1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 Show Time and Nero Vision 4 problems

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Saltgrass, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

I am using version 7.0.1.4 of Nero 7. All the burning software seems to work fine, but Show Time and updated Nero Vision don't. Both of my problems seem to be related to video streams or feeds freezing/stopping.

First, Nero Vision--version 4.1.0.9 seemed to work fine, but the update in Nero 7.0.8.2 (4.1.0.15)will not allow me to edit MPeg4 (or any other) video files. For example, if I download a movie trailer from the nero site and put it in the timeline of Nero Vision, it plays fine if left alone. If however, I try to skip ahead or back, the video freezes with the CPU usage going to 100% (P4 2.4)for 8-10 seconds. When the CPU calms down, the video is frozen on the frame selected, while the audio and time code continue as if nothing is wrong. I am currently using verions 4.1.0.9 which is working fine.

Show Time (all versions) will not play a DVD (commercial or burned with Nero Vision) without the Video and audio freezing. The program does not freeze and the timecode continues just as if the video was still playing. CPU usage here seems to be normal and even drops to almost 0 when the video stops. I can restart the video by moving the seeker slider or returning to the beginning of a chapter.

I have done a great deal of trouble shooting on 2 different computers with clean installs of WinXP Pro SP2. Nero Vision does exactly the same thing on both computers. Show Time seems to run better on the computer with an Intel chipset, while the other one has an ATI chipset. But even on the Intel computer, Show Time gave me an error message that it could not read a file on the DVD and playback might be affected.

Numerous problem submissions to Nero seem to have yielded nothing but the canned response. Does anyone else running the newest version of Nero Vision have this problem?

Thanks,

2. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Hi.

I have tried to edit videos a few times to brighten up a few menus... but had the same thing happening to me. I run the same kind of fire power as you,(P4 @2.4) and at the time i blamed the processor...

Showtime is useless in my opinion, i normally use PowerDVD to watch my DVD's, both originals and burnt, or AVI's etc... It's a lot more powerfull and reliable.

3. bobby_021

bobby_021 Member

[bold]Yeah Me too, I can't get the new nero vision to edit/trim up my television video clips that have been recorded on my hard drive with media center without It freezing and subsequently not respond at all... I cant stand nero vision cause I cant get it to work properly, plently a room on my HD and ample cpu power as show below, anyone reccomend a program to edit these clips? I have VirtualDUB but Apparently "ASF Files are not supported" and am looking into TMPGEnc Plus v2.5 included in the TMPGEnc Software Suite 2005 package but is this a good 1 for editing these files and then I wanna convert the trimed files to .avi files...AnyOne Firmiliar with this program or Has any sugestions for a better 1 before I install this TMPGEnc Software Suite 2005 ??? [/bold]

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

It is too bad we are having these types of problems. Suggestions of using different software is probably a good idea, but I paid for the suite and I expect it to work. One of the last submissions I did to Nero, which probably never got read, I suggested these utilities are Beta software and should not be sold.

My latest contact, using the VIP route, I told them I was using version 7.0.8.2 when having my problems, and guess what their response was--yes, your are right, they suggested updating to the latest version.

I still have not heard from customer service about my request to get my money back ;-|

5. rgss218

rgss218 Member

So what did you guys do? I cant get my nero to work at all. Anytime i add any file to a project, my nero freezes. i e-mailed customer care but i get no response either. HELP me!!!

6. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

I am posting a possible work around for Nero ShowTime 2. It appears my DVDs will play without stopping if I go to the Bookmarks settings and change the DVD navigator to the Microsoft one. This is still under testing, but several DVDs have played now with no problems.

One note, using this setting, one DVD (The Incredibles) seemed to have the video blacked out.

As far as I can tell, NeroVision is still broken, awaiting another update. Still no response from Tech Support----

As for your Nero (whichever program you are referring to),I never had that type of problem, but other threads do. If it is locking up prior to the burning process, maybe check your interlace settings or quality settings. I use High Quality(2 pass VBR) and interlaced(bottom field first). I don't believe the interlaced would help you, but I had to do it for my older DVD player. If during the burning process, make sure you have the DVD set as Master and try disconnecting other devices.

7. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Well I am sorry to report the latest update to NeroVision (4.5.0.15) that came out April 24th did not fix my problem with the video lockups when editing mp4 files. I guess Nero Tech Support really was ignoring me!

