1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neph's POLITE Gun Debate

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Nephilim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Holy crap! Alexander Kalashnikovs version of a shotgun... Could do with that for clay pigeons... Might hit something.... For a change..

2. Masterfit

Masterfit Member

Hey Man, I have a Mossberg Model 500 police issue that holds 10 rounds that I will gladly trade you today and pay the difference on Tuesday, what do you say, Huh Huh? Purdy please (panting wildly).

3. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Oh my, 32 round drums? These need to be locked up at all times. The ultimate room broom.
    My favorite quote from the video,
    "Anything bigger than a rifle round and they are terrified"
    Needs to be "Anything bigger than a rifle round in the hands of a Marine they are terrified of".

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've been sitting here for several minutes trying to capture the words but I simply can't. Our boys and girls in Iraq need those asap.

5. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Amen brother Neph, Amen.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Not exactly grandad's squirrel gun...

7. Nephilim

I still can't get over how awesome that AA12 is. Simply phenomenal.

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yeah i would love to shoot one!

9. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Yeah,
    Our Neph in a field full of Prarie rats with nowhere to run or hide.
    One AA-12, and an unlimited supply of shot shells.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

As though the whole package wasn't awesome, I found the fragmentation rounds to be a real blast. Neph could fire off a few of those and decimate an entire "dog" town. ;)

11. Nephilim

It would be an orgy of gun smoke and dead doggies :D

Last August while in Wyoming shooting prairie dogs I actually used my Mossberg 590 and 3" Magnum slugs to send a few doggies sailing about 30 yards from their mound. I've always loved overkill :p

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Currently I have 2 old magnum shotguns, an old model Remington 1100 and a Wingmaster 870. (They look about as good as new.) I've got a rifled slug barrel in the set with the 870, so it gets to do honors with the slugs.

You're right Neph. Magnum slugs are fun to shoot, but definitely overkill for little critters. Some just seem to disappear. LOL

13. Nephilim

Indeed it was! On the other end of the spectrum I took bunches of dogs with my S&W 22A .22 pistol decked with a cheap dot sight. I got good enough with it that I was making honest head shots out to 40 paces. Funny (and great) thing about that Smith is it loves the cheap Walmart Federal bulk pack .22's. I brought along CCI Stingers, Remington Vipers, Eley target, RWS target and Lapua target ammo but out of all that the bulk Federal was consistently the most accurate - gotta love it!

In other news, I've got a birthday coming up in May and I'm hoping to treat myself to a full size steel EAA Witness in 10mm Auto. The Witness line is respected throughout the competition circuit and getting a quality steel gun for under $500 brings a smile to my face :D I've always been fascinated with the 10mm and with energy levels squarely in .357 Magnum territory whats not to like? If there was ever the pinnacle of duty-size auto pistol power its gotta be the 10mm Auto in a hi cap pistol like the Witness or Glock 20. I've already picked out the first ammo I want to try for defense too. How's a 135gr Nosler JHP at 1,600 fps out a 5" barrel sound? The outfit that loads it, DoubleTap Ammo, has some VERY impressive ballistics throughout their entire line of ammo.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

As you said, impressive. ;) For carry and home defense, I think I'll stick with the 10's lighter sibling, the 40 S&W.

15. Nephilim

16. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Still prefer a .12 gauge filled with birdshot for those close in house and personal type encounters of the most unpleasent kind. Takes care of the perp and doesn't endanger the neighbors with stray slugs.

17. Nephilim

That's the spirit! :)

I like #4 buck meself though.

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I figure birdshot would make an attacker mad enough to kill you, unless you catch them really close up. ;) I use 12GA double aught buck for sweeping chores. Using an old wreck for a target backstop (or target) shows how lethal those loads are. For those not familiar, the 00 BK has 9 balls about the size of a .33 caliber handgun round. A loose choke makes quite a mix at short range. A tighter choke makes it deadly out to about 70 yards.

Neph
    Those Double Taps look good. I think I'll pick up some.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  19. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Anyone seen this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty cool, until someone tries to smuggle it onto a plane...

http://www.swissminigun.com/home.html

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2008
  20. Nephilim

Too funny! The bullets aren't even 2 grains, how cute :p

In other news I had a very successful javelina hunt last weekend and I'll be posting pics soon. I got a very nice 40+ pound sow and my uncle who came down from Colorado bagged a beautiful 50+ pound boar. We got rip roaring drunk that night in a nearby cowboy bar and during the course of the evening good 'ol Neph apparently kissed a 67 year old woman on the mouth a few times - that's D R U N K!!! It was every thing we could have asked for in a hunt :D

I gotta vent a little here too. I was in the Ruger forums today trying to pin down the exact twist rate on my Mini-14 ( its 1 in 9 so I'm gonna try some Sierra 65 grain GameKings) and there was some yo-yo there who throughout the forums repeatedly stated the Mini was a 'fragile' design just because the firing pins apparently fail for some folks. What a crock! Very typically he was an ardent AR slut whose little black rifle could do no wrong. My Mini will do everything I want it to out to a buck and a half and when the chips are down I'd take my 100% reliable all-steel Mini over any AR anytime. The whole Mini vs. AR argument is apples to oranges anyway. I wanted a .223 semi auto for two things - home defense and hunting, not punching paper and bragging rights. Reliability and ruggedness are tops for me and my Mini gives me zero worries there. Last weekend my Mini got full of dust, dragged through thorny brush, covered in pig blood, took a good spill when I did and ran 100% because it's made to work no matter what. I can't imagine dragging a tightly fitted $1400, sub-moa AR through all that and not worry.

I guess some folks just can't stand the thought that something inexpensive might be nearly as good as their high dollar toy. That's why I see plenty of Colt/Kimber/Springfield snobs try and trash my $600 Taurus 1911 that came from the factory with a hand fitted and polished barrel, hand fitted match trigger, beavertail grip safety, 20 lpi checkering on the front strap, Heinie combat sights, extended ambi safety and enviable accuracy. Sometimes someone comes along and thinks of a better way to give the average guy a hell of a lot of product for his money. Ruger and Taurus tend to be good at that. Rant over :)