1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neph's POLITE Gun Debate

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Nephilim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

A very good Encore with a nice Zeiss scope.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Thanks Neph! Looks like I'm gonna have to save up for a stock. I like the look of that Dragunov one.

3. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

a great day for gun owners. Washington DC gun ban lifted via a court decision

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

edited: Removed political content

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  5. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I agree with Garmoon and Zoso, this may be a short term deal, I think we are indeed in store for 4-8 years of the "left coast lifestyle" politics and sentiments. Just remember, the average liberal can identify a gun 2 out of three times at 15 feet. It will be an interesting period of time to come in the next few years...

6. ferguj1

ferguj1 Active member

I agree completely with you guys, it is a tremendous victory for gun owners and all Americans (whether they realize it or not) but I to fear that it may be short lived. The problem is that the libs are more willing to put their money where their mouths are. And their mouths, minority or not, are extremely well funded. The NRA is virtually the only proponent we have in D.C whereas the anti-gunners have basically the whole town. I hope that it stands in the long run, but the battle wont end quietly.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Other than the high court affirming that individuals have the right to bear arms, little has changed. The NRA will go after towns like Morton Grove (and others with similar gun bans), but little more will happen. The gun control laws that are on the books will remain there. I suspect that municipalities that don't like citizens owning guns will strictly enforce having the guns registered and requiring permits. I doubt the left will ever learn that when you take guns away from honest citizens the crooks will still have theirs. I like the small town where I live. Other than not disturbing the neighbors at night, I can go out in the yard and do a little target practice about any time I like.

8. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I can't see how the laws that are currently in place will stand once challenged in each offending state. It is clearly unconstitutional, period. They have been for the last 20+ years of which I am dumbfounded at how it lasted this long! How is it that a State, City, Province, District or whatever has the ability to take our rights as Americans away? They don't...that is what the constitution is here to protect. These municipalities have stepped on our necks long enough and by what I have read & discussed it is just a matter of time, no matter what party is in house. That is irrelevant as a House has no right to dismiss certain parts of the constitution they do not agree with!

Remember the ruling is from the Supreme Court and what they said is VERY clear and concise in reference to our liberties. They concluded the right to bare arms is an individual right of Americans, and the right to bare arms shall not be infringed, basically what the 2nd amendment states! Gun bans are now unconstitutional in places like DC, NY, Chicago, San Francisco, States even like CA who have wide spreading gun bans will all change coming soon as their laws directly go against the supreme court ruling.

Most, if not all of the speculated "ideas" of what the 2nd amendment meant has been laid to rest with the 157 page ruling outlined in today's current terms (not the BS they tried to spew of it only applying to muskets!), of which was intended by our forefathers. Finally there may be a time where an imaginary line on a map won't infringe upon our rights set by a States illegal law(s) against US Citizens. Though I have no issue with gun registration, gun licensing, mandatory weapon training and/or application to the Federal Government for a background check not unlike when applying for a Carry Concealment Permitance/Licensure.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Most of the laws that are in place don't ban weapons as did the DC, Chicago, San Francisco, and similar bans. The laws are there to try to insure weapons don't end up in the wrong hands. We know they do, but criminals don't pay much attention to gun laws. Laws are mostly for honest citizens. So, most of the current laws will stand. The laws can control how we acquire and use our weapons, just not ban them. Most places you can own a handgun, but without a permit, you can't carry it outside your home. You're even controled in how you transport guns and ammo. I took the course for concealed carry so I don't have to put up with a lot of the hassles. I just have to be careful of which states don't honor the permit. Most of the states in my part of the country honor it.

10. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

There is a book out that's called Travellers Guide To Gun Laws Of The 50 States. It gives you an overview of transporting your firearms in each state in plain english. Even shows the reciprocity for each states conceal permits. It gets updated every year.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

12. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

I'll check it out as soon as I get home from work. Trying to view a site on a cell phone is rough.

13. ferguj1

ferguj1 Active member

I have to say that it is a very pleasant surprise to be having this discussion on AD. Even when we know that the anti-gun is the minority, very seldom is the opportunity given to share your views with others who feel the same as you outside of your normal surroundings. To find those who share your beliefs in a site dedicated to helping people with computer related problems is a breath of fresh air. Thanks be to Neph for starting the discussion and to all those willing to give their opinion.

J

14. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

The book is actually called Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States. It touches on each states ownership, open carry, concealed carry, vehicle carry and transportation. I purchased one 4 years ago, and just ordered the 2008 edition, which came in yesterday.

This is their website: http://www.gunlawguide.com/

15. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

good website

here in Indiana we can buy a lifetime carry and concealed permit which is great it runs about 100.00 dollars

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm not old enough to have a gun(my dad has rifles that I use lol), but I believe that if the right to bear arms is in the constitution then they should not be able to outlaw them.

17. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Indiana is where I grew up before moving to Texas when I was 14. I had started the paperwork for my CCW, but just haven't had the time to finish it and take the classes. Always find something else I need the cash for.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm finally going to take my SKS out to the range this weekend.

I totally got ripped off on this rifle, but I was naive and didn't know any better :(

19. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

From my Air Force Buddy, Retired Sherriff from Arizona.

20. little155

little155 Regular member

Blivet NC, you got that right. George