1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 & 8 crashes pc when transcoding video

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by loopelisa, Feb 13, 2008.

1. loopelisa

loopelisa Member

I have and Acer Aspire 5630 bought with XP but upgraded to vista premium. I have never been able to burn my avi files to dvd using nero express or vision. it gets about half way through the converting and transcoding process and simply turns my laptop off, no shut down, just blink and its off! Its driving me nuts. I did have nero 7 but took it off today and tried installing nero 8, exactly the same thing happened :(
    i have searched google for solutions but so far haven't come across a similar problem.
    I have to resort to transfering the avi files to my old XP laptop and burning them on there (nero 6) trouble is, old laptop is on its last legs so i really need to get this issue sorted. Am i even using the best nero product for doin the job, i like to put chapters in and a title menu.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
    Lisa

2. nasayin

nasayin Regular member

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Converting is very CPU intensive(unlike burning, which puts more demand on RAM). If your laptop doesn't have proper ventilation, if the CPU overheats, it will shut down your machine.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  4. loopelisa

loopelisa Member

Hi Cyprusrom
    is there anyway of knowing for sure if its the cpu overheating and can you suggest anything to solve this problem.

i will also try the dvdflick program i think, but would love to get nero working properly, i hate to be beaten

Lisa

5. killalot

killalot Active member

Did you have the same problem when you were running XP?

6. killalot

killalot Active member

I have to resort to transferring the avi files to my old XP laptop and burning them on there (Nero 6) trouble is, old laptop is on its last legs job,

I would have thought the old laptop might have trouble not your new one could be over heating like its been suggested but the difference you’ve got is Windows xp on 1 laptop and Windows vista on the other but the xp laptop has no problems but vitsa does there could lie your answer?

7. loopelisa

loopelisa Member

okey dokey so im thinking cyprusrom is spot on with the cpu overheating and causing the laptop to shut down. i tried downloading a couple of temperature monitoring programs today - everest home and fanspeed, both struggled to take readings. fanspeed did not show any kind of fan and only took reading for the hdo (dunno what that is) and two others only listed as temp1 and temp2, both had little flames by em and read 71 degrees C, the everlast program i couldnt see anything about temperature.
    i stuck my laptop on window sill with window wide open and loads of ventillation and it managed to complete the nero process for transcoding an entire movie.

the story goes on - i decided there must be a serious fan/cpu problem so i dug out the box for my laptop which stated it had a three year warranty, phoned acer who told me tescos put it in the wrong box and it only has a year which expired 3 weeks ago - the battle begins!!!!

any other suggestions tho about fans and cooling would be appreciated

Lisa

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Well, I had the same problem with my PC a while back, Nero Vision was shutting down my machine while encoding, and of ourse the problem was a borken fan(it was still spinning, but not properly). You can try and clean the fan/inside of your laptop, or replace the fan.

http://www.instructables.com/id/E3E0SMIBN3EXCFH4B5/

9. loopelisa

loopelisa Member

my fan is still spinning, not sure if i should wait for a response on the warranty issue before trying to take cover off and clean tho, what do you think, would it be a warranty issue if the fan is not cooling the cpu sufficiently?
    lis

10. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If you still can fix it under warranty,don't mess with it.
    It is not your fault that they put it in the wrong box...if they messed that up, I wonder what else did they screw up( like something that might cause the overheating). I would bug them until they fix it for you.

11. loopelisa

loopelisa Member

Thanks Cyprusrom

i think you're right, i am gonna bug the hell out of them. i dont know much bout laptops or techie stuff but im wondering if all the set up on my laptop, ie temps and fan speeds were set up for windows xp, i think it seemed so much cooler running xp than vista.

Lisa

12. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

There are many things that they could've set up wrong, starting with BIOS. They should fix it, "the customer is always right"! Just give them hell! Tell them about the ireplaceble data that you lost because of their srew up, all the hours of work wasted down the drain:~)...Also tell them about your grandma which is a voodoo priestess, and the 13 black candles that she just ordered @ BurnInHelll.com!!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

@loopelisa
    OfficeMax has a laptop cooling pad on sale for $20 that might work for you...:~)