And I did just download the updated update, which does not change the NeroVision version so it is still broken.

It is strange to me that a file (Basic Instinct 2 trailer downloaded from Nero) will play fine and you can skip ahead and back without problems using ShowTime, but in NeroVision, it locks up the video when you alter the normal play sequence.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

9. venkman27

venkman27 Member

Well, at NeroSupport they have one answer: Upgrade to the latest release. For me, the correct answer is: Downgrade!

because:

AFAIK 7.0.1.4 is the last version without NeroVision having this "freezing when editing" problem. I've also tried clean installs of newest versions (as advised by Nero-Support), but no success.
    Unfortunately I deleted the 7.0.1.4 (does anybody know where to get it?), but at least I found a 7.0.1.2, where NeroVision is working fine now.
    Nero Support doesn't even know about the problem. They say.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  10. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I would recommend NOT switching to 7.0.1.4 as it IS full of bugs. The version that is recommended by the majority at this forum is 7.0.8.2 which has been found to be free of bugs.
    You can get from here
    http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/nero7-up.php

This version should fix any NVE problems you have been experiencing

@Saltgrass, I have been using NVE from version 7.0.8.2 since it's release and have NOT encountered any problems as yet.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  11. venkman27

venkman27 Member

Wasn't this about NeroVision and not NeroVisionExpress?
    Anyway, I'd be glad to use NVE, if it works and if I know how to use it (it's not included in Nero 7 Premium?!).

12. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

The correct names are Nero Express and NeroVision( it's NeroVision that I refer to as NVE4)...your question as where to locate is answered in this thread
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/336370

@Saltgrass, how about posting a log file of your last failed burn and we'll have a look to see what is happening.
    Log file can be found here
    Nero 7 history log location: Program Files>Nero>Nero 7>Core>NeroHistory.txt

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  13. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

I have never had a burning problem. As the other thread explains, it is a video freezing issue when editing MP4 files in Nero Vision 4 update 4.1.0.15 and later (or Nero 7 v7.0.8.2 and v7.2.0.3b)

The confusion over which version I am using was because I did not know whether it was best to give the version I was having a problem with, or the vision I was having to use. This is very frustrating because you can't update any other application without updating Nero Vision, so I am stuck in the earlier version until Nero Vision is fixed.

14. venkman27

venkman27 Member

After some email conversation with the Nero Support they stated, that they cannot reproduce the freezing/editing problem and asked me to supply one of the file that don't work.
    So I did, one of the files being created with Nero Recode...

I will post the results of this conversation in this thread as soon as I have answers.

15. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Some more information. I do this in case someone sees it and realizes what might be wrong with NV4.

First, I found some video that I could manipulate while playing. They both came from the same source and one was in a Quicktime H.264 format and one in .MP4. MP4 files from other sources, including Nero, will lock up the video if you move the Time marker around for editing.

I have realized you don't even have to move the time marker to cause problems, all you have to do is change the window size.

If you have 2 files on the timeline, and the video has locked up but the time marker and sound are moving (which is what happens), when the time marker crosses into the next file, the video resets and works normally.

And lastly, did they break the animated menus again after they had fixed them in the update just prior to 4.5.0.15? I may have not had it set up correctly, so would someone please check (Auto Play section of the Automatization dialogue is greyed out).

After thinking about it last night, it appears to me that the lockups and high CPU usage (90-100%) seem to be consistent with the video being transcoded. I would not think it is trying to transcode every time you move the time marker! And if it was, why would the sound be normal and the video frozen on the last frame selected?

****************More info*****************
    I was using Nero Recode to check some file information and I discovered that the 3 files that seem to work with NV4 (.mp4, .avi, .mov) were encoded at 29.97 frames per second. The ones that have problems are encoded at 23.98 or 12 frames per second (maybe anything other than 29.97). I tried switching to PAL, but didn't seem to have any effect.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  16. BoogieNY

BoogieNY Member

I've been having the same problems Saltgrass has described; my particular problem is each time I've run Vision (in the Nero 7 Suite) it takes about 20 seconds for the program to fire up a 700MB Xvid file -- in this case, the movie Just Friends -- and if I opt to carve it up by creating chapters, it is basically unable to do so.

