1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neph's POLITE Gun Debate

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Nephilim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

my subie will go more quickly down the road, further off the road, and with less gas while lasting longer and hauling more gear less conspicuously. :p

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

There are laws against "flashing" a gun without legal justification. Assualt with a deadly weapon is a serious crime. People licensed to carry a concealed weapon aren't likely to go around "flashing". We know the consequences. I was taught from childhood not to draw a gun unless I intend to use it.

The right to bear firearms is a serious responsibility. Besides prosecution, I think it may be something of a deterrent to know when you start flashing a gun around, you could get shot.

There is a large portion of the local populace "packing. You rarely see a trace of the weapons and I've not heard of anyone shooting someone else in a years. That's small town America for you. I realize there are high crime areas, but that's often higher population areas where criminals like to congregate and the local government makes it more difficult to have a weapon for self protection.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i forget how the exact laws go, but it's something like you can display weapons on your person, as long as they are holstered, and you don't need a CCW to do it.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

There are serious restrictions. Among those is transporting a weapon in a vehicle. In most states it's illegal to have a loaded gun or a gun with ammo in close proximity. Many municipalities have ordinances against carrying an exposed weapon. My thoughts are if a person is going to carry a weapon, they should do it with a concealed carry permit so they won't be intimidating those around them.

Many states now honor the carry permits of other states. There's a database so licensees know where not to carry their weapons. It's best to have everyone on the same page when it comes to carrying guns.

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

transport the weapon in the trunk or it must be holstered around here, i think. but you can still wear it. i don't remember. all i care about is getting my permit and keeping an ankle holster on ^.^

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

In most of the United States the gun or the ammo, or both have to be locked in the trunk. Most states agreeing to CCW permits allow weapons in a car, but the owner had best be very careful. If stopped for any reason by law enforcement, hands should be in clear sight and the first thing shown should be the permit. Cops don't like surprises when it comes to guns. Some towns forbid carrying guns and some try to go as far as saying legally licensed CCW owners have to have a local permit as well. Sort of hard to do if a person is passing through. That's why I mentioned the CCW database. CCW permit or not, it's still illegal to carry guns into government buildings and schools. It's illegal to carry weapons into a bar. Many businesses legally post against firearms and the law requires the request be obeyed.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

all laws that should be eliminated, IMHO. ^.^

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Opinions vary within the gun carrying community. Most of us have our complaints. There needs to be some controls.

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

bah. no harm can come from people shooting other people. especially if we got china to do the same.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Such light comments are what the anti gun movement feeds on.

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

nothing i say on this forum really makes any difference to the situation, though. my feelings are that anyone who's actually dumb enough to fear guns and not the people using them should win some darwin awards.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I agree with you wholeheartedly on that. But part of the anti gun activity is searching for every last example they can find of irresponsible gun owners. Never believe they don't troll for off hand remarks on the internet to help support their point of view. When I'm setting at the pub and having a few brews with my mates, I joke about the tree huggers and wimps afraid of loud noises. However, in the public domain I try to give anti gunners as little to use against gunowners as possible.

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

nothin' wrong with treehuggers like myself. global warming is real and not good ^.^ it's only the extremists that get annoying, but that's true with any political stance or belief system or anything else.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The extremists are the ones who usually catch the brunt of the humor. I believe in conservation myself. I reserve "treehugger" for the radicals. To go OT a bit, I don't doubt there is gradual global warming. The growth in human population and deforestation is playing a large hand in our climatic changes as well as burning fossil fuels. When people wise up and look at the over all picture instead of trying to play according to a limited agenda, a better view of reality is possible. The planet could do with more plants, fewer herd animals (including man), and fewer machines of all sorts. And I don't mean go shooting people either. Instead of 0 population we need negative population growth so the population gets smaller instead of increasingly larger. That steps on more toes than gun control. LOL

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

steps on lots of religious figures that don't believe in contraception. i really don't understand why people are still breeding so much. >.<

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Isn't it amazing? Condoms are more dangerous to the population than guns. LOL

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i'm up for chemical castration for 9 out of 10 people. random lottery ftw! hmm...no...wait, let's try for people that are too dumb to breed. evolution is slowing down. >.<

18. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

edited don't get shot, but the people that don't need to be shot (John Lennon, Martin Luther King, Tupac XD, JFK, Lincoln) Do get shot... Does that mean that the assasins are fanatically loyal or insane?

And to control population you could just have the one child policy. But I wouldn't have been born if that was enacted before my birth :p

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

who says who needs to be shot and who doesn't? balance is the key to the universe.

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

That's where comments start getting irresponsible and the conversation is no longer being polite. No one deserves to be assassinated or murdered.