1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NERO + BURN = COASTER

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cats7, May 19, 2004.

1. cats7

cats7 Guest

Having some new problems lately: Using Nero (latest update) with external Iomega burner to back-up DVDs. In about 1 out of 4 discs, between 30%-70% through the burn, the writing stalls out completely - the burner keeps spinning the disc but no more writing happens. Also, I'm now sometimes getting the famous blue screen afte some successful burns when I eject the completed dvdr and start a new one.

Any thoughts on where to start looking for the problems?? Are they related? Is it just the blank media or do I have a bigger problem with the stalling. But seems like the blue screen problem has nothing to do with blank media. Thoughts???? thanks in advance.

2. mark666

mark666 Guest

Sounds like Nero.Do you have incd installed, un-install if you do.Try another burning program eg copytodvd.You can download a trial version.Check to make sure DMA is enabled in Device manager.
    Have you tried shutting down all other programs while burning, anti-virus,firewall etc.
    Hope this helps.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Some thoughts,

Is the burner connected to a USB 2 or USB1.1 port?

What OS?

Do you have the latest firmware for your burner?

What brand/type media are you using?

Have you defragmented your hard drive?

Are you multitasking while burning?

Do you have Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator on your system?

4. cats7

cats7 Guest

thanks for the feedback. I've uninstalled and reistalled Nero a few times already, but still dealing with the blue screen problem. am not multitasking while burning and the only other program running in the background is a firewall.

burner is connected via USB 2 port and have the latest official firmware. How would any of this affect the blue screen since it seems to be a Nero problem? Also no Roxio, but do have Iomega's burning software installed. I guess I'l uninstall it and see what happens.

But I'm a little miffed on the stalling thing. Could it be the media? It's Verbatim. Anyway, I have some Ritek's on the way so we'll see what happens. But my main concern is that it may be a Nero problem? If so, is there anything to do???

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Try and use Nero's clean pack, this sometimes helps me when I have a Nero problem.

http://www.nero.com/en/631938356417810.html

Verbatim with the purple metal azo dye is usually pretty good stuff.

The problem I'm having with a new Sony double layer burner is similar to yours. As the burn prosess reaches 66%, the "used read buffer" drops to zero, then climbs back slowly to 100%. The burn does not proceed after that nor does the program respond. I have to end it with task manager.
    This only happens with one eposodic movie I have on my hard drive, everything else burns normally. The biggest difference betwwen these files and the other stuff I burned is the amount of compression, about 55%, everything else I'm burning is above 70%.

What is a bit odd though is that I can burn these files at 4X if I use the Shrink/Nero auto burn combination, but I can't burn the same files with Burning ROM, unless I burn to a DVD -R/W disc.
    It may be a speed issue with these highly compressed files, the used -R/W only burns at 1X compared to 4X using a Ritek G-04 -R.

I'll get it sorted out when I have a bit more time to play with it. New burners can be a pain.

Cheers,
    Frank

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: May 19, 2004
  6. cats7

cats7 Guest

Frank, thanks for the Nero clean pack. the stall problem you described is EXACTLY the same as mine. But it doesn't happen with just one specific movie - it happens randomly with every 1 out of 4 or so. BTW, I don't compress anything to less than 70%, so it can't be that.

It's not a new burner, and this is a recent/new problem. Someone suggested updating the aspi layer, or just bypassing Nero altogether by using Shrink and Decrypter. Or use the integrated Shrink/Nero combo. Uhhh, I'm at a loss and I hate coasters!

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Nero has its own aspi: Wnaspi32.dll Version 2.0.1.59. You can go here and check:

http://www.nero.com/en/631940733573829.html

If you have the latest version of Nero, 6.3.1.10 then you ought to have the latest aspi as well.

I haven't had this burner long enough to know if it is going to act up on movies besides the one I'm having problems with. Time will tell.

What I did do is a general system clean up, delete a bunch of movies and other junk. I also deleted all my DVD Shrink analysis files. They are located under Docs and Settings/all users/application data/Shrink.

I did a disc clean and disc defrag, a virus scan and ran registry mechanic to help sort out all the garbage.

I'll run the clean pack and then give it another shot. I'm also going to try a slower burn speed... Like I mentioned before, an Imation DVD -RW burned well at 1X so it may be a relationship between the file compression and the burn speed.
    Heavily compressed files may not burn properly at higher speeds? I do not know.

Do you use Nero's Infotool? Its a good way to see all your different aspi and drivers installed, it should be in the Nero toolkit that comes with Nero.

Well I gotta go to work on this,

Talk to ya later,
    Frank
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: May 20, 2004
  8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

So my new Sony is working now. Completed a burn at 4X with the same disc that wouldn't complete previously.

What I did to make it work:

I ran Nero's clean pack. the driver cleaner noted no conflicting drivers, the registry checker found some errors and corrected them.

Re-booted and discovered that DVD43 was no longer functioning, the registry corrections made disabled the driver for DVD43.

I performed some system maintenance.
    I did some generic clean-up by deleting movies from my hard drive, performing a disc clean-up and disc defragmentation.
    I completed a virus scan (none found) and deleted a bunch of cookies.
    I deleted all previous DVD Shrink analysis result files. I had about 50 or so.

I ran Registry Mechanic which found 14 errors in my registry.

I used the Nero clean tool again, no problems noted.

I rebooted and used Shrink to analyze and encode the movie. I then opened Nero Burning ROM and made a successful burn at 2X, using Memorex -R media. I repeated the burn at 4X. :D

Because I did more than one thing to correct the problem, it's hard to figure out which one actually worked.