1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neph's POLITE Gun Debate

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Nephilim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

BlivetNC brings up a good rule of shooting. You're responsible for where your bullets go and a shooter should be aware of the background. That's why cops aren't supposed to shoot into crowds at a perp.

If worried about shooting through walls and taking out the neighbors with a handgun, use frangible bullets. Larger caliber, low velocity hollowpoint rounds are less likely to blast through walls like those in a home. Hydroshok in 45 auto and 44 special are good examples. If you're in a townhouse apartment and your neighbor is only 2 sheets of sheetrock away, beware, you could hit them with a high velocity pellet gun. A situation like that is where the frangible round is best suited.

Those 870 pump shotguns like the police use are great for home defense. The little lady might find one difficult for concealed carry though.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

we have a target world a few miles form the house here. they will let you rent just about anytype of hand gun if they have it. only $6 per hour. i should take her over there and let her choose from what they offer and recommend.

our house is close to the neighbor on one side. wide open street on the other side then woods next to it.
    i do have 3 boys. and they are hung up on the military right now.so any weapon htey see they are curious about. they do know the difference between toys and the real thing..well the 10yo and 6yo do. i want to make sure its safe to have in the house but also want it easy for her to get to if need be.

granted i want the harry calihan type gun,lol but it is more for her pertection and safe peace of mind. so a S&W 500 .50 cal is out of the equation...lol

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I just experienced the ammo shortage first hand. Wow a lot of places are sold out of the .40 S&W!

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Oh GOOD LAWDY!!! A S&W 500!! It's a monster of a Revolver. I looked at a 454 Casull Yesterday and a S&W 460 today.... Oh My!!! Daddy likey toooooo much. :)

....gm

5. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

A gun shop I used to go in, had a 454 Casul derringer. I always wondered if your hand would break shooting it.

They also had a Smith & Wesson 500 that the owner let me hold. Damn thing could only hold 5 rounds, but they were some big bullets!!

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOL You'd have to find the hand first. Looks like you've been looking at baby howitzers. That goes for gm as well. LOL

Cincy
    The "Dirty Harry" gun (S&W 629) isn't really a bad idea, as long as the little lady doesn't mind the big frame. You can shoot the full on magnum rounds and she can use 44 special loads. The 627 I have is basically the same frame with a 357 magnum barrel and an 8 round cylinder. My wife has no trouble shooting 38 +P with that one. The big guns aren't good candidates for concealed carry, heavy and hard to hide. The larger frames help absorb the recoil though.

As for curious children, I have a gun safe and a small metal case. The small case has a pushbutton combination for quick access. The box is small and easy to mount or set in a number of locations. It also has an optional steel cable for tie down (so the little guys can't pick it up and carry it away. The lockboxes aren't too expensive, you can check them out online at Cabelas. Then there's the gun locks. S&W and some of the other gunmakers have built in locks on some of the newer models. I've got a bunch of grandkids, and I've not lost any yet (still got all my children as well). So, yes... you can have a gun and a child and not lose either. LOL

You have to remember, children are the best burglars in the world. There is no place you can hide a thing that they can't find it. Remember, the lock is only good if you know where the key is and the little ones can't get it. On your keyfob in your pocket is a good place. If you leave a key in a nightstand, then your child probaby has access to your gun. Let the kids know what's in the box, so there's no curiosity involved. Also, let them know you're serious about them not messing with the box, the gun, or any locks involved. No tv, cell phone, or computer time for 10 years ... no car ... no senior prom...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  7. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Speaking of kids and guns, my AF buddy, a sherriff's deputy at the time figured he had the best place for his back up service weapon, a celing beam approx 10 feet off the floor, not near anything climbable he thought, everything was fine until one day when mom was scared beyond herself by this enourmous bug in the kitchen, until the 5 year old came running into the kitchen with dad's weapon ready to shoot the bug for mommy. Took him months to get out of the doghouse after that one.
    Pacman is correct, kids will get to the gun. All of mine are trigger locked, the bolts are out of the rifles, and a cable lock is passed thru the action of the shotgun. The 1898 springfield is unsecured because there is no ammo available for it. (The bolt is out though.)
    No one but me knows where the keys are hidden, nor will they find the bolts. Don't think that they can pick up what they are hidden under, and if they could they wouldn't be able to see nor feel around to find where they are stashed. I've read way too many stories about kids finding loaded weapons left around for home defense to think that my kids will stay away due to mere threats.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

A good safe and combination lockbox is the best way to go. I keep my lockbox backup key in the big safe. So far I'm the only one that can access the safe and lockbox. A decent substitute is a gun locker with a combination lock. They're not as heavy as a safe, but for the purposes of gun safety around children they work out well.

9. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Agreed with Pacman, better safe than sorry.

10. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOL Good pun. better safe...

I wonder if a bunch of the politicians and citizens know the difference between an assault rifle, a semiauto (SA) wannabee, and a hunting rifle. I have a couple of 10 round clips for a 30.06 hunting rifle that will do a heck of a lot more damage than a five round Remington R15 (which, if I remember correctly, can use the higher capacity AR15 and M16 clips). (For brute force, I'll take 10 rounds of 30.06 over 20 of .223 any day.) There's a lot of difference between an AR15 and M16, though they look almost identical. Same goes for the SA AK47 and the full auto model. The Mexican cartels are using a lot of fully automatic weapons that are illegal for US citizens except by special permit. The full auto guns are scarce in the US except for military and limited police use. Which goes to show, the cartels aren't getting their favorite "toys" from the US, or at least not directly from citizen and shop sales.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

rtm my buddy has one i shot it once and it threw my should out lol. also the bullets are 2.00 dollars each!

13. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Sent to me by a friend.

14. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch, is part drill instructor, and part stand up comic.

Here are a few of his observation on tactics, firearms, self defense and life as we know it in the civilized world.

"The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight....I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic
    bomb instead."

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."

"Every time I teach a class, I discover I don't know something."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

"Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. I may get Killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, cause it's going to be empty."

"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not Loadin, you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut Your head off and put it on a stick."

"When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

"Do something. It may be wrong, but do something."

"Nothing adds a little class to a sniper course like a babe in a Ghilliesuit."

"Shoot what's available, as long as it's available, until something else becomes available."

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous.. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

"Don't shoot fast, shoot good."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

"You cannot save the planet. You may be able to save yourself and your family."

"Thunder Ranch will be here as long as you'll have us or until someone makes us go away and either way it will be exciting."

More Excellent Gun Wisdom.......

The purpose of fighting is to Win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to Fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they
    don't make a 46.'

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

8. Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!

If you believe in the 2nd Amendment, please forward. 'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because
    he loves what is behind him.'

-G. K. Chesterton

A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both.

-DDE-

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who Do not.'

- Thomas Jefferson-

15. FredBun

FredBun Active member

You know I haven't been into guns in years, but damn did this guy hit the nail on the head.

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

What FRED said!!! :D But I'm the opposite of FRED. :p

17. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

1. should be try to steer clear of fights and explosive situations, but if you find your self in one, then see #2.

18. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

19. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Man after reading your link this was a bad guy, well at least the people don't have to shell out all the court costs now.

20. TehUltra

TehUltra Member