1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero 6 700mb 2 2.5gb ?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by chumpynut, Feb 9, 2008.

1. chumpynut

chumpynut Guest

having installed new external burner with free nero 7 which updated my nero 6 had too many problems with the upgrade and removed all of nero and reloaded nero 6.the problem i have now is that when i try to burn a dvd with 2 700mb files these are expanded up to between 2.5gb & 4.5gb .i never had this problem with nero 6 before.it used to take about 5 hrs to burn.i have checked to see if all codecs are installed.aok.when i used nero 6 before reloading i could load 2 700mb files straight on to a dvd.they would play on any dvd player.to burn now its taking 16hrs.any ideas?.

2. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

3. chumpynut

chumpynut Guest

thanks 4 that.both drivers uninstalled/installed.i haven't started the burn yet on the 2 files but when i used to run my previously installed nero 6 the file size never seemed to change. n.b.the version of nero i am using is the originial for past and present.so when i d/l a 700mb avi this loaded straight on to nero.once loaded it took about 2.5hrs to burn,now i do the same size file and it expands up to 2.5gb its taking approx 7.5hrs.all codecs installed all drivers installed

4. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Is this before the file is encoded or after?

5. chumpynut

chumpynut Guest

i have d/l a few hundred films over years.they have been a mix of divx,xvid,mpeg & avi.i have never done any encoding when putting these files onto disc.i know that when i installed new burner and loaded nero 7 i could'nt play any files at all.previous to that as soon as i d/l any files i played them on up to date windows media player.i looked amongst all the detrius that i have and found nero 6 [originial]so i uninstalled all of nero7 and the 2 codec progs i had d/l to convert avi & xvid files that i was trying to put on disc .then i used nero cleantool of nero website.also removed the 2 codec packs.it just seems stange that i'm using same prog but the file size increases from 700mb approx in folder and as soon as i load it onto nero it expands to 2.5gb

6. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

What particular plug-in in Nero are you using (i.e. Nero Vison, Nero Burning ROM et al...) to write these files onto a disc?

7. chumpynut

chumpynut Guest

nero vision express 2

8. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Nero Vision is a video editing and authoring tool. What it does is, it encodes video files such as AVIs into DVD-compliant files to be written onto a blank DVD. Hence, the the huge difference in size. If all you're trying to accomplish is to burn these files, then you can use either Nero Express or Nero Burning Rom.

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Yes, you did encode to DVD from AVI, otherwise to burn as a data would take a few minutes, not hours.And to be able to play those, you would need a Divx certified player.

"used nero 6 before reloading i could load 2 700mb files straight on to a dvd.they would play on any dvd player"

They would not play on any dvd player unless you converted the Avis to DVD.

So you were/are using nero Vision to convert from AVI and such to DVD.

"when i try to burn a dvd with 2 700mb files these are expanded up to between 2.5gb & 4.5gb...it used to take about 5 hrs to burn...to burn now its taking 16hrs."

If you have different quality settings than before, Nero will encode to a higher bitrate, so it will give you larger DVD size than it used to(they "will expand" more); Higher quality encoding settings will take longer. Depending on the codecs that you have/had installed, some are faster, some are slower.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  10. chumpynut

chumpynut Guest

having just burnt a film overnight it gave 2.5 hrs for burn and 700mb upped to 1.1gb .burnt aok.never realised the codecs would vary time to burn.at the moment i have codec installer running.on divx the codec is divx - DX50 and on the avi file it is showing xvid.are these o.k. for speed or would there be some other files that i could get hold of that might make nero run a little faster burning?thanks for your help.