1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neph's POLITE Gun Debate

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Nephilim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I agree with the staff, discussing murder and assassination is inappropriate. There's nothing constructive to be gained from it. But since a statement was made, I have a question. Who is a political assassin viewed as a hero, (not an act of war, but a clear case of political assassination)?

Executive Order 11905, issued in 1976 by President Gerald Ford, reads: "No employee of the United States Government shall engage in, or conspire to engage in, political assassination."

I don't think the order has been rescinded. Until it is US policy is against assassination. Most countries don't have anything denouncing assassination and that is the only directiive stating the US shouldn't engage in it. Countries have indulged in the practice for thousands of years. I'm not qualified to discuss the right and wrong of it, but the current US policy forbids it. Saying someone deserves to be killed over another is not considered polite gun discussion. Now if someone was to start a thread on Violence, Murder, and Mayhem, that would be another story. ;) I have a feeling that would be more insane than the staff would allow.

You're right, assassination, murder, and political theory are carrying the discussion away form polite discussion of guns, and gun laws. Only one other discussion topic develops as much animosity and disagreement as political philosohy... that's religion.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  2. Spyder22

Spyder22 Regular member

i think guns should be outlawed so olny the outlaws have em,.......and the cops that take an eternity to arrive on scene

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

sounds kind of like what happened at virginia tech, eh? where students get expelled for having weapons, even if they have a concealed carry. imagine if just *one* of the people who saw that shooter had been carrying...we might not have had 32 deaths that day...maybe as little as one.

police procedure slows them down; when you're denied the means to defend yourself, you're S.O.L. :-(

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I don't think I'd have had any problems shooting that guy, regardless of whether I was "friends" with him or not.

I want to qualify as a marksman too.. need to find a gun club near me. Hmmm...

Btw, SOL? So out of luck? heh

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

*something* out of luck. ^.~

i'm a fair shot; won a few awards in the boy scouts and all. fairly confident i'll pick up my CCW without problems; gun safety and common sense ≠ rocket science

6. Spyder22

Spyder22 Regular member

this is the type of mentality that is going to allow our freedoms to be flushed down the can

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i think it was said half-jokingly, spyder.

*edit*
    i do agree with pacman's earlier sentiments, though. i suppose we should definitely be more serious on this subject. you never know who's reading.

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Kind of side tracking here, but does anyone know of any liscences which let you carry a gun in a country which doesnt alow it. I mean besides police/government related things..

I suppose not. Just wondering.. ^.^

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i don't think you can carry pistols period in the UK, unless you're working for the government or maybe as some kind of personal security employee. you have have rifles and shotguns, but require a license. at least, that's what i've been told. but that's about the extent of your weapons privileges there.

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Hmmm, that's useless. Lol.

Thanks anyhow Brandon.

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you live in the ol' kingdom, Freund, not me. could always call up your local government or something. ^.~

if somehow you manage to acquire a legally-carried weapon, jack, i want you to wear a cowboy hat and boots whenever you strap it on. and talk with an texas accent. XD

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'll send you a picture the day that happens :p

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

No handguns in the UK for the general public. Only rifles & shotguns allowed. You can get a shotgun fairly easily, rifles are a different matter. To get your Firearms certificate (FAC) you have to jump through hoops, have a clean criminal & mental record. You have to justify each & every rifle you want (including moderator). You have to have land to shoot on. Similar rules with your shotgun, with the exception you can have as many shotguns as you like & can keep your cartridges wherever you wish (under your bed if you like!). I can only have one .22 semi-automatic, if I wish another I have to justify it. I can also have a .223 bolt action + moderator.

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

silencers are illegal here. :-(

we have to make our own...

15. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I can imagine they're very crude silencers Aus?

Thanks for the info Pulsar.

16. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Here is my baby,

[​IMG]

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

fiberglass and steel wool, or plastic piping/aluminum sleeve and some ingenuity. they're just as effective, and look pretty decent if you've been making them for a while.

18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Here is an extract from a previous post of mine on the subject

"I live in the UK & the gun laws are incredibly tight. If you have a criminal record (violent crime etc) you have no chance of owning a gun. You need land to shoot on, have a good reason for owning a gun (main reason is vermin control for a rifle, clay pigeon & vermin control for a shotgun). You then have to apply for each calibre & type of weapon, i.e. bolt action or SLR. The forms to fill in are quite extensive, you need 2 referees to confirm who you are & your competency. If you have depression you cannot own a gun.
    After all that you then have an interview with the local firearms officer. This is to get a general feel of you as a person & to see how much you know about firearms, ballistics, ricochet problems etc! He speaks to you for about an hour, he then lets you know if you are OK to own firearms."

19. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Jeez, what a long process. Be easier to move to the US. LOL

Nice gun pulsar; is it a Heckler and Koch? I recognise the G model design, as I own a G36C in airsoft. Might be wrong, though.

@Aus: Oh right, cool :)

edit: scrap that pulsar, i did a google and it's a walther?

20. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it's funny to me that silencers are legal there, where it's so hard to get a gun, while they're illegal here, where quite literally anyone can get a gun if they want.