1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neph's POLITE Gun Debate

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Nephilim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

=============================================================
    M.P.D is auto fail :p

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Don't tell our other selves. LOL

Greensman is right. I think we all agree the idea is to keep weapons out of the hands of those who are dangerous. For the layman, psychopath and sociopath should mean the same as far as firearm screening is concerned, symptoms and behavior are the same. If a person's condition is serious enough to be diagnosed by a professional, it is serious enough to prevent them from owning a deadly weapon. There's no need to split hairs over how the problem came about or whether one is more dangerous than the other.

As far as accidents, they happen. However children getting hurt with firearms is most often carelessness, especially the kind where little Bobby finds daddy's gun under the pillow and shoots little Billy while playing cowboys and indians. Leaving weapons unsecured is asking for an "accident". I have a large gun safe where my collectibles are kept. My home defense pistol is kept in a locked gun box when any of the children are around. Guns are not accessible to the children. A simple gun lock will keep children from firing a gun. Most gun companies supply a lock nowadays and some have them built in. So, safety isn't a matter of cost. The person who leaves a firearm ready to shoot in reach of a child should be held responsible for whatever happens.

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Sir, you give me to much credit. :)

I couldn't agree more with that statement, the exact reason that I chose to sell my few weapons when we had children. Also I didn't want my wife learning how to use one. SHE might use it on me!!! :p

Good to see everyone adding something of REAL substance, well all except maybe that gerry1 guy. hehehe. j/k Gerry, you know how I love to tease you French people. hahaha. :p btw way I hope that your back is doing better. I understand your pain. Football and EXTRA weight has/is taking it's toll on mine as well. ;)

....gm

4. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

the voices are dckign with my thinking...just to be clear sociopath/psychopath is a lot easier to diagnose and is less "fickle" as depssrestion diagnosis?

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I received a beautifully wrapped present from Ireland this morning and it contained the most practical and useful present I've ever received:

New Nokia Philadelphia Model Multi-function Cell Phone

[​IMG]

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

7. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

What happens when you misdial? Shoot your ear off? Only Gerry1 and his obsession with cats from hell. Just finished watching "Shooter" Wonder if Gerry will buy a .50 cal for long distance calling?

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i just use my combination slingshot/tin-can-on-a-string out here in the boonies.

9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Question for my fellow gun nutters (joking!) across the pond; Whilst purchasing 500 rounds of .22 hollow points at my friendly local gun shop, someone said that in the States you were not allowed to have silencers on your firearms... Is this true?

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Gerry
    The Nokia/Glock would be handy for any local. A person could call up any type of varmint (human or animal) and ask them to leave with authority. LOL Now I need to find one for my collection. They're not available in the more fashionable gun shops yet. ;)

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

True.

Edit: I should have said true and false, it varies by state.
    http://www.mp5.net/info/sbsconr.htm

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Blivet...haven't had a chance to use it yet; I have to subscribe to cell service before it will function. It can also shoot the person your calling with a bullet through the ear :)

Pulsar:
    I'm sure this is nothing but a slight inconvenience. Short of a nuclear weapon, you can get whatever you want with minimal effort. (I'm not even sure of the nuclear weapon!)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  13. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Essentially, yes, the laws in the U.S. are fairly strict. It's extraordinarily difficult to get a silencer - legally, that is- which were restricted under the National Firearms Act of 1934, which also restricted machine guns, short-barrelled shotguns, etc. Even if you can obtain one, they are generally not legal for use in hunting or other purposes. Most states specifically restrict them as well, and, because sound suppressors also mask muzzle flash, putting one on a gun turns a previously-legal gun into an "assault weapon". Of course, there is no shortage of them as they are apparently quite easy to make, and design plans abound on both the internet and in book form. :(

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Here's a website discussing silencer ownership in the US.
    http://www.advanced-armament.com/owners.asp
    Many states allow ownership of silencers. But most people don't want to go through the ordeal of filing the permit.

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Hmm, most interesting, many thanks for your replies. In the UK, once you have purchased your silencer (as per specified in your firearms certificate), you are not allowed to purchase another, unless you specify that it if for an air rifle...

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're welcome. As you can see, the silencer is legal in most states once a person has gained a permit through BATF. I'm not sure if building one gets a person by the high federal fee or not. As I mentioned before, the high fee and lengthy process stops many people. If I wanted a silencer, it would be easier for me than a lot of people. I already have a CCDW license. I'd just have to go by the sheriffs office, get the 2 fingerprint cards done and send in the $200, about 97.25 GBP. The silencer I'd like to own costs about $650 US. So, to own a professionally built silencer I'd need to invest about $850. That's not counting the cost of having the barrel threaded. It's too cost prohibitive for me.

17. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Pac and pulsar ... I almost hate to ask but for what reason do you want silencers? It isn't necessary if you're going to shoot a thief in your home and they detract from your weapon's accuracy (at least they use to). Have we put in a job application with the mafia or perhaps the CIA? Probably not the CIA, I think the gun is built into your shoe or something of the sort LOL!

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Gerry
    The professionally built silencers allow for excellent accuracy. The "homemade" versions that allow the bullet to contact the baffling is what leads to poor accuracy.

If I was wanting to join a "hit" squad, I sure wouldn't want the gun and silencer licensed.

In parts of the UK, where silencers are more accepted, it's a matter of noise. You can shoot all day and not disturb the neighbors. There's the land qualification to own a firearm, but the land is often in close proximity to someone else, unless you're lucky enough to be rich and inherit an estate.

As a courtesy to my neighbors, I don't shoot early in the mornings. Most often I take my shooting to the range or out in the country. I can shoot safely on my property and it's not illegal. However, I know how I feel when I hear heavy caliber firearms going off nearby. I'm hoping it isn't a drunk and I don't get a round through the wall. So far, it seems I'm the only one to shoot very much in this neighborhood and I've limited it.

As to why I would like a silencer... coyotes. Most places have a bounty on them and they're starting to become a real nuisance in my area. Besides injuring and killing livestock, they've started coming into yards and killing family pets. With the silencer on a good varmint gun, pfft and they're gone. That way I wouldn't have to worry about disturbing the neighbors and I could probably get more than one coyote at a time. Loud reports send them running. Nothing so exotic as a CIA or Mafia hit squad. ;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  19. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Neat stuff Pac. Do you need a permit for coyote extermination. I believe you need a permit to exterminate Nutria here which have become a real nuisance. Beavers (rats) with orange teeth.

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

No permits needed, at least not in these parts. On privately owned land, a person doesn't even need a hunting license. There's a bounty on coyotes, so a person can pick up a few bucks to help pay for the ammo. Too bad the cost of the hardware is so high. A silencer would only make the task easier. It's population control. I don't think there's any fear of exterminating the critters. PETA doesn't even try to take up for coyotes. If they did, all the opposition would have to do is show some of the mangled livestock and a coyote killing a poor little lamb. Coyotes are ruthless pack hunters and there have been reported attacks on humans. Children are usually the prey due to their smaller size.