1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 Premium and deleting problem

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by arkendy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. arkendy

arkendy Member

First post, driven by a weird problem involving Nero 7 Premium (v.7.0?? ). Not actually sure if this is a Nero problem, or is down to my XP Pro system. I'll try to keep the description as short as I can.

Basically, I wanted to remove Nero. I knew of the Nero cleanup utility, and got the version designed for Nero 7. During its first run, it told me Nero Media Home, Nero Recode, and Nero ShowTime "seemed to be running". I shut it down, checked startup programs and running processes, but could find no mention of any of them. Ran cleanup again, this time selecting "ignore" option on those 3 messages, and program ran to completion. No error messages at this point, at all.

A couple of days later, though, I noticed that all of the Nero 7 directories and files were still there in my D partition. Looked in Control Panel/Add/Remove, and in CC Cleaner's list - no sign of the program in either. Then tried manual delete from Explorer but got message "Cannot delete atl71: access is denied. Make sure disk is not full/write protected, and that file is not in use". Delete action stops. Tried all sorts since - safe mode, command prompts, even tried a reinstall over the top, then the same cleanup, all to no effect, just keep getting that "access is denied" message.

Googling tells me that atl71.dll is apparently a Windows/System 32 file, and is called on by other installed software needing its services - whatever they may be! It's certainly there in most of the sub-directories of Nero I've looked at. But, when I click on the exe files in those directories, I get the message that there must be a corrupt installation. That seems to suggest the cleanup has cleared out relevant registry entries?

I've done sweeps for any nasties, Webroot Spy Sweeper, SpyBot S&D,got a clean HiJackThis report, and a couple of other things - all clean. Bottom line, though, is that I want to delete but can't - and it all seems to go pear-shaped around this atl71.dll file. I know I've got the latest version in Windows/system32 folder, and I'm having no other problems with software.

I just wondered/hoped whether any of the experts on here had any ideas, please?

2. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

no expert on NERO, just got it

well the only thing i know about NERO, is very hard to
    delete, i had to go to program files and find all the
    folders myself and theres a bunch of them,the add/remove
    programs on your computer is worthless for NERO, so is
    the lists when you go to all programs then go to the right
    where it says delete(what ever program) because the NERO
    programs you thought you deleted are still in your
    program files...............

any way didn't help much but hope i helped a little bit.

the easy way to do that is................

start button
    right click your mouse button
    highlight Explore button
    left click it
    find C:/ drive at top of lists
    look towards the bottom of lists now
    you should see a + mark on the left side of Program files
    left click it
    look for a program called nero/ahead
    click the + sign it will open up all the folders

you should be very carefull what you delete aswell
    you could mess up you reg. in your computer

gday

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  3. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

4. arkendy

arkendy Member

Already tried that general cleanup tool, Gwendoline, as well as the specific Nero 7 version.

Freedom2 - as I said, Nero is on my D (Programs) partition, which is where I tend to install most of my non-XP OS stuff. It's when I try to delete from there in Explore that I get the "access denied" problem.