1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neph's POLITE Gun Debate

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Nephilim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

For the other 10%, I have two words of advice
    Target Practice

2. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Or try, try, again!

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

LMAO! What a compassionate crew we are! We have one of the large subway stations beneath my office building and people jump in front of trains with some regularity; that must really hurt! Same with those who jump off the high buildings ... damn what a nasty way to go! Ah well, off subject.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2007
  4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Geez, I can just feel the compassion! :p

Blivet and garmoon, you fellas damn near had me spitting coffee all over my keyboard. Hot coffee out the nose ain't fun either :O

It's kinda hard for me to figure how someone could mess up with a gun but I imagine if life sucked before messing up with a gun it'd really suck afterwards.

On another note, I'm trying to get some pics of my reloading bench posted up!

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i'll take it as gun suggestion from other members are okay then, neph, as you didn't tell me otherwise. ^.^

i'm thinking a .32 caliber semiautomatic would be a good daily-carry weapon. bigger would probably be kinda hard to lug around and noticeable on me (i'm only 5'7") and smaller would have nearly no impact power, it seems. so, suggestions? that round size sound about right? i was thinking maybe a glock.

6. ireland

ireland Active member

Auslander
    this is what my bride has..

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...d=10001&productId=12753&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

* Lightweight Compact Alloy Frame
    * Matte Finish Stainless Steel Slide
    * Compact .45ACP
    * Low Profile 3-Dot Sights
    * 3 1/4" Stainless Steel Barrel
    * Traditional Double Action

The Chiefs Special has been described as the perfect personal defense pistols. The lightweight, compact design and unequaled reliability of the Chiefs Special deliver assurance that when needed you are protected. They are available in 9mm or .45 ACP.

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

How about one of the cute mother of pearl things for your handbag ;)

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it's hard being short and 135 pounds >.<

hmm...9mm is a consideration, for sure. no bigger, i don't think, though. that looks pretty good ireland, but i'm not sure it's for me. more ideas the better!

gerry, if i was gonna carry a handbag, i'd just keep a brick in it. ^.~

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Auslander, a short barrel 9mm would work fine i am about your size and i can pack it fine. plus the 9mm would give you much better fire power.

this statement is complete BS from someone that is definitely anti gun. i would bet this guy agenda would be to remove ALL guns from every household in America. which will never happen!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2007
  10. Nephilim

I don't believe Glock makes a .32 plus I'm personally not too whoopy on such a small round. Glocks are great pistols though. I'm looking to get my CCW this summer and my gun of choice to carry will probably be one of the mini Glocks in either .45 Auto or .45 G.A.P. Glocks are tough as nails, dead simple to use and the minis are real easy to conceal. My buddy has a Glock 27 (mini in .40 S&W) and I like it alot. It's not exactly pleasurable to shoot but its also not that bad. Powerful rounds in small pistols have their tradeoffs.

Kahr Arms makes some very nice compact autos in 9mm that are worth a look, although they are rather spendy. Many of the major manufacturers Like Taurus, Smith&Wesson and Springfield Armory offer some sort of mini auto for concealed carry too.

If you enjoy your guns you should look into handloading for them especially if you have a rifle. Handloading allows you to use the exact components your rifle shoots most accurately and you save money too :)

**edit - I agree with aabbccdd in that 9mm is the easiest to shoot from short barreled guns.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

hmm...it helps, too, that 9mm is a such a common round. in a bad situation, it would be easy to source.

i agree with you completely on the BS statement, aabbccdd. this guy is just one of the nuts that thinks giving up your rights for security is perfectly acceptable.

my mistake then, neph. i must have glanced over some articles and mixed two lines. >.<

thanks for the advice, but i hope it still keeps coming. i'll look into kahr later today and see what i can find. my concealed carry permit is still just over 3 years off, but it wouldn't hurt to have several years of practice with my daily carry before i get the opportunity to keep it on me.

and since we've kind of moved to rifles, what would you all suggest for a few good general-purpose, end of the world preparedness rifles? about all i have access to at the moment, rifle-wise, is a .22 at home. we can talk shotguns later. ^.^ i think maybe .30-06 caliber, but isn't that ammo getting a bit rarer these days?

all posts appreciated as i tap your brains like a frat party's first keg.

12. ireland

ireland Active member

if my bride can use that Pistol,ye guys can..
    she practice ever year at the shooting range for up to 10 feet
    with that Pistol she needs no brick in her handbag.

we figure if needed it would be with in 10 feet

i for got shes 110lbs and 5'2inches and 100% irish..

13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I've just had a change of heart about suicide; I just found out that I have to spend three days in Harrisburg for lectures on U.S. Free Trade Agreements ... jumping in front of a train sounds appealing right about now LOL!

14. Nephilim

There goes the coffee again...................................... :p

These are not only good for emergencies but are very handy and fun whenever,

Ruger Mini-14 cal. 5.56x45
    Ruger Mini-30 cal. 7.62x39 Soviet
    AR-15 from any quality manufacturer cal. 5.56x45
    Springfield M1A cal. 7.62x51
    Any quality bolt-action in the above calibers and 30-06

Common traits to all - use common easily aquired ammunition, extremely reliable and durable, adequate accuracy, easily obtainable parts, scoped easily (the Rugers are manufactured to use Ruger scope rings supplied from the factory with every rifle).

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

copied, pasted, and saved, neph. thankies. if it doesn't annoy anyone, though, i'd like to hear more about these recommendation; pros and cons, maybe. if that's too much, then i'll go search myself. :)

16. Buik

Buik Regular member

Minimum caliber for a personal protection hand gun should be the .380ACP. Compact, with just enough medicine to do the job. Have an "Astra Constable" that I really like. Wife wanted it so now I make do with a "Charter Arms Police Undercover", 2" barrel, 6 round cylinder & rated for +p.

TC

17. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

anyone know a good cheap but solid OC BB rifle?

18. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Well, the article shows that research is being created to justify new laws. The give away is that the lead author is "assistant professor of health policy and management". "Policy" is law-making.

Funny how the study fails to mention that Japan is virtually gun-free and has a suicide rate that surpasses ours by miles.

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i'd say it's the high-pressure, crazy-strict-honor of japan that does'em in, there.

20. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

ya they are going OTT with laws and scapegoats they fail to look at the real cause would rather blame a scapegoat of their random choseing than deal with the real issue.