The program rarely if ever lets me run through a minute or so of video before it hangs; on occasion it lets me create a chapter and then suddenly dies on me and needs a ctrl-alt-delete to quit. Other times, even when I've disabled NAV, the program stays in perpetual hang mode (even if left on its own without anything else running for 20 or more minutes).

I assume it's a codec issue; but I've used Sherlock (in the K-Lite Codec Pack) that shows I've got up-to-date codecs for XVid, Divx and every other major codec. I've uninstalled/clean-tooled Nero so many times -- even trying 6, which shows the same problems -- that I'm pretty much ready to give up. I've got to burn a bunch of video (audio/data/music CD's and DVD's are fine) so I'm pretty much fed up and ready to move onto something else with better support and some answers how to solve the problem.

BTW, I've got an ATI/Radeon X600 card; I've used Nero 7 before without issues, but then my PC crashed and I had to reformat and have had these problems since the reformat.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

-B-

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  17. venkman27

venkman27 Member

Saltgrass,
    I can confirm that even resizing the NV window produces the described freezing issue. Although it's not a freezing in a strict sense.
    It's only the CPU usage is 100% and there is harddisk activity for a long time (even when editing a two-minute part it lasts about 10 seconds) and after that the video isn't displayed. However the audio keeps playing.
    There are no crashes that would force me to kill NeroVision. I can always return to the window where you add content to the project.

Concerning the automation menu I can see no abnormal behavior. The animation options depend on what you've chosen for the buttons (checkbox for animated buttons). Using video files that work, everything is functioning normal.

The filetypes:
    I have some mpg and wmv videofiles that cause no problem at all. Not working types for me are some avi files (DIV3 encoded) and, of course, mp4 files that I have transcoded with NeroRecode out of the DIV3 avi files (there is no problem with NeroRecode with these files!).

To reduce the problem to a Nero issue I've made a clean WindowsXP Pro installation (SP2) with only Nero 7.2.0.3 installed. This way there should be no codec interference with 3rd party codecs that are installed on my main system. Anyway the NeroVision problem was the same in this clean system.

Used versions: Nero 7.2.0.3b / NV4 4.5.0.15

18. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

I think it is starting to look more and more like a programming glitch that causes excess CPU usage. I tested on a 1.9 Ghz processor and a 2.8, and the 2.8 edited the files encoded at 29.97 fps normally, where the other fps settings seem to have problems. It probably goes to taking more CPU power to adjust the different frame rates.

Anyway, the older NeroVision would start up in about 3 seconds and moving the time marker was so fast I could not even see it. The entire time, the CPU usage never got above 23-35%, even with the 1.9 GHz P4. The updated NV4 takes much longer to start and the CPU will run almost twice as much just playing a file.

I don't know what is going on, but something is being done to kill CPU power, which leads to most of our problems, it appears. I counted how long the edited video was messed up after changing the time marker, and on one file, the CPU went to 100% for 12 seconds, after which time the sound came back. 96 seconds after that, the video picked back up. So my files weren't freezing, just taking so long I did not notice. Of course, you can't edit if the video only comes back almost 2 minutes after you try to set a position!

19. venkman27

venkman27 Member

Saltgrass,
    after your last post I've tried to analyse my video files concerning the framerate used:

[bold]Framerate 23,976:[/bold] No file working
    [bold]Framerate 25:[/bold] Most files working, except one Xvid coded
    [bold]Framerate 29,97:[/bold] All files working

I also found that NeroRecode doesn't touch the framerate, so some of the recoded files work, while others don't, depending on the framerate of the source file.
    Using DivXtoDVD converter, that lets you adjust the framerate of the target file (it produces VOB-files) I was able to recode all not working files so that they could be used in NeroVision.

Apparently it does take more CPU power, but clearly in a way that doesn't make sense and can be described as a bug.

20. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Venkman27 I tried you solution, and yes the video does edit without the long delays. But it looks like there is a rather large problem with audio sync, probably since the file was originally at 12 fps. I did get it to work using NeroVision to encode it, but it took 45 minutes. I also got a file to work by just exporting it using NeroVision. They both came out at 29.97 fps, but there is no reason to have to go through this.

This type of file is the reason I started doing the editing in NeroVision 4, so it must work. Maybe someone from Nero will read the complaints and get it fixed!

Last edited: May 2, 2006