1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 Show Time and Nero Vision 4 problems

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Saltgrass, Apr 2, 2006.

1. venkman27

venkman27 Member

Saltgrass,
    first the good news:
    I've just received a mail from Nero support and they (believe it or not) confirmed the NV misbehaviour.

And a question:
    in
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/332793
    you said, you changed the framerate in NeroRecode (expert mode).
    Shame on me, but I can't find the appropriate option. Can you tell me where it is?

I will translate the support mail and then post it here (though this is the bad news).

********** please hang on - translating... ************
    So far, so bad.

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Sorry for the confusion, but I said I checked the frame rate in Recode. It turns out, that if you hold the mouse over the file in NV4 that you can see the frame rate there also, at least in the earlier version you can.

After I determine the frame rate is not 29.97 fps (or maybe 25), I will use NV4 in the Export mode, which makes the video DVD ready and changes the frame rate to 29.97, at which time it becomes useable again.

Did Nero give you any indication about a time frame for an update to fix the problem? Also, if they want to know what type of file causes problems, just tell them to use their own movie trailers from their site, they are encoded at 23.98 fps.

3. venkman27

venkman27 Member

Meanwhile I've answered to Nero Support again, pointing out that it can't be a codec issue, but must be related somehow to the framerate
    (I've created a DivX 3 file with 29,97 and it worked perfectly).

You ask for a clue, when it will be fixed? Well, it is fixed, you know which version you have to use. Furthermore I don't think that 1st level support has any information about that. All you can do is to supply them with accurate information, and hope it's not changed in any way when it arrives at the development.

Up to now I had no contact to a developer or someone development-related.

So much for that, we have a work-around and a confirmation from Nero. The rest is waiting. And one thing is clear: after all that free beta-testing they have lost a once satisfied customer (I loved v5) for the next versions.

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

It is great you got their attention, they were totally disregarding my complaints. Good Work!

5. venkman27

venkman27 Member

Alright, I've received the final support mail from Nero and this is the non-official work-around:

1) Go to the Common Files Directory (usually in C:\Programs) and look for the "Ahead"-folder.
    2) Rename this folder in whatever you want
    3) Take this folder from a Nero installation that does't have the bug (the support guy used one from Nero 6) and copy it in your Common Files Directory.
    4) Enjoy!

I just replaced the "DSFilter"-folder with the one from 7.0.1.2 and everything works so far. Because I only took the DSFilter-folder I hope there will be no side effects for the basic functions of the suite.
    I also tried to identify the specific file causing the bug, but not success.

6. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

You seem to be a little smarter than the average person! ;) Since I have been using a testbed try to solve the problem, I first followed the instructions and replaced the entire Ahead folder

**** Yikes!!! Fatal Error--Installation Corrupted!!! Please reinstall Nero!!!

Runtime Error !!!!!!!

Anyway, I went through and changed one folder at a time and the Lib folder seems to be the one you do not want to replace. But you are correct, just changing the DSL filter folder seems to fix this problem. I used the 4.1.0.9 version of NeroVision 4 that came with Nero 7 v7.0.1.4

I had gotten a similiar response last week, but they said to rename the Ahead folder and then reinstall Nero entirely. They thought it would re-register the DirectShow Filters and Codecs. They failed to realize, I had done several clean installs already. I sent them an involved response about how it did not work and the information about the Frame Rates and the fact it took exactly 1:40 for the video to start again.

I guess time will tell if using the replacement folders will have any adverse effect. Now, considering comments in the forum, do we really want to upgrade anyway? ;-o

7. venkman27

venkman27 Member

Saltgrass,
    sorry, but finally replacing the DSFilter-folder brought back the editing ability. However, the output is corrupted (sync lost, stuttering video) and NOW I'm trough with it.

If it worked for you, tell me.

I have a 7.0.1.2 installation that works fine for the video stuff, and a 7.2.0.3 for the burning and backup purposes.

Concerning the advice from Nero support to rename the Ahead-folder in the commonfilesdir, this is just to make sure you get a clean installation (by forcing the re-registration of the DirectShow filters) and belongs to the standard advice ("Install the latest version") you get until you have proved in detail that THERE IS A BUG.

At the end of the day the guy from Nero support was just trying out some things, like we did. There's absolutely NO direct contact between the support and the developers.

What kind of support quality can be achieved by this? First level support and nothing more. Installing and Uninstalling. They have no more clues than an advanced user, and the only important information they could provide was that the problem is confirmed now.

I am not amused.

