1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6.6.0.6 - Make .iso?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by socratez, Nov 22, 2005.

1. socratez

socratez Member

I have tried methods of using Nero to make .iso image files from DVDs (Movies/PS2 Games) instead of it's own .nrg format but I can't find one that works.

One is adding .iso to the end of a file name when saving, the other is clicking on 'More' and then adding .iso at the end. Adding .iso justs adds that to the file name and it remains in .nrg format and clicking on 'More' doesn't show anything extra.

Has this been removed in version 6.6.0.6?

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

If you just want to make an iso, why not try Decrypter?

3. socratez

socratez Member

I've been considering that but I've already got Nero and if I can make DVD (and CD) .iso with Nero 6.6.0.6 then I'd rather do that.

4. whompus

whompus Active member

To truly make an iso in nero you need to use image burner. Select image burn instead of dvd burner then click burn and you should have the option to make iso or nrg.

(edit)I forgot to add that you can also get this freeware program http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/imgburn.cfm imgburn takes up where dvd decrypter left of with the burning part.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  5. socratez

socratez Member

I know how to choose Image Recorder but thanks anyway. The problem is .iso is not available, only .nrg and adding .iso to the filename doesn't work and apprantly this worked with earlier versions.

Why would I need ImgBurn? I want to [bold]make[/bold] PS2 .iso's. I can easily burn .iso's and other image formats with Nero. Please read my post fully, thanks. :)

I might have to install DVD Decrypter as no-one seems to understand I want to [bold]make[/bold] .iso's with Nero if possible. If it's not that's okay, I just want to use existing software where possible. I want to make CD and DVD .iso's and DVD Decrypter can only handle DVD .iso's.

I've got CloneDVD2 but that's dedicated to DVD-Video. What about CloneCD, can that [bold]make[/bold] (not burn) .iso's of CDs and DVDs?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  6. whompus

whompus Active member

Everything I mentioned here is to [bold]make[/bold] iso. It wasnt removed just no longer done by save or save as. Image record in nero is to [bold]make[/bold] iso. Not just burning. Imgburn is simply an updated engine that is used in dvd decrypter (which btw will do more then just dvd video). If you want to get dvd decrypter to make the iso by all means get it as it is freeware also. Just [bold]fyi[/bold] when using dvd decrypter iso mode (read or write)you will be using a form of imgburn thats build in dvdd. I just mentioned imgburn because it will be updated where dvdd will not.

7. socratez

socratez Member

I'm not sure what you mean by saying the .iso option wasn't removed just no longer available through save/save as. Would I be right in assuming you mean it was never an option but it worked by adding .iso when saving? I think that's what you mean.

The problem is a lot of people call image files ISOs even if they are in another format so when I look it up on Google/Yahoo or forums the info can be misleading because of it so I double-check to make sure. Thanks for all the help. I'm still deciding between CloneCD, Alcohol 120% and DVD Decrpter to make .iso's so I can patch PS2 .iso's if necessary.

Can emulation/virtual drive be disabled in Alcohol 120% or preferably not turned on in the first place?

8. whompus

whompus Active member

I think we may still be crosed up. Prob me not you. I also think it was many softwares that was causing it. We used to be able to go to file and select save as and give it iso tag and it would benamed whatever.iso when it should have realy been .img, .bin, .nrg or whatever. I am thinking when you say saving you are saying chose file then save or save as like in older versions. What I mean is we have to use the image recorder in nero now to make iso like this looks.
    [​IMG]
    Notice I have image recorder selected instead of a burner. Then when I click on burn, up pops save image window to name it and such.

About the ps images I have never done them so can not say about them. I would think you can still do whatever to them same as before.

9. socratez

socratez Member

My guess would be this funtion is removed from the version of Nero I have - 6.6.0.6. There is no option to creat images in .iso format.

10. whompus

whompus Active member

Maybe but I wouldnt think so. It may just not be inabled. Try this.

From within Nero Burning ROM go to 'File --> Preferences --> Expert Features'. Go to the bottom of this page and enable the option for ‘Enable Image Recorder for all supported recorder formats’.
    From within Nero Express go to 'More --> Configure --> Expert Features' and enable the same option.
    Then, go to the Compilation window and select the DVD image recorder. You shouldnt have to restart nero first but might.

11. socratez

socratez Member

I already did that when I first installed Nero and have checked my settings again a few times since to try and figure out another way to 'enable' it. Looks like it's definitely been disabled.

If I add '.iso' to the end of an image file while/before saving, all that does is change the filename. I added '.iso' to the end of the temp file when backing up directly from original disc to blank using ONE DVD Writer and the temp file appears as a '.iso' file! I'd have to uncheck the option to delete the temp file when copying, and then cancel the burning part of backing up, to create .iso's with Nero which is just a silly (but only) way of doing it.

I'll just get software that does it easier. Which software is the best for creating .iso format images? Preferably free software.

12. whompus

whompus Active member

That does kinda sux. Maybe your version is some sort of oem. Have you try to update it to .18 version from nero.

I recommend dvddecrypter or imgburn. Both made by Lightning UK. You might as well get them both as they are free and easy to use.

13. socratez

socratez Member

Would you recommend Alcohol? (Not the drink lol. :)) I've got proper version but haven't installed it as I'm unsure of whether it can create .iso's and if it needs an ASPI.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  14. whompus

whompus Active member

Many people in the ps world like it. I have never used it so cant say one way or another. As you have it give it a go. Just set a restore point before install just incase something goes wrong.

15. socratez

socratez Member

Yeah, that's what I do. I set restore points before and then install. If I don't like it/it's no good, I uninstall and then restore the system. It's a good idea to uninstall before doing a system restore as that alone will not remove it. The thing is, even then it's not fully 'cleaned' from the system.

Thanks for all the advice. :)