1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6 will only burn as dvd9 ?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mgk, Nov 1, 2007.

1. mgk

mgk Member

Okay folks i dont get this.

I have some MOV files from my camcorder on my HD which i need to burn onto dvd.

Nero doesnt recognise them, because i cant add MOV to nero vision express, it dont recignise them. Anyway i uploaded the MOV files to Cyberlink Power Producer (not the latest version) it came with my Camcorder. I edited and cut the files on Cyberlink Express Director then i saved it on my hard drive as an mpeg.

The problem is the total file size has shot up to 4.9GB ? When i know the actually dvd is half the size ...... its a 1 Hour 18 mins file?

Nero Vision Exp gives a pop up which says basically i can only save as DVD9 & I will lose quality, which i dont want to happen. I dont want to lose quality, i just want a quality 80min dvd.

Why has this happenned, how can i burn in nero, i have version 6.6.0.3?

Please help & advice

2. skyryder

skyryder Member

You have to remember that a 4.7 gig disc is in reality only 4.38 gig in size.They might say 4.7 but 400meg of that is what the manufacturer puts in.Your project is just 2 big.You will need to compress it down to 4300meg to fit it.The compression wont make that much noticeable difference but if you do really want to keep it at that size, dvd9 is one of your options, the other is to save it to your hard drive

3. mgk

mgk Member

Thanks for the reply,

.... but the project is only 78 mins big, which is way less than 4.38gb, Ive burnt 2 hour mpegs before on 4.38GB without any problems, is it nothing to do with this being a MOV file ?

4. skyryder

skyryder Member

not so :

you are stating its 4.9gig. Can you supply a nero log for verification please.

5. mgk

mgk Member

I actually stopped at that point because i dont want to burn as DVD9, so i didnt carry on with burn, hence no log. Just to help you after i edited the file in Cyberlink and saved it, it saved as a 4.9 GIG mpeg, maybe that has something to do with it. No matter which software i open to play this file they all say the mpeg is 1hr 18mins long, but the file is 4.9gig why is this, this icant understand and maybe why NERO reacts the way it does.

Si is there an easy way to burn MOV files with NERO ?

6. skyryder

skyryder Member

this concept is whats stopping you.When you convert an avi, you go from something thats say for example 700meg to something that is larger (about 2 gig).iTS THE SAME WITH MOV FILES. For your files to be in the dvd movie format they do tend to grow in size after a conversion to mpeg2.Compression is really only your option.You could try converting them to avi and then re encoding them to mpeg2 to see if thats going to help

7. mgk

mgk Member

Okay thanks, i think i am beginning to understand what you mean. I have now cut some content from the mpeg and am now burning it. Will let you know if it doesnt come out ok.

Can i ask whats the easiest way for a newbie to compress a DVD9 to onto a standard dvd, without compromising on quality and having to cut it. I have glanced in the guides but theirs so many different programs and guides i dont know where to start. I would like to use nero preferably as i finally feel comfortable in using this software.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  8. skyryder

skyryder Member

if you have dvd shrink, select reauthor mode and when the disc is read.Just grab the movie portion.Click on the backup button, keep following the prompts and you are basically done.When it asks you to put a disc in, do it and it will utilise nero as the burning agent.

Or

just click the guides section at the top of the page and find the relevant guide...........