1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neph's POLITE Gun Debate

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Nephilim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

There was something about how that front barrel nut tightened up that made those guns very good for target shooting. My 8 inch barrel with the scope was always right on sight again even when changing barrels back and forth to different sizes. Guys at the range use to ask how much re-sighting the scope needed when they saw that barrel in my case. I would pop it back on in about 2 minutes and hit the target dead center without any other adjustments and just smile at them.

Jerry

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey fellas. :)

Nice little thread you guys have here. I wish that I could add something more than a hello and how are you doing but that's really all I can add at this point. :)

I do have an AirSoft pistol (2 actually) and the oldest digs it. A Pietro Beretta 92FS and a SigSauer P226. LOL I know but that's all I have to compare to you guys. Any kind of weaponry scares the heck out of me with 3 very curious kiddies runnin around the house. ;)

@Neph,
    YOu ready for that prairie dog hunt yet? :) Coming in June right?

....gm

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Keep them dogs fat for me!

My brother sent me this link to a 30 min clip Penn and Teller did on gun control. It is simply brilliant,

http://www.pistolwimp.com/media/60509/

I've been having a ball getting into this bullet casting. I've figured out the temp setting on the furnace that keeps the melt just right and I'm getting pretty good at holding the right pace to keep the mould blocks at the right temperature too. Too cold and the bullets drop out looking like little raisins. Too hot and the bullets take on a frosted appearance (doesn't hurt anything, just looks funny). Just right and they drop out of the mould nice, smooth and silvery.

I also figured out that the wheel weights I'm using need some tin added to the alloy for it to work best. Tin reduces the surface tension of the alloy which allows the melt to fill the mould more completely and avoid the air pockets in the bullets I was getting.

Unfortunately physical therapy is using up my Raging Bull money so it's gonna be a while before I get one sniff.....sniff :(

I hope everyone is in good health and happiness :)

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  4. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Neph,
    One hasn't lived until you blast a few woodchucks. Go to a hunted area you will see lots of smart, grey haired woodchucks who may have a furrow or two from a near miss, who have the uncanny ability to spot a person who can shoot. Those are the tough ones to hit, they may only show the top 2 inches of their head while keeping a sharp eye on you, approach within 200 yards and they are gone. Those, are the ones you appreciate the most.

5. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Dick's being a dick and won't link me to a rifle.

For what it's worth I'm looking to pick one of these up to take care of the pigeons that have recently taken up residence in the backyard and do nothing but poop in my fountain all damn day. I tried some .22 CB caps and although they did a number on the pigeons they were too loud and I don't want to be popping off metallic cartridges in the backyard anyway.

Where would a guy in Arizona have to go to find woodchucks? They sound smart as crows when it comes to knowing who's going to shoot at them.

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  7. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Mainly in the Northeast from what I've seen, I rarely see one down here along the roads, but in Va and MD they are everywhere. They live almost solitary, not in communities like your lil' buddies out there. My mother in law first saw a prarie dog in Montana while stationed there, thought her whole backyard was filled with huge rats.

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

The Bloomberg Gun Giveaway!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2963507

Well, I'm going to play the devils advocate once again and see if I can do so without being called names and remain true to this thread's title.

With gun deaths in NYC being linked to blatently illegal gun sales in Virginia, Pennsylvania and other states resulting in investigations and prosecution, Virginia gun dealers stage a "Bloomberg Gun Giveaway" mocking the NYC mayor's attempt to crush illegally sold weapons killing people on the streets of his city. Some admitted that they were wrong in selling weapons to convicted felons while many in VA seem to support the practice regardless of the fatal consequences. Hmmmm.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  9. greensman

greensman Regular member

/me Sits back in easy chair and waits for the fireworks to begin. LOL.

Gerry1 you are all over the place ain't ye? :)

....gm

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Greensman...LMAO! I guess I'm in one of mischievous moods! Actually, if you'll look at the first few pages of this thread, it was a good discussion until someone got nasty and it just turned into a gun enthusiasts thread!

Yes, I guess I am everywhere today! Its been a week from hell here at the office so I plan to do as little as possible today LOL!

