1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Buffer level Only 41%

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Herrlip, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Herrlip

Herrlip Guest

Hi Guys - I 've used various burning programs such as moviefactory - pinnicale - dvd fab - all with varing success, but I love my nero - and the reason I left it for a while was the buffer level was playing up.

I run Windowa ME for my sins and when I burn with nero ROM my films are doing the classic of stopping and starting then freezing totally. On the bottom of the nero screen I have a buffer level which only wants to go to 41% - why is this? I think it has something to do with my drivers but I dont now what the spec is.

Mind you I could be totally wrong.

Any help would be fantastic

Thanks Guys

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Does your total time seem long for a dvd backup? first thing to check: go into your device manager and check the IDE controller channels. Make sure they are set to DMA not PIO. Change to DMA if necessary. If they won't stay on DMA, remove both IDE controllers from the list, reboot and let Windows re-install them for you. That usually will reset them to DMA and should help fix the buffer problem. If they are already on DMA then the problem is something else. Maybe too much running in the background like anti virus programs or excessive spyware.

Jerry

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I had a problem similar, buffer hung around 50%, would take twice as long to burn as normal. I uninstalled and reinstalled Nero, works fine now. I didn't check what Jerry said though, that might be a quicker fix.

4. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Is it the higher the buffer level the better? What does buffer do read ahead before it writes?

5. bardie

bardie Regular member

Yes the higher buffer the better.
    Try turning off everything in the background that may be running....everything.
    Don't use your computer whilst you are in this process, the more resources your CPU has at this time the better.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Thats a good way of explaining it. If the burner speed gets ahead of the information source you get burn errors or an aborted burn. The buffer stores enough data from the source to keep that from happening. So I guess it is a read ahead type system making sure data keeps flowing without interruption to the burner.

Jerry

7. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

That explains it very well. Thanks to all..