1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6 Ultra and Nero 5.59

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wlloyd, Feb 10, 2004.

1. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Hi, Gurus:

I purchased my current PC in November 2002 from CyberPower PC(from Baldwin Park,CA) online. Several items of software were bundled with Windows XP Home.
    At that time I was not involved in digital video recording. I simply installed all the software, paying little attention to any of the software I did not use.

After corresponding with you folks, noting that you guys are promoting Nero 6 Ultra. I began wondering about the Nero software that came with my PC.

Am I eligible for updates of Nero software that was bundled with my system? --to say Nero6 Ultra?

On another(related) topic, remember that we discussed the NTI software that accompanied my new DVD-RW(Pioneer DVR-106D)? Hey, if my findings are borne out with later usage, this software is a powerhouse for backing up DVD discs. Remember NTI calls this software CD&DVD Maker. For me, I believe that I can backup a DVD disc in just two steps(actually one--if the drive selections are omitted)

I don't know whether it's the Norton System Works, something I cannot disable(too risky against viruses),my DVD-RW burning rate--or whatever slows down my DVD burning process; but it appears that with this setup I am looking at at least 100 minutes one way or another: DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, ImgTool, and Decrypter(again--the burn) takes some 150 minutes.
    NTI CD&DVD Maker takes 100 minutes. NTI seems to have the advantage here but not if I want complete one seqment at a time. The NTI operation is a one-step operation. . . .

Your comments will be appreciated.

Regards,

wlloyd

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi again,

Nero updates are free, you have to buy upgrades though.
    You can update yours to 5.5.10.54 for free.

http://www.nero.com/us/631933457317970.html

A change to Nero 6 is considered an upgrade and you have to buy it.

Have you checked your IDE channels to see if you have them set to DMA and not PIO?

Heres how I get there to check:
    Start> Rt click My Computer> Propertys> Hardware> Dvice Manager> Open IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers> Rt click Primary Channel> Propertys> Advanced Settings Tab> Change transfer mode to DMA if avalible.
    Do the same thing for your secondary IDE channel.

Cheers,
    Frank
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  3. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Hi, Frank:

I will check on the Nero item after I take care of the ATAPI controller item. Here is what I found at Device Manager:
    Primary IDE Channel:
    Device 0: Device Type: Auto Detection
    Transfer Mode: DMA, if available
    Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5
    Device 1: Device Type: Auto Detection
    Transfer Mode: DMA,if available
    Current Transfer Mode: Not-Appl.
    Secondary IDE Channel:
    Device 0: Device Type: Auto Detection
    Transfer Mode: PIO Only
    Current Transfer Mode: PIO Mode
    Device 1: Device Type: Auto Detection
    Transfer Mode: DMA,if available
    Current Transfer Mode:Ultra DMA Mode 2

What are your comments?

Thanks,

wlloyd

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2004
  4. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Hi, Frank:

I checked the URL that you gave me regarding Nero5.4.10. I am downloading it.

I hsve noticed there is a Nero6 and a Nero6 Ultra. If I have Nero6 is the update to Nero6 Ultra free?

Please advise.

Regards,

wlloyd

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I would change the current transfer mode of device 0 on your secondary IDE channel to "DMA if avalible".
    I don't know what you have installed at this location, I assume you have your hard drive on the primary IDE buss and your burner on the secondary along with another drive.
    I'm going to figure out which device is "0" on my computer and I should be able to figure it out from there.
    What is the other drive you have installed?

When you installed your Pioneer, did you put it at the end of the secondary IDE cable or the middle? If your burner is mounted in the top drive bay it is no doubt at the end of the IDE cable. If its at the end of the cable, make sure the jumper on the back is set to "master" otherwise it should be set to "slave".

I went to the Nero web site and looked, its a bit confusing. The downloadable demoversion is Nero 6 Ultra. Then I went to the update Nero 6 page and that seems to update Nero 6. I think their both the same thing.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Ok wlloyd,
    On my computer, location 0 is the device at the end of the IDE buss.
    My computer is configured with the burner (device 0) in the top bay, jumper set to master, secondary IDE buss, DMA.
    Below that, in the lower drive bay, I have a DVD-ROM (device 1), also on the secondary IDE buss, jumper set to slave. Also DMA.