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

gerry there are 250 million guns in the great USA if we outlaw them will the bad guys turn them in?? i think everyone knows the anwser to this one lol

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@aabbccdd...welcome back guy! Well, you're certainly right; if we outlawed guns, it would take probably three generations or so before the guns found their way off the streets and find ourselves with a (Relatively) gun free society even among theives and murders. With gun laws so radically different from state to state from the harshest to virtually none at all, then any gun control anywhere must, by virute of lenient states who, as these suits target, don't care if someone has a felony record or not, then gun laws can't be effective anywhere.

While the right to assemble, free speech, freedom of religion etc. have served us well ... the "right to bear arms" ...not so much.

From the oldest of times from the days of ancient Sparta to our own revolution, nations, including ours, relied on the "farmer warrior" who essentially bought all his own equipment including firearms which the brits had outlawed. The second amendments address the needs of these "farmer warrriors" ... it addressed the needs of a "well regulated militia" need to protect the state ... this well regulated militia was made up of ordinary citizens who made up for the lack of a real military which we now have. "The people" are no longer a low budget militia substitute for a real and well supplied military such as the brits had. The people to whom the second amendment is address no longer exist (in my humble opinion).

How about a healthy comprimise? When the second amendment was written, the most sophisticated weapon around was a muskett ... I have no objection to anyone owning one of those LOL!

13. michelle9

michelle9 Member

Actually gerry 1, from what I understand, the founding fathers when they wrote the second amendment had more on their minds than just being able to call upon the populace for military support in case of an attack, but to protect ourselves against a tyrannical government. Thomas Jefferson said "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

and its almost to that point

15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@michelle9 ... but even if that verbage was indeed included in the second amendment, its time to concede that it hasn't worked as planned. The constition is a marvelous document but not a flawless one. It was written with the particular brilliance of being a living, breathing and changable document, not a static ten commandments. We must amend and recend in the spirit with which the document was written though I'll admit that we waited so long that its now probably impossible. This isn't 1776 anymore and the second amendment is being used in a way unintended by the second amendment or, indeed, by the words you quoted. I think it time for 2nd amendment v.2 LOL!

(I still think we should limit it to musketts!)

16. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Gerry1,
    I still think we should look at how many people die each year from stupidity behind the wheel versus domestic gun shootings and robberies/assaults. I still think the cell phone is the deadliest assault weapon on the planet right now.

17. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

That's pretty far from the truth; the First has been an abject failure. Crap, man, I can fill a full-sized textbook on how badly we need to regulate the First, and how little it does to protect real freedom of speech anyway. Frankly, I can see a need to regulate it far more strictly than the Second. The Second Amendment, at least, has largely kept a lid on things, and that's why we're more free here than people in most parts of the world, including many industrialized nations. But the First Amendment, in it's current interpretation, is at the center of many if not most of societies problems, not the least of which being that it is allowing (or, better put, is the excuse use by) those who want to poison children's minds with violence; had "Assault Media" been nipped in the bud in the 70's and 80's, as many had wanted, we wouldn't have nearly as much of the general disrespect, nasty attitude, glorification of violence, etc. that we see in society today - especially among youth. And it can be undone - albeit not quickly, it might take 10 or more years - if we were to start now.

18. onya

onya Guest

Since you just happen to be the "flavour of the month" just look at the way we Aussies tried to curb the limits. We actually paid for the "hand back scheme"...was it succesful, well in away the answer is yes. Did it stop the bad guy's........the answer is a resounding NO!

19. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@onya ... my hometown of Philadelphia alone has had 105 murders in the first quater of this year; two more than new york city which had two less but thirteen million as opposed to our two million. That's just the first quater. I can't say with any certainly but I think just our city of two million with 105 murders in the first quater exceeds the whole of Australia in the entire year. You guys must be doing something right.

20. ireland

ireland Active member

The U.S. Constitution and 44 States have Constitutional provisions enumerating the Individual Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

States With Right To Bear Arms Provisions In Alphabetical Order:
    http://www.saf.org/Constitutions.html#With