1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 & loading Disc Image Anyone else having Problems

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by delboys, Jan 26, 2007.

1. delboys

delboys Member

I am using the latest vers of Nero 7.
    I save a disc image file of the project to hard drive.
    Load back into Nero Vision & a windows error occurs stating that
    NeroVision.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Anyone else having a problem?
    Can you save & load a disc image file when using Nero 7?

When using Nero 6 I don`t have a problem.

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Do you have Nero's Image Drive, under tools, set up? You can mount the image with it and play it like a real DVD. Other utilites beside Nero can mount an image, or you could burn it to a DVD and it should work.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  3. delboys

delboys Member

Interesting that Saltgrass.
    I did not have Nero`s Image Drive setup but I have now.
    Also when I double clicked on the image file it launched the Nero Burning Rom program & not Nero Vision which was where I was having problems.The Nero Burning Rom prog launched ok.
    I shall go to Nero Burning Rom in future
    But there is still a problem with opening an image file with Nero Vision.
    I have contacted Nero re this & as usual the first answer was to reinstall Nero with a clean install.Which I did & it did not fix the problem so I am waiting now for their next response.
    In the mean time I thought I would see if anyone else was having a problem with Nero Vision & loading an image file.
    To date no one has responsed.
    Can you load an image file via Nero Vision 4?

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

No, but you can, if you have access, load the .vob files.

It launches Nero Burning ROM because it thinks you want to burn the image.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

It is not one of the Nero Vision supported file types. I don't see image files or "iso" listed here:

[​IMG]

I did manage to get an iso loaded into Vision though. I made a small iso with Shrink to test: I selected "All Files(*.*)" then browsed for the iso and added it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. delboys

delboys Member

Yes I know I can but my intention was to save as an image file from within Nero Vision & then to load in later on to do more copies.
    Nero Vision 4 allows you to save as an image file & it also allows you to load in an image file but when I do this windows closes the program.
    If the program allows you to load an image file then it should work I should not have to do a work around.
    Nero 6 does not produce this error.

7. delboys

delboys Member

Fasfrank
    It`s the .nrg file which is the name of the image file that Nero creates when it saves as an image file.

8. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Well, you now have me fairly confused as to what exactly you want to do.

You can burn an image file as many times as you want without ever using NeroVision again after it is created. You can not, according to my testing, load the image file back into NeroVision without an error. You can mount the image file with ImageDrive and then load the .vob files back into NeroVision for whatever purpose you want, but you will have to remake the image file if you want changes. Other software will allow changes to the menus and such, I believe, but I have not used any.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I wrongly assumed ISO image not .nrg
    Obviously you can create the .nrg... you just can't open an .nrg in Vision...

I took the same small test iso and burned it with the image recorder as an .nrg to a folder...

[​IMG]

Then I closed and reopened Vision and found the .nrg...

[​IMG]

And added it to a new project:

[​IMG]

I think that was the question....

So,
    I managed to load an iso...My previous post...
    Then turn that iso into an .nrg...
    Then load the .nrg back into Vision.

The only thing I had to make sure to do is to to select "All Files (*.*)" from the Files of type list.

Edit:
    Hi Saltgrass,
    I think I got this to work but I'm with you as far as why you would want to do this in the first place.
    I did notice that it took quite a while to get the .nrg loaded into Vision. This might be a problem with a something DVD-5 sized. I was just using a single chapter from a movie.

10. delboys

delboys Member

I see Saltgrass that you agree - you cannot load an image file(.nrg) without an error when using Nero Vision.
    Yet there is an option within Nero Vision to do so!
    I also accept that you can load it via Nero Burning Rom but when I went to load in the .nrg file I went via Nero Vision like I have done in the past with Nero Vision 2 (provided with Nero 6.) and that version did not have a problem.
    Hopefully Nero will sort it out .

11. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Why do you say there is an option to load an image into NeroVision-----? That is not an option, and it does not play DVDs. If the file type is not listed as compatible, and it is not, any error that occurs would be expected.

As I said before, you can load a .vob file from an image into NeroVision and remake a DVD but you can't use the entire image file for such a purpose.