Frank

7. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Hi,Frank:

I forgot to tell you that I tried to change that PIO setting to a DMA, if available. But it did not "take."
    Where do I make the change? And will I run a risk of screwing up my system for other applications?

wlloyd

8. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Hi,Frank, Herbsman:

In connection with our discussion about the Device Manager IDE Controller Properties,as I told you I could not find any place to change that one item from a PIO to DMA, if available. I suspect that "the system knows best."

In a related situation, something aroused my system and caused some changes. They threw me off until I detemined what had occurred. Let's see. I will try to sketch the situation without taking too many words.

Let's try BEFORE and AFTER. BEFORE: I had Drive C:--hard drive Drive D:(I believe)--Zipdrive; Drive E: DVD-ROM; Drive F: CD-RW; Drive G:--aux. Buslink hard drive; Drive H:--DVD-RW(the Pioneer). AFTER:(without my touching any cables or entries)Drive C:--hard drive;
    Drive D:(omitted);Drive E:--DVD-RW(the Pioneer);Drive F:CD-RW; Drive G: DVD-ROM; Drive H: Zipdrive; Drive I:
    Buslink(hard drive}.

Did the Martians invade?

I suspect that something that I did caused the system to re-order itself as it should have done after I installed the DVD-RW(Pioneer). Probably has something to do with the Interrupts. . . .

Got any ideas?

I will try out the new DVD Shrink this weekend. Some of us have to work for a living. . . .

All the best to you.

wlloyd

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi again,
    I found this thread over at Doom9 about fixing DMA/PIO problems:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...73b80bf8f233&threadid=63560&highlight=DMA/PIO

My computer has never operated in anything but DMA and I haven't had a problem. It came that way from the factory.

You don't need to change it yet, Your processing times are going to be slow though.

I would just uninstall the secondary IDE channel (uninstall is a menu item when you right click on the channel in device manager) then reboot and let windows find it again. Make sure you create a restore point first though.

Cheers,
    Frank

10. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Hi, Frank:

Thanks for the info.

I am a bit weary with the patience requirements of the current digital video backup operations. I suppose unless I re-order DVD XCOPY(or pick it up from Wal-Mart(I saw it there recently.)), not much is going to work to my satisfaction. . . .

After I have contemplated the situation some morem maybe the price of Nero 6 Ultra won't seem so high. . . .

Best regards,

wlloyd

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi again,
    I know its frustrating, After buying a box of Nero 6 at Costco, figuring out how to install it, and then having it not work really frosted my ass. Then I went back to Circus City where I bought this computer and the salesman told me to go get Xcopy express. I bought the download and that didn't work either! While talking to 321's support folks they mentioned this forum.
    After a clean reinstall of Nero, a download of Shrink 2.3, the correct drivers for Xcopy and someone here informing me to put the Shrink VIDEO_TS folder on a partiton of my hard drive that actually had room, everything worked!
    I upgraded my RAM, bought a new 4X burner and a DVD ROM. My first back-ups took 2 hours, now I get them done in about 30 minutes.
    I just installed a new Pioneer 8X burner so as soon as I get the right media, my back-up time should be around 25 minutes or so, using Shrink 3.1 with Nero.
    My 321 stuff just sits, I don't use it even though I paid a bunch of money for it.
    You probably noticed that I like to recommend different programs. There are lots of ways to burn DVDs and before I would ask you to use any of them I try them myself. Heres another way: Use Shrink with BurnAtOnce using -R media, both free.

Cheers,
    Frank

12. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Hi,Frank:

Here's a supplement to what I reported about the Primary and Secondary IDE info:

I visited Doom9, that thread you sent. After mulling through all of that Registry Editor stuff, I said,"No way,Jose. I'm not going there." Then I read about the alternative of uninstall the Primary and Secondary IDE channels and allowing the system to restore them.
    Eureka!! My new configuration is as follows: Primary:
    Device 0: Ultra DMA Mode 5
    Device 1: N/A
    Secondary:
    Device 0: Ultra DMA Mode 2
    Device 1: Ultra DMA Mode 2

Now, please tell me what difference it makes to have PIO or DMA. Is there a dramatic difference in speed somwhere there? Do you suppose that DMA Mode 2 is pretty good?

wlloyd

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Yes that will make a big difference in your speed! If you have ever stopped at a toll booth and had to wait in line, well thats what your data has to do in PIO.

