1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6: Cannot burn Audio-CD with cue sheet

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by TeiOch, Nov 25, 2007.

1. TeiOch

TeiOch Member

Hi.

First time here. I have been looking for a forum like this. I think I finally found the right one.

So 'bout my prob..
    (I have big time to get this working.)

I have a Plextor PX-760A Driver (u know.. the one that was the first in the world to burn dvd in 18x).
    I use Nero 6 Ultra Edition and PlexTools Professional when I burning. Two awesome programs actually. =)
    I also disconnect my internet before I burning. And strictly no other programs running while I'm burning + no activity at all while the burning runs.
    Then I burn in lowest speed possible: with PX-760A that is 4x with a CD. And I make sure all the settings in both programs are correct. With special 24k Gold plated CD's I even change the driver laser performance to get things right. That is why I love Plextor!!
    The driver latest firmware is, of course, updated.
    And I only use reliable quality media such as: MFSL, MAM-A, HHB, TDK, Plextor (which is in fact Taiyo Yuden), Verbatim (but those are not 'that' superb as many thinks, still really nice!), and some black "CD-vinyl's" that is interesting; they do not only look awesome too but is perfect to burn old PCX games on.
    My OS is Windows XP Pro - SP2 and is fully updated.

I guess all this info should provide 'enough background' to handle my problem smoother.

My problem is pretty much what the 'title' says. When I try to load and burn a cue sheet for making an audio CD, I get a error message and the CD media eject out. This is what I get.:

The thing is.. I can only choose between Disc-at-once (DAO) and DAO/96... so how it can complain about TAO when you not even can choose that is wierd I think.
    The problem is most likely in Nero, somehow. I have tested different non-cheap media, low speed is a fact!, and the Plextor driver works like a charm in all other cases. So I can burn my flac/waves in the normal way through Nero. But this only comes when I try with *.cue image loading. I have also checked the CUE file to be correct, and no wrongness there. So yes, it just must be something with Nero that make this error every time I try. Not even with pure Wave it works!

Re-install Nero 6? Restart computer? Install latest Nero?
    An answer to all these 3 questions is the same: It won't do!
    The computer have been restarted many times since I first saw this problem. If Nero is re-installed / upgraded to latest version - I really think it won't do a thing. Since I even have this problem with Nero 8 which I also have. Does it really sound like I need to fix installation with Nero 6 when it won't work on Nero 8? No.
    But why on Nero 8 ... too!!?
    This only confuse me more and maybe the problem enlies somewhere else. Dunno.

Please help me. That would really really be appreciated.
    TeiOch out.
    EoF
    =P

2. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Do you have Nero 6 and 8 on the same PC.
    Post a log.
    Nero 6 log : Program Files>Ahead>Nero>NeroHistory.txt

Nero 7 log : Program Files>Nero>Nero 7>Core>NeroHistory.txt

Nero8: Program Files>Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Nero\Nero8\Nero Burning ROM\NeroHistory

The speed (4x) for burning a CD is too slow.
    Try 24x or more.

3. TeiOch

TeiOch Member

(Sorry for a late answer, while waiting for my new Internet ISP, my internet was unfunctional.)

Yes. I have both Nero 6 and 8 in same PC, with the same OS/account, but on different hard drives. Nero 8 is on the system disc and Nero 6 is on my other one (I have 2). But that should not matter.

Why I burning in such low speed depend on I want less jitter for my Audio I burn in this case. You gain less jitter with less speed, and therefore the ideal speed is 1x. But my driver can only handle a minimum of 4x. So I use that.
    It is also quite obvious that you would want a controlled low jitter burning as possible when it comes to pure audio. So why burn faster? Time does not bother me. And my critical media trio: MFSL, HHB, MAM-A allow you to only burn within 1x - 12x. I used Kodak in the past more, and if I remember correctly they also had the limit of 1x - 12x.
    Now, that is not a coincidence. And MFSL (no doubt the best media in the world!) says that for best audio burn in 1x. And that is why they have a limit to 12x, because after that speed, Audio is not fitted enough. Simply put: the lower speed, the lower jitter - and on the contrary.

I only burn faster if I would burn files/movies etc. But I would say max 16x. DVD is another story..

Here are the log's.:

Nero 6
    Nero 8

4. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Sorry I have to make this reply quick!

DMA off.
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/checking DMA.pdf

Firmware updates.
    http://www.plextor.be/technicalservices/downloads/firmw_760A.asp?choice=DVD-Recorders

Watch the memory use while burning.
    You could use anothe stick, so only burn nothing else.
    You might even want to burn in safe mode.

CD tend to burn better at higher speeds, at least that is what I have been led to believe.
    Give me a link to your info on 1x burning.

5. TeiOch

TeiOch Member

I'm going away for 2-3 days soon. So I will be back with the results by then. Tx for the DMA guide.

Funny that, my Plextor Driver IS updated. It says so in Plextools: V1.07; the latest. I downloaded it from same page you gave me, and did exactly what it said.

Burn in safe mode? Didn't know that worked. But I could first try to close some programs before I burn.. and see if I can lower the 'memory in use' percent.

For me, I see very natural why burning works better with lower speeds, especially with Audio, thus more important with its 'timing'. Jitter is the problem here - which - you simply gain more with higher speeds. I read a guide I acrossed over recently when I searched for something else. I know quite alot when it comes to things like this, but this guide tought me new things. I can highly rec. this guide to be read if you are interested in serious aduio burning performance.

There is more info of lower burning speeds, but I don't have links of that on my mind just like that. So this guide will do. But it might answer you more than you think. As it did for me. ;=)

http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/whitepaper/White Paper on Black CDs ver 3.1.pdf

6. 56delray

56delray Regular member

7. TeiOch

TeiOch Member

Okey.. I could try to update Nero 6. But like I said in my first post... Nero 8 has same problem.. so I have big doubts an updating will solve it. Maybe it is that DMA is off.

Switch format, yes. But if one want a pure Audio CD as possible, that guide tells how to generally achieve it.

8. 56delray

56delray Regular member

I am not real up on this topic, but it looks like your writer is in the slave spot, which is ok, if the jumper is set for slave.

The bug in Nero 6 may not be the problem now, but later who knows.
    Most of the time you can not have Nero 6, 7 or 8 together, but since you have the on different drives it seems to work.
    The log should have shown a conflict.

As to the guide I saw no proof, just subjective evidence.
    The search contines!

P.S.
    You might want to try the guide out over in the "CDR and digital audio discussion > Audio" forum.
    There may be someone more informed on the topic.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007