12. delboys

delboys Member

Nero Vision [Start] has an option under
    "What would like to do?"
    the last one is
    "Open Saved Project or Disc Image"
    A disc image is the .nrg file which is the image file as created by Nero Vision.
    Is that not an option?

13. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Well, you are correct. That option is there for burning only and it does have the extensions available. My attempts to load an .nrg image fail with a corrupted image message. All I might suppose is the option was left over from a previous version and something has been changed. Maybe once, NeroVision was tied to NeroBurning ROM and started it or something. Can the Nero 6 version of NeroVision actually burn a pre-existing image?

I can import an image from within NeroVision. But you have to load the image on ImageDrive (or have it in the DVD drive) for it to be able to pull out the video. You can then use the video just like you had prior to burning the original image.

I guess the bottom line would be, if you want to burn an image, do not use NeroVision, but NeroBurning ROM or Nero Express. If you want to remaster the DVD, use the Import Disc option from within NeroVision when doing a DVD video project.

I also found this on page 64/65 of the NeroVision help file. I have never gotten a Burn Options screen, just an error message.

14.3 Opening a disc image
    The following requirement has to be fulfilled:
    The Start screen is displayed.
    To open a disc image, proceed as follows:
    1. In the Start screen, select the Open Saved Project or Disc Image option.
    The Open pop-up window will open.
    2. In the File Type selection menu, select the Nero Image Files (*.nrg) option.
    3. Highlight the disc image.
    4. Click on the Open button.
    �� The Burn Options screen is displayed.
    See Burning a disc.
    You have opened a disc image.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  14. delboys

delboys Member

Hi Saltgrass
    Re Nero 6 as far as I can remenber it loaded the .nrg file ok & went straight to the section to do a burn. I do not know which actual application this was.I was only trying to see if it would load the .nrg file so I did not take much notice after that..
    I have since removed nero 6 & reinstalled 7.
    When I contact nero they said it was likely that the problem is caused by faulty filter implementation.
    And went through doing a clean unistall using clean tools etc but it did not fix the problem.
    It makes you wonder if when the .nrg is loaded the wrong program or section of program is launch causing the windows error.
    I wonder if anyone out there can load a .nrg into Nero Vision 4 without getting a windows error?

15. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

My daughter has a computer with Nero 6 on it so I tried. It opens a window that says "NeroVision Express 3 [Burn Options]".

Sorry it took me so long to see what you were saying, I just never tried to load an image that way. Of course, since I did not have Nero 6, I had never experienced that option, so my mind just would not go there ;).

16. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I thought I showed that I had done this but apparently did not make it clear enough to be understood.

17. delboys

delboys Member

Hi Fasfrank
    What version of Nero are you using I am referring to 7.
    It`s just that the browser you show gives you the option to show "all files"
    When I launch Nero Vision 4 it does not give that option.

18. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I have the latest Nero 7. I downloaded the latest updates a week or two ago.

Here are the version numbers of some of the applications.

Burning ROM: 7.7.5.1
    Express 7: 7.7.5.1
    Vision 4: 4.9.0.18
    Recode 2: 2.4.5.0
    Showtime 3: 3.5.3.2

I seem to be able to work with .nrg files like any other. They load into Vision without any problem. I was using a small one to test with though. Just a 15 minute clip from a movie.

To be honest though, we are really not sure why you are doing it this way. I can see opening your original video files in Vision and doing whatever editing you want to do. I don't know why you would want to then process it as an .nrg for further editing.

This is how I do it for what it's worth....

I open Vision to start a project. I add the video files I want and process them as needed. If I have to stop work on the project and want to come back to it later, I click the "Save" button at the bottom. I'll name the project and then select a location (Default is the NeroVision folder) to save it.
    When I want to work on it some more, I'll open Vision and select "Open Saved Project or Disc Image". This automatically opens my NeroVision folder and I can select from the list the project to open. These projects are all saved with a .nvc file extension.

So I never have to save an .nrg to preserve a project... It's saved for me as an .nvc.

I can't imagine a situation where you would delete your project files before completing a project. I suppose situations could arise though. In that case you will ruin the .nvc as it relies on the presence of the files you opened originally... They need to be where you had them when you saved the project.

Well you may have perfectly good reasons and all I tried to show is that it could be done....at least I can do it. I'm using the latest Nero 7.
    Cheers,
    Frank