1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero cache problem

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bonzah, Apr 11, 2004.

1. bonzah

bonzah Member

Hi Guys,
    Been using Nero 6 for a while for burning music never had a problem until now.
    The following message comes up:
    "Nero was unable to create a temporary file to store the files that were dragged into the compilation. Please check the nero cache preferences page and select a valid cache path."
    I have uninstalled Nero and reinstalles but get same problem.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Cheers.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

This message means that the drive where nero stores temporary data doesn't have enough free space anymore - or that a drive is set for temporary storage that doesn't exist anymore. Do what the error message suggests: Check the path for temporary storage set in Nero and either change it to a drive with enough space or free some space on the drive Nero uses right now.

3. bonzah

bonzah Member

Hi Tigre,
    Thanks for the reply.
    How do I check the path for temporary storage or change storage drive.
    Cheers

4. tigre

File -> Preferences -> Cache ...

5. bonzah

bonzah Member

Tigre,
    The current cache setting is
    C:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp\
    Is there an ideal setting?
    Cheers

6. tigre

In Nero Preferences -> Cache menu there's a dropdown menu directly below the words "Drive ... Speed ... Free". Open it and select a drive with enough free space (1GB should be enough for CD burning - for DVD you might need > 5GB.); "ideally" choose the one with most free space. Then just select any directory from that drive (if you want create a new one like d:\nerotemp).

If there's no drive with enough space, you should free space by e.g. emptying recycle bin, delete files from temp folder, back up downloaded stuff on CD-R and delete it - or get another (bigger and/or additional) HDD.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AFTERDAWN FORUM RULES: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  7. bonzah

bonzah Member

Tigre,
    In the drop down box I only have the one option, which is C drive and it says there is 98,434MB spare, when I go into system information on My Computer it tells me there is 91.24GB spare on C drive.
    I am missing something obvious here?
    Steve.

8. tigre

Strange. No similar problems here (Win2k + C: partition in NTFS file system). You might want to send a bug report to Ahead...

As workarround creating a separate partition on your HDD should work (smaller partitions are better anyway, e.g. for defragmentation) or - if you don't want to do this, you could try some virtual drive software like Dekart PrivateDiskLight (free) to create a that can be used by Nero for temporary storage.

9. n00gles

n00gles Member

tigre (Moderator)wrote:

"In Nero Preferences -> Cache menu there's a dropdown menu directly below the words "Drive ... Speed ... Free". Open it and select a drive with enough free space (1GB should be enough for CD burning - for DVD you might need > 5GB.); <snip>"

The max allowable cache size you can create is 999MB. Don't know if Nero wants to precache everything in the collection or if it uses the disk cache dynamically - prob the latter.

10. Mo91

Mo91 Member

This is my first msg on this forum:
    Is there any way to clear the cache in this temp folder?

11. Mo91

Mo91 Member

can someone please help me? I get the same cache memory error that the user above is getting. I've located the file that Nero appends to, however instead of increasing the memory allocation size, is there any way to clear the cache after each session? I'm stuck guys!

12. bonzah

bonzah Member

I found that my problem, was in fact not Nero but a corrupt track on a disc I was trying to copy.
    Might be worth checking what you are tring to copy for errors.