1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neph's POLITE Gun Debate

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Nephilim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Getting a CCW permit is more about applying common sense than marksmanship. Knowing how to properly handle a gun and care for it holds precedent over marksmanship. The shooting segment of my test consisted of putting so many rounds into a combat silhouette target at close range. I'm no great shot, but was able to accomplish putting all rounds into the target at high speed by pointing the gun instead of taking careful aim. No extra points were given for hitting the kill zone.

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Yep, a Walther G22, I love it to bits....

She is not too keen on supersonic rounds, only subsonic, she likes Winchester Super X

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

thank you, pacman, for not really paying attention to all of my post. -_- did you miss the part about gun safety and common sense? i realize they apply and noted it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Pulsar
    Would they think a man nuts if his excuse for ownership was to look at the gun? LOL Some of us collect certain guns because they're limited issues and works of the gunmaker's art. I have one pistol that I may never fire. Another I own is becoming valuable to where I've limited how much I shoot it. A collector would be somewhat out of luck wouldn't he?

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

a collector wouldn't take his collection to mucky ol' england, anyway. all that rain and moisture..hello rust! :p

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I caught your drift and was agreeing with you. My emphasis was meant to be on having taken the test and considering the shooting test so easy a person could pass it if they could hit the side of a barn with a broom. I think the shooting qualification should be more difficult.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

might be best if the person was a better shot, though. if they whip it out in self defense and can only hit the broad side of a barn, good chance they'll wing someone else. >.> exactly what was the minimum for aim when you went through? did anyone fail because they were such a poor shot?

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Auslander
    No one failed. I don't know if it has something to do with local culture or what, but most people who carry a gun in this region are competent to good shots. I'm sure there are the exceptions, but they don't show themselves often. I said I didn't get extra points for hitting the kill zone. That didn't mean I didn't put most of them there. I've qualified as marksman with both rifles and handguns. I took a combat stance (sideways angle to the assailant) and sighted along the ramp instead of trying to look through the sights on each shot. That's how I was instructed for close range combat shooting. If an assailant is close as the target was placed, taking time to get into a target shooting stance and acquiring a selected kill shot would allow the assailant time to run up and stab you with a knife or hit you in the head with a bat or all of the above. I was showing I was able to get the weapon into action in a timely manner (not a requriement, one of the instructors was an old classmate). I fired faster than anyone else in the class and all rounds were in the silhouette (most in the chest area, kill zone). No one in the class missed their target. I'll put it this way, I wouldn't want to be in a gunfight against any of them.

It's been a few years, but I think minimum was hitting a man sized silhouette at 20 meters with 8 out of 12 rounds. As I said before I think the standard should be higher. As for competency there are 4 cardinal rules taught along with shooting skills.

1) When handling a firearm, always treat it as if it is loaded

2) Always point your firearm in a safe direction, unless defending yourself or others

3) Never place your finger inside of the trigger guard until on target and ready to shoot

4) Be sure of your target and what is beyond it

Number 4 covers shooting bystanders.

The instructor suggested students use a revolver for qualification because they're easier to open and clean. An auto was supposed to have the slide and barrel removed for cleaning. One student almost failed due to not being able to remove the slide. The instructor gave him an exemption when I pointed out that model (Colt Woodsman) required disassembling the grip and part of the frame to remove the slide. Here's the gun I qualified with. Note the sights aren't much more than looking along the slide (fixed low and quick acquisition).

[​IMG]

9. Spyder22

Spyder22 Regular member

what i said about baning guns i said scarcasticly. i was just quoting myself, making a point. im all for self defence an a gun is the most effective tool for doing just that.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I caught the sarcasm. The original phrases are: "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"; and "Where are the police when you need them"? The first is a self perpetuating truism and the question is an often asked one. The way you phrased them it sounds as though we should give up and allow the criminals to have the guns and resign ourselves to law enforcement always being too late. You commented on your altered quote(s). I caught your meaning, but it didn't clarify your words. Obviously your attempt at dry humor didn't reach everyone. When taken the way factions want to see things it could be used for either pro or anti gun arguments. As for the answer to the question, anyone living outside the station will receive aid too late if deadly force is being used and they can't defend themselves.

11. Spyder22

Spyder22 Regular member

i got shot down, kinda......lol

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

They came a huntin for you with a howitzer. ;)

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Since it was a blah Tuesday and I've been shopping for a replacement for the S&W wheelgun I let go, I decided to go ahead and make a purchase.

[​IMG]

It's a Model 627 from the Smith and Wesson Performance Center. It comes with cocobolo grips and a rubber set, plus the moon clips. 5" barrel, gold dot front bead and adjustable rear sights; this is a good target gun as well as a self defense weapon.

Nephilim
    Does the Mark 1 have a red or black emblem?

