assistant professor of health policy and management, said in a prepared statement.

"Removing firearms may be especially effective in reducing the risk of suicide among adolescents and other potentially impulsive members of their home. Short of removing all firearms, the next best thing is to make sure that all guns in homes are very securely locked up and stored separately from secured ammunition. In a nation where more than half of all suicides are gun suicides and where more than one in three homes have firearms, one cannot talk about suicide without talking about guns," Miller said.

http://health.yahoo.com/news/173942;_ylt=A9htd6LLGhxGksEA_wSmxbAB

18. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Ireland....Oh, you're asking for it! This ceased being the POLITE gun debate on page 7!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  19. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

One would think psychiatric help, intervention, counseling and so forth would be discussed way before guns but maybe I'm just weird that way. Taking away guns does nothing to solve whatever issues are making the person suicidal in the first place.

That study has been shown to skewed but in all fairness it's near impossible to find a "study" on either side of the gun debate (or any issue for that matter) that's entirely objective.

20. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

meh, we have too many people that are either ungrateful for the gift of life or too stupid to deserve it. they shouldn't be around to breed. ^.^ </end my thoughts>

would it be okay if i asked for pistol recommendations here, neph, or is that too off-topic?