Heres what I have on it:

Most of the present HDDs use IDE interface. Installing an IDE hard disk does not require a lot of knowledge like installing the driver for a SCSI hard disk, but this means that the user often must install the hard disk by himself and cope with all the problems they may encounter. Here, we will try to help you solve these potential problems.
    The data stored in the hard disk are accessed through the chipset located on the motherboard. You might often hear about the PIO mode, Master mode or DMA mode of HDD. These modes reflect the way data is transferred from and to the IDE drive and the motherboard.

What is the PIO mode? When the system needs to access hard disk data, the CPU delivers input/output (I/O) orders through the chipset on the motherboard to the hard disk drive, and then puts this data into the system memory. This is the PIO mode.

What is the Master mode? When the system needs to access hard disk data, this data is directly accessed from the hard disk by the chipset on the motherboard (using a DMA or a PIO mode), and then the data is put into the memory. In this case, the CPU does not participate in the data transfer. What is the DMA mode? Usually, DMA mode refers to accessing the hard disk data by the chipset, it does not refer to the data transfer mode. Here are some examples of data transfer rates for IDE HDD with PIO interface:

PIO Mode 0: The fastest data transfer rate reaches 3.3Mbyte/sec
    PIO Mode 1: The fastest data transfer rate reaches 5.2Mbyte/sec
    PIO Mode 2: The fastest data transfer rate reaches 8.3Mbyte/sec
    PIO Mode 3: The fastest data transfer rate reaches 11.1Mbyte/sec
    PIO Mode 4: The fastest data transfer rate reaches 16.6Mbyte/sec
    The higher the MODE value is, the best is the hard disk data transfer rate. But this does not mean that you can select the highest mode value as you like. You must be sure that your hard disk supports that type of fast data transfer, otherwise your hard disk will not be able to operate correctly. Here are some examples of data transfer rates for IDE HDD with DMA mode:
    DMA Mode 0: The fastest data transfer rate reaches 4.16Mbyte/sec
    DMA Mode 1: The fastest data transfer rate reaches 13.3Mbyte/sec
    DMA Mode 2: The fastest data transfer rate reaches 16.6Mbyte/sec

And More On Ultra DMA!:

SUMMARY
    This article describes Ultra DMA (Direct Memory Access).
    MORE INFORMATION
    Ultra DMA (also known as Ultra DMA/33 or ATA/33) is an extension of the ATA hard disk interface that theoretically allows burst data transfer rates of 33.3 megabytes (MB) per second. This is double the ATA-2/ATA-3 standard of 16.6 MB per second. Using Ultra DMA can result in a 40 percent increase in performance over the ATA-2/ATA-3 standard. The performance improvement is a result of the improved data rate of the drive itself.
    System Requirements
    A motherboard that has a chip set that supports Ultra DMA.
    An Ultra DMA-compliant hard disk and controller.
    An Ultra DMA device driver.
    An Ultra DMA-compliant Basic Input/Output System (BIOS).
    Using Ultra DMA
    To use an Ultra DMA device, verify that your computer supports Ultra DMA, and then follow the manufacturer's instruction to install the Ultra DMA-based device.

To determine if your computer supports Ultra DMA-based devices, refer to the documentation included with your device, or contact the manufacturer of the Ultra DMA device.
    The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Last Reviewed: 10/18/2001 (1.0)
    Keywords: kbHardware kbinfo KB308541

Even more!

http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/modesUDMA.html

So you can see that Ultra Direct Memory Access is faster than Programmed Input/Output.

Frank

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  14. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Hi.Frank:

Thanks for that comprehensive tutorial on PIO/DMA etc.

Please see my new-thread posting on "I/O Error."

Something you mentioned struck a chord: There's a third line in my ATAPI Controller setup in Device Manager. I didn't mention it previously because it did not seem relevant. But you referred to "master"
    in your dissertation about PIO/DMA. That third line in my ATAPI Controller setup in Device Manager is
    "VIA Bus Master IDE Controller." VIA is the author of this software.

I right-clicked on that third line. The system indicates that whatever thing feature is it is "working properly."

I suspect that my "I/O" problem relates somehow to how the Device Manager is setup.

I still have Ultra DMA Mode 5, 2s. That appears to be here to stay.

An aside: I am considering purchasing a new(monster) PC: a Dell Dimension 8300 with a 3GHz processor, 1 GB of memory, and a 120 GB HDD. DELL calls the CD and DVD drives here "dual". Not sure what mean--whether it mean "combo" or multiple drives. . . . The DVD-RW is an 8x.

Do you think that I might get on with these activities with that system?

Please advise as soon as you can.

Regards,

wlloyd