1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 8 and infamous PMA Update Failure

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by LilMikeyP, Sep 15, 2008.

1. killalot

killalot Active member

In control panel when you run the nvida uninstall use the custom uninstall and make sure chipset drivers are selected only then after that go in device manager and uninstall the ide atapi controllers then restart

2. LilMikeyP

LilMikeyP Member

I did choose chipset only, but I didn't go and uninstall the IDE ones. The drive is SATA, should that make a difference?

3. LilMikeyP

LilMikeyP Member

I tried to do the ImgBurn trick but the Drive option under Tools is grayed out as well as the Changer option

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I still don't understand why changing the drivers is going to help. You were having no problems with them until this cropped up. You haven't bought a new batch of Verb discs have you? Since one brand is working fine, it has to be something with the drive not being able to close the disc. Can you restore to a point when all the brand were working and figure out if any new thing has been installed and may be in conflict with Nero.

ImgBurn should be able to select a drive in the tools section. If you want to select drive from the tools, you MUST have selected a task first. Just found out myself. Choose "write image file to disc" option and select drive under tools. My SATA drives were not closing discs on my new pc but are performing well now. IDE-USB external worked perfectly form start. Do you have a spare drive to check and see if the drive is going bad?

Firmware is up to date. Something new is conflicting with the disc closure - some program conflict. roll back and see.

5. LilMikeyP

LilMikeyP Member

I sort of successfully removed the chipset drivers, tried burning again and no luck.

I also tried buring a few different ISO's this time instead of staying with the one. Some of them worked and some didn't. They all used to work before. However, there does seem to be a common element now. Every iso over a certain size goes all the way to 100%, but afterwards I get the PMA update failure. I have 4 gigs of RAM in the machine, so I don't know why I'd be having an issue now. It does almost seem though like there's a correlation between how much RAM I have minus how much is in use in the Nero log being the "hard limit" of the size ISO I can burn. In other words 4 gigs minus 1.7 gigs = 2.3 gigs is the biggest ISO that will burn without giving me the PMA Update error. Now why Nero is saying I have almost 2 gigs of RAM in use is beyond me. I don't have anything else running when I'm burning.

As far as rolling back to another point, that would be a severe pain. I'd have to make sure all my backups are current before I attempt that. Even still it's going to be a pain reinstalling software, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Though I'd almost rather just format the array and start new if it comes to that.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

definitely sounds like Vista to me. I run Nero 6 (6.6.0.18 in fact) under XP and the maximum amount of memory used here while burning was/is 600MB on any of my XP machines, leaving more than enough (most of my machines have between 1GB and 4GB total RAM)

7. LilMikeyP

LilMikeyP Member

So what would that mean in terms of the size ISO you can burn? Are you able to burn ISO's that are more than your total RAM amount? With only 600MB in use, if you had 4 gigs of ram, you'd still have 3.4G available, which is a fair amount. Can you burn ISO's bigger than that?

8. creaky

I very rarely bother with ISO's, but have never had a problem with them the few times i've created/used any. As i say one of my machines has only 1GB and therefore would have 400MB free during burning.

I think we need to rewind a little and concentrate on the actual PMA update error itself, it rings a bell, i'll do some quick googling...

edit- first one i found - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/96940/532718 - from Craig Campbell who actually works for Nero...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  9. LilMikeyP

LilMikeyP Member

Thanks, Creaky. I did see that thread. I have not changed the buffer because I was a little confused by the thread. Nero is set to use too MUCH RAM? How can that be? And should I set it lower, what should I set it too? I wonder if I did a Nero Update and it reset something to a bad setting since the last time I was able to burn correctly. I'm at work right now (Yay Sunday work instead of watching football! /sarcasm), but maybe I'll tweak the settings when I get home.

FWIW, I did reinstall the nVidia chipset drivers being that Windows Update wanted me to and it didn't resolve my burning issues when I removed them.

10. creaky

I've never had a need to mess with the Buffer settings.
    In fact it's been a very very long time since i last even checked any of my Nero logs. Just noticed that Nero thinks i've only got 2GB

I'm using good ole 32-bit XP so of course XP will only see 3.4GB or so out of my 4GB, which is fine, but the above seems to suggest Nero can only see 2GB. My Nero is old so that's probably why it can't see all the RAM. I mostly only use imgburn nowadays anyway.

- wierd, that's a snippet from a burn a few days ago. Hmmm, strange.

- snippet from an imburn log.

Anyways, i'll have a re-read thru the entire thread from the start..

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@LilMikey

That was 15 Sep You said nothing had changed that day. What could be so important you installed since then. A simple system restore just removes programs not your files AND can be undone. You do what you want but that's a no lose situation if your pc is properly configured. I would hope you dated your back ups, and so you can choose the date of the last successful Verb back up. If it does not work, undo it, and you're still back to not burning dvds.

12. LilMikeyP

LilMikeyP Member

If you come up with anything, let me know.

13. LilMikeyP

LilMikeyP Member

Yes, but I hadn't attempted to burn anything for about a month. I think 8/18 was my last successful Nero burn log. So when I say today (the 15th), maybe I should clarify that by saying I have not had a problem since I burned last up until today.

As far as a rollback goes, I know it only uninstalls software/drivers, etc, but doesn't touch documents. However, I have installed a bunch of software since then, and I will have to reinstall all of that. My backups I just want to make sure are up to date just in case something goes wrong. It's never a bad idea to do that, even if you're just doing a rollback.

14. killalot

killalot Active member

I did read something a wile back ,that some systems with 4 gig of ram can be problematic think that’s the correct phrase its late :( so might be worth taking a stick or 2 out just to prove a point

15. creaky

That's not the case here nor have i read that anywhere though..

16. killalot

killalot Active member

Originally posted by creaky: I've never had a need to mess with the Buffer settings.
    In fact it's been a very very long time since i last even checked any of my Nero logs. Just noticed that Nero thinks i've only got 2GB

17. creaky

Sure.. but i'm just assuming that because my version of Nero is quite old it can't cater for/or just can't recognise the 3.4GB of usable RAM on my particular machine; i've also not found anything on the internet about Nero being problematic as you put it/nor have i found any info re why Nero seems to only recognise 2GB..

18. LilMikeyP

LilMikeyP Member

Well I don't think it's not recognizing the fact that I have 4 gigs of RAM because of the fact that it is reporting it. For whatever reason, though, it's just not allowing me (seemingly) to burn anything above the useable amount of RAM left.

19. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I think it's one of the programs you have installed since you're last good burn. But there's that thing about still being able to do a Ridata disc. puzzling? I'm outta ideas.

20. LilMikeyP

LilMikeyP Member

Exactly my thoughts. The Ridata's work fine. I'm absolutely stumped. Which is exactly why I posted the thread to begin with :p