1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero burning problem

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by jersey23, Jul 13, 2005.

1. jersey23

jersey23 Guest

i have the nero burning 6 software. everytime i try to make a copy of dvd, it fails. sometimes it decodes the dvd fine, but it nero starts to copy the cd to a dvd-rw, during the process, it gives a message "burning process failed" and ejects the blank dvd-rw. i have no idea what is the problem. can someone please help me out? thank you.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

jersey23
    Welcome to AD!
    First thing: what media are you using? Your burner may not like the media or format.
    Second thing: Is your firmware up to date? What's the model of your burner?
    It's also might be good to post your Nero log.

3. jersey23

jersey23 Guest

I am using the Nero Burning ROM Version 6.3.1.12, and copying on to a blank DVD-RW. my firmware version is: TB02. i have no clue if it is up to date or not. if its possible, can you tell me where i can find out? i went to "my computer" to look up the properties of my burner. its a TDK DVDRW040N. The driver version is 5.1.2535.0. this is all i knew where to look up. i dont have any previous nero log file, but i can try copying another dvd, and get that one and post it on later if you want. i also have the Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 installed on my pc, which actually came with the DVD burner and we installed it before the nero software. the nero came with my dvd player/CDWR. if you need anymore information from me, i can post it up about my problem. if possible, can you also recommend any other software i can use to copy dvds while my problem with nero is going on? thanks alot.

4. binkie7

Okay I couldn't find anything on your burner. The closest I found was a
    TDK DVDRW0404N but the firmware was 1.something not TB02.
    Nero and Roxio do not play well together. I would uninstall Roxio and keep Nero.
    Nero will also show you your drives and the firmware. In SmartStart click on Toolkit>NeroInfoTool pick the drive for your burner - under the drive tab there is a field for firmware version. It will also give the model.
    As for the log - Nero stores the last one under C:program files>Ahead>Nero>NeroHistory.log
    What media/blank DVD's are you using?
    First I would uninstall Roxio if that doesn't work you can also use the Decrypter/Shrink combo until this is sorted out.
    Use this link for guides:
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/guides.htm

5. binkie7

Oh one more thing the latest version of nero is 6.6.0.15.
    You should also uprgade to that.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

7. jersey23

jersey23 Guest

i got the Firmware version. it is: 1.06. if by media, you mean the type of blank discs i am using, i have used a Memorex DVD-RW and a TDK DVD-R. both of them have not worked. i tried copying a dvd just now, but the same thing happened. however, i do have it's log file. one more thing, how do i update my nero?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2005
  8. arniebear

arniebear Active member

You need to edit out your serial number, the one beginning 1Axxx, would not want anyone to steal it.

If your firmware is 1.06 you are way behind this is original firmware you now need 1.0C. Go here and scroll down find your burner and download file, and flash your drive.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=53

You may want to re-think using Memorex disks these are not the best. TDK is much better.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  9. jersey23

jersey23 Guest

how can i edit out my serial #.

10. jersey23

jersey23 Guest

never mind i figured it out. sorry.

11. jersey23

jersey23 Guest

i am actually really nervous of flashing this drive. i have never actually done this kind of thing before and i am afraid that it mite go wrong.

12. arniebear

arniebear Active member

If you want your drive to recognize new media and disk speed, you really need to flash. Your firmware is really old. This drive is an OEM NEC ND 1300a. I have this drive and have flashed with the newer firmware and have not had problems, but flashing is always a risk. However, you will continue to have problems if you do not. It is your decision.

13. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

jersey23 welcome is this your first attempt at burning have you had any success with other dvds I have this same burner and love it what decoders are you using. you only mentioned nero. nero by itself wont do it i agree with binkie7 get rid of roxio hated it nero is far better you said quote "sometimes it decodes the dvd fine, but it nero starts to copy the cd to a dvd-rw, during the process, it gives a message "burning process failed".. Nero can not decode dvds. i dont think your firmware or version of nero matters at all.the only thing you gain with firmware is really being able to have your burner recongnized higher disk speeds and burn them at you burners max speed instead of at the default of 2x and im running nero 5.5 and have no problems. are you using dvdshrink or dvddecryptor or anydvd and are your drives set to udma.

14. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

jersey23 i have had this tdk drive for about 2 yrs and i just flashed the drive so it would recongnize the 16x disk as 16x so i could burn at 4x instead of being locked a 2x.before the flash it showed the disk at 2x because the drive didnt have the proper info so it made them 2x follow. flashing the drive is easy download the file from tdk make sure it is the right one run the flash reboot you should be fine.I know how you feel i was scared to do it too but hey how are you going to learn kind of a pricey lesson.do this at your own risk but you should be fine.I personally would get this problem solved before i flashed like i wrote in my first post i dont think this a firware problem your burner should at least be able to recongnize the disk and still be able to burn.But like i asked in my first post i need a little more info.what media are you using exactly.

15. jersey23

jersey23 Guest

well... i haven't flashed my dvd drive yet. i tried copying a dvd with Clonedvd. it decoded fine, but again, when it was writing, it ejected the blank dvd and had a burning error. so i am getting to the conclusion maybe its not nero, maybe it is my dvd writer which is not updated or flashed or something. again i used a TDK blank DVD-R.

16. arniebear

arniebear Active member

You are not going to know until you flash the drive. Your firmware now is about two years old.

17. binkie7

As arniebear said update your firmware. The firmware does more than update the burn speeds of your blank media. It also allows your burner to recognize and or give writing support for media. You should also check both the brand of discs used in NeroInfoTool for the actual manufacturer. Both use CMC Mag which is the worst. Memorex more so uses the dreaded CMC.

18. creaky

@slmh1296 - updating firmware is a must, next in importance comes updating software that's used, as with all software, bugs are fixed along the way. more bugs creep in to newer patches/software, then newer patches come along, and round the merry-go-round we go again. The crux of problems such as this (and any type of troubleshooting) is always getting the basics right, such as firmware, software, media, burn speeds etc etc. There might even be hardware problems that cause problems like this, but until the basics are sorted, the underlying problems are 'masked'

19. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

hey creaky, arniebear the only reason i was thinking to fix the burn problem first instead of flashing is i have this same exact drive and i set my freind up with the same one i have done over 200+ backups and my friend has had great sucess. Now i have never tried dvd-rw so i am not very knowlegable thier.I just figured since i just flashed my drive two weeks ago due to fear of doing it before like jearsey23. He should be getting some results i fell.i do know firmware does much more than media corrections but that is all that pertained to this post. jersey23 you took down the error report what was it?. are you able to burn anything with this drive? like even an old cd-r make a music cd using a cd-r or dvd-r in data mode. Also go ahead and flash your drive these guys are right you do want to stay as current as possiable.I would switch to dvdshrink and dvd decryptor or the new dvd fab follow some of the guides in the guide area. oh yeah make sure you uninstall roxio.

20. creaky

no worries, unfortunately most firmware i come across for burners don't have any documentation as to what they're fixing so just have to take it as read that it's better to upgrade. I work with big servers/tape drives at work where firmware/software upgrades are infinitely more detailed in what's being addressed in the updates. I push stuff like keeping up to date also because there will be people out there (outside of the posters involved in the threads) who read these posts and they will hopefully take heed in what's said about updating