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  8. BoogieNY

BoogieNY Member

I appreciate the info, but I don't have a clean install (ie bug-free) to substitute. I'm wondering if I can just remove the DS Filter folder and hope for the best (I know I can't).

Anyone have any suggestions? Nero? Anyone?

9. venkman27

venkman27 Member

BoogeyNY,
    after all the problem discussed in this thread can be solved by using a version prior to 7.0.5.4 (I know that at least up to 7.0.1.4 the bug is not included).
    Playing around with different versions just for the DSFilter-folder didn't solve the problem for me, but using a clean installation of the mentioned versions did.

In many posts here you can read about bug-free versions of Nero. Well, as I said before, this is not quite right. The question never is "bug-free or not" but "how many bugs and which". This is, of course, not only true for Nero but for all Software above a certain level of complexity - and Nero excesses this level by far.

So, a "clean installation" doesn't mean a bug-free one, but an installation after using the appropriate Clean-Tool, since Nero hasn't been able so far to implement a working standard deinstallation routine.

So my advice is: if you have trouble with this NV4-bug, use one of the mentioned versions and everything's fine. If you are lucky (like me) and you have more than one machine running, use the most stable version so far (7.0.8.2) for data-critical purposes (this is for you, Gwendoline, if you read this).
    And if you have some additional money to spend, buy a specialized software for video/multimedia editing.

10. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@Venkman,

Yep I am reading this post,as I do most in the Nero forum, I am pleased we agree on 7.0.8.2 as being in your words "stable"...I call it bug free because I have yet to personally encounter any problems..7.2.0.3 is in my opinion A[bold]A REAL DOG[/bold] and I will recommend strongly to all those who post in this forum to avoid it.
    Cheers and continued happy burning.

11. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

OK, maybe this will be the final post necessary. I have not tested this fix doing anything other than playing a non-standard (fps wise)video. It seems to fix that, so maybe it will be the trick. The file is the same size as the file replaced but the date on the newer (non-working) file is 2/23/06 (NV4 4.1.0.15 or Nero 7 7.0.8.2) and the file on the older (working) one is 11/11/05 (NV4 4.1.0.9 or Nero 7 7.0.1.4).

Name of file:

NeroFormatConv.ax 192K 11/11/05

You should be able to replace just this file in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter and make it work. But once again, be advised I have not tested other functions. If there was a way to send just the file to someone that could upload it, I have it available. Since the version of NV4 in both Nero 7 v 7.0.8.2 and 7.2.0.3b are the same, I believe, it should work for that version also.

Good Luck, I hope it works!!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  12. Gemc

Gemc Member

Hi, I'm new to all this so forgive me if this has been asked before. I recently installed Nero 7 premium and it was working fine for a few weeks, mainly backing up DVD's and burning Video files from my hard drive. For reasons I can't figure out, when I open it now and get to the Add Video Files selection after choosing to Make your own DVD Video, the window that opens is not the same as I was getting before. Whereas I was able to browse through my folders/files to select whatever, I now have a small window asking Location, File name, files of type...and no matter what I do I cannot get past this window. I'm getting really frustrated with this...Anyone else ahd this problem? Thanks for any help in advance...Gerry.

13. jaymars

jaymars Guest

rename the folder in common "Ahead" to "Aheadx" Rerun the program. a File got corrupt. This work for me..

14. Gemc

Gemc Member

Sorry Jaymars..I don't understand your message. I'm new to this..I think I'll need this explaining in a wee bit more detail...thanks for your help.

15. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Do you know which version of Nero you are using, Nero6 or Nero7...and which particular version ( example 6.6.0.18 or 7.0.8.2)

16. Gemc

Gemc Member

I'm using Nero 7 Premium and I think the Nero Vision is 4.0.0.1

17. lance37

lance37 Member

I'm having the problem of Nerovision opening very slowly and 100% CPU use. I'm just going to reinstall Nero 7.0.8.2 because I didn't have any problems with that version. Is there any way to keep the Smart 3d menus for Nerovision when I downgrade?

18. swampdogk

swampdogk Member

Saltgrass,

I have only one thing to say.

YOU SIR, are a f*****g LEGEND.

Swamp

19. XcAbAr

XcAbAr Member

I read the entire forum and I was curious as to whether anyone found a way to upload that file. I seem to have saved every other update file except that one...I'm talking about the file Saltgrass was talking about. Also, why is it that I can find Nero 7.0.1.4 and not Nero 7.1.0.4...

Thanks...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  20. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member