1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 Problem or Vista ?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mkbrogers, Jun 9, 2007.

1. mkbrogers

mkbrogers Member

Hi,

Seem to be having a problem with the ASUS DRW-1814BLT drive. Im using Vista x64 , Nero 7.9.60 to burn discs. Ive tried a DVD-R and a DVD+R (both from different manufacturers. In nero the disc burns correctly -(data disc) - it completes the process, but the Drive is still doing something and wont release the disc. The only way to get the disc out is to reboot and open the drive on power up. Im not running the burn at full speed - the discs are x16 but are being burnt at x12.

The discs are readable (sometimes) after this - so it would indicate to me that the burning is completing correctly - its just the drive spin down / closure that isnt functioning correctly ....

The drives running the latest 1.10 firmware (so I assume it should be OK).

Burning Discs through Vista native software (in explorer) work fine.

Any Ideas - is this a Nero thing or Drive or Vista ??

Thanks

Mat

2. barantro

barantro Guest

I believe it is Vista. Here's why: I am using a Lite-On LH-16W1P, Windows Xp SP2 and Nero 7.9.60. No problems at all. I burn at full speed using generic media or high end media. Now when I had Windows Vista Premium installed, I had disc read errors, underrun errors and release errors. So in my humble opinion there needs to be a Vista patch.

3. mkbrogers

mkbrogers Member

So as far as you know theres no way / setting to be able to force the drive to spin down / open at the end of the burn.

Also its only Nero that does this - using the inbuilt burning (which I believe is based on Roxio) the drive ejects properly and the discs can be read 100% of the time.

Mat

4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Have you tried burning at a slower rate of speed, possibly 8x or below? I use Nero and Vista 32 with a USB Lite-on drive on a Dell Inspiron with no problem. Also, Vista has driver recognition problems which could be causing this to happen supposedly the SP coming out at the end of the year will correct some of this.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  5. mkbrogers

mkbrogers Member

Thanks for the suggetsion will give it a try. I still cant wrap my head around why the discs burn successfully in Vista if it has the driver recognition errors - but cant use Nero to burn them..

Mat

6. barantro

barantro Guest

At risk of being a repeater: After reading some Vista forums it seems that MSoft has a patch forthcoming to address dvd/r/w burning. But Nero just released an update that addresses many dvd/r/w buring issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  7. arniebear

arniebear Active member

More than likely it is probably a Vista 64 issue, seems there is more probs with this one then the 32. Just got to wait for the SP. I am running the latest version of Nero 7.9.6.0 with no problems yet, but am seriously thinking of returning to XP til Vista gets its act together, it took about a year with XP before it had its first SP that corrected a lot if issues.

8. logerhead

logerhead Member

Very similar issue. Vista 64 Home Premium, Nero 7.9.6.0, Samsumg SH-S183L's with SB01 firmware. The drives won't eject until the system is rebooted. I haven't gotten a functional one yet.

9. mkbrogers

mkbrogers Member

In one sense Im glad your having the same problem - so its not just my system ...that gives me some sense of relief..

On the other hand Sorry youve got the same problem - its Very annoying...

BTW - Have you tried using windows Explorer to burn a Data DVD. For me using this technique works and the disc ejects and is fully readable...

Despite what people have said about it being Vistas problem and wait for SP1 - Im still not convinced as it is NERO that doesnt clsoe/eject the disc - Vista burning works fine (DVD Maker, explorer) albeit less "polished".

Mat

10. RatDog99

RatDog99 Member

I have the exact same problem with Vista 64 using LG drives. I’ve communicated the problem to Nero. Their response is simply to ensure the latest version of Nero is installed on the PC.

I have had some success with re-writable DVD disks that have first been erased in Explorer. Nero seems to be able to write to them and release the drive afterward. The re-writable drives burn at 4X’s but I don’t think speed is the issue (at least it shouldn't be).

Note, I have no problem with CD’s. Go figure.

11. logerhead

logerhead Member

I got a response from Nero support. Used their clean tool, uninstalled everything, reinstalled everything. I still have the same problem. Neither CD's or DVD's will burn properly. The drive won't eject without rebooting, and the discs are useless.

I have enough coasters, so now looking for alternate suggestions.

12. logerhead

logerhead Member

Discs created using the Windows tools seem to work just fine. They do not exhibit the non-eject issue and are usable after burning.

Unfortunately, they won't let me back up DVD content or burn iso files.

13. acl1976

acl1976 Member

if using nero try uninstalling roxio as they can have conflict issues

14. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

i dont have a hard time believing that its vista they should have waited to release vista because in my opinion xp is still the better os i have had nothing but problems with vista

15. logerhead

logerhead Member

Nero support is tossing this back to me every couple of days, casting about for something that might be wrong with my system. Their latest email suggests I upgrade the firmware for my optical drives, even though the information I've sent already indicates the latest firmware is installed.

It's an obvious issue with Nero and Vista 64 that they need to address.

16. mkbrogers

mkbrogers Member

I tried a different support tact and spoke with our onsite MS person at work. Funnily enough he has the same problem at home with Nero and Vista. Can take it at face value but his response was that it is Definitely a Nero problem..... I know the person reasonably well so I dont think he was just giving a "default" not MS problem response.

17. logerhead

logerhead Member

It is clearly a Nero problem. They have abandoned my support ticket completely.

Nero needs to advertise that this version is *not* Vista-friendly.

18. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Have you dl the latest version of Nero that came out on July 5, it may or may not have corrected the problem.

19. acl1976

acl1976 Member

i have got viste 64bit ultimate edition & nero works fine with this

20. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

logerhead, you might try posting a NeroHistory log, maybe something will show up. If you can't find it, there is another thread here about finding it in Vista, but I don't know for sure where it is. If you do a search for it, make sure and change the basic search parameters, since the default ones are almost worthless.

Since the default log won't show whether the DMAs are turned on, you might do that directly. And at the bottom of the log, look to see if any drivers are conflicting.

Make sure you did not install InCD, if it is even available.

There may be a way to turn off the Windows burning software, if you can find it. Try that to see if it helps. In XP, it seems to be under the drive properties on a Recording tab, but check the Vista help to see if it tells how to turn the native burning off.

I ran the Beta Vista and never had the problem with the Nero versions that worked with Vista.