Edited: typo on gun model #

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  14. Masterfit

Masterfit Member

[​IMG]
    I carry a
    springfield Champion .45 for everyday use but just in case this is my backup, beautiful little American Derringer that shoots Colt .45 or .410 2 3/4 shotshell just in case......

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I guess guns are like everything else, everybody has their own opinions and favorites. If carrying a derringer I'd go for the 9mm or 45acp for compact size with a punch. If getting a gun as large as the long colt derringer, I'd as soon have a 380 Walther PPK or Airweight 38 Smith Chief.

16. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I have had a carry permit since I got out of the Army in 1972. My first choice back then was a SW model 60 38sp in stainless. I put pearl grips on it and gave it to my wife a few years later and now carry a Walther PPK/S 380 in stainless most of the time. In the winter when I have on a heavy coat its usually one of my 9mm. My wife won't part with her model 60. Its all a matter of choice but as stated before, 380 is about as small as you should go. Someone thats high on anything may not even feel a 22 or 25.

I do feel that no one should be allowed to purchase a weapon or get a carry permit without proper instruction and tests first.

Jerry

17. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Good to see you Jerry! It's good to see your wife protecting herself. If more women carried I think the "rapist" booth at the job fair might have to close down. I see you carry a true classic! Walther make some very fine firearms. The .40 cal S&W SW99 I carry each day is only half Smith. Walther makes the frame then Smith tops it off with their slide and barrel. Basically it's a Smith & Wessonized Walther P99 and you can even see both Walther's and S&W's emblems on the frame. It stands to reason since S&W is Walther's US distributor.

[​IMG]

Pacman, isn't that a Model 627? Either way its one gorgeous wheelgun! Those cocobolo grips are stunning. So how's she shoot? My Ruger Mark I has the black and silver emblems - no early red ones for mine ;)

I've a birthday coming in about a month and I believe I'll be trading in my Ruger 96/44 lever action 44 Mag towards one of these pea shooters,

[​IMG]

I traded in a 44 mag revolver for the lever action thinking I'd enjoy and shoot it more than the revolver but it didn't turn out that way so it's back to a .44 sixgun for me. I've had outstanding experiences with the Taurus guns I've owned and can't wait to get my hands on one of these Raging Bulls. The last Taurus I picked is a reproduction of Winchester's old model 62 slide action and it ended up being not only extremely well made and finished but also the slickest little .22 rifle I've ever owned or shot. Most the folks that shoot it don't want to give it back :p

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=418&category=Rifle

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Nephilim
    It was a typo on the gun model and I didn't catch it. Guess my finger didn't press the 2 hard enough. That is the Model 627 sku_item #170210 from the Smith & Wesson Performance Center. The local dealer didn't have one, so I had one shipped from OK. It's supposed to be at the local gunshop by the weekend or early next week. I won't complain about the mule train shipping because I got a good deal on the gun and the shipping and handling are free (except I pay a transfer fee to the local dealer).

You keep coming up with those nice guns. I think the S&W/Walther combination means better guns at lower prices. I like the S&W Walther PPK design better than the Interarms. Dealers are pushing older is better, but I don't buy it. They're just trying to move the older stock Walthers. Notice the area around the hammer. If you don't watch your grip closely on the old models, you could get bitten.

I like the 44 Taurus you chose. The Raging Bull has some nice features, especially the barrel porting. I like that on a heavy caliber. Taurus are good guns with surprisingly decent pricing. I'm just more partial to Colts and S&W when it comes to revolvers. They make good pistols as well, but as you've noticed, I've branched out into the market for some choices. 3 of my personal keepers are Smith. I've let my Colts get away. Though not a Colt, I'd still like to have another 1911 in my collection. I'd love to get a Bill Wilson signature to remedy the situation, but I can't fit one into the budget anytime soon.

[​IMG]

We were talking 44 revolvers though. Here's the 44 I'd like to own. 44s are a little heavy to carry all day.

[​IMG]

19. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

44mags are fun to shoot on a range but I don't think I would want to carry one around either. I'm just too small for something like that. Best shooting wheel gun I ever owned was a 357 DAN WESSON. I had 3 different size barrels for it in 2 inch, 6 inch and 8 inch with a scope mounted on the 8 inch heavy barrel. Those were do it yourself guns that could be changed into anything you wanted easily. The frame was somewhat bulky for carry though. Of course it was stainless too, like most handguns I buy. I sold it about 4 years ago to a guy for almost double what I had into it.

Jerry

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I owned a 6" blue Dan Wesson several years back. I never got the extra barrels. I had a shoulder rig for it. It rode upright under my arm and the bottom of the holster anchored to my belt. A vest or light jacket was all that was needed for concealment. I could get the gun out and on target as fast as smaller autos. One of my friends was so impressed he wanted it more than I did. LOL It was everything a person would want in a 6 shot revolver of that type.

I've had a few nice guns in the past. I think I've settled down now and won't be buying and trading as much in the future.