1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero causes computer to freeze when transcoding

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mwbeyeler, Sep 12, 2007.

1. mwbeyeler

mwbeyeler Member

I have had a persistent problem with Nero ever since I bought my dvd burner.

Basically every time I try to burn a video file in a dvd format the computer freezes at the end of the transcoding process. Not even a ctrl-alt-delete can release the computer, I have to hold in the power button to get the computer working again.

I have Nero 6.6.1.15, with vision express 3 (including the patch), Express 6, Burning Rom 6 etc.

My computer is an AMD Athlon 2000+ 1.6ghz, 512mb RAM, Windows XP Professional edition.The burner is a Philips DVDR1660P1. The file that I was trying to burn was a 33mb windows media file, though this problem has occurred with mpegs and avis of all sizes. I have never been able to do a sucessful burn in the dvd format.

I have however, managed to burn numerous files to dvd in the data format so the burner definitely works. I just don't understand why it won't let me burn anything in the dvd format. I've also tried vcd, out of desperation, just to see if that has the same problem, and yep, it does. So no success there either. Obviously because the computer always freezes I've not got to the point where I have an error log.

For a long time I thought it was the operating system that was messed up but I've recently had to reformat the C drive and install Windows XP Pro (previously I had home edition) but the problem remains. I have also updated all my device drivers.

Any help would be really very much appreciated so if anyone could help shed some light on this problem I'd be really grateful. If there's any other details that are needed please say and I'll do my best to provide them.

Thanks in advance.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Free up memory by shutting down unneeded programs and no multi-tasking.

Try splitting the transcoding from the burning part by saving the output to the hard drive.

Check the CPU temp isn't going too high during transcoding.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Hmonitor_d269.html

3. mwbeyeler

mwbeyeler Member

Thanks for the help.

I tried all three ideas.I stopped most of the processes that I thought were not necessary to run, stopped McAfee security centre etc but the problem remained. The processor usage went up to 99 per cent then dropped to 75 at the precise moment it crashed.

Then I tried 'burning' to the hard drive. The problem remained exactly the same.

I installed the H monitor programme to look at the temperature and it was recorded at 56.2 degree celsius at the moment it froze. I don't know a great deal about processor temperatures etc but from what I can tell for an AMD athlon processor that's pretty low.

So not really sure what to make of this one and it is at the stage when I'm getting really frustrated :-(

4. attar

attar Senior member

It seems the 'burning' part isn't the problem, it's the converting.
    To see if it's just Nero, try converting an AVI or MPEG with VSO.
    It's a pretty basic program, but it works.
    If it runs to the end, try burning the output with ImgBurn.

http://dl.afterdawn.com/vsoDivxToDVD_setup_v0.5.2b.exe
    Import the file(s) (AVI, WMV,MPEG, VOB)
    Output (standard DVD file format) to a folder on the HDD.
    Set 'Aspect' to 4:3 (if you have a regular tv)
    Set 'Standard' to NTSC (if you live in North America)

http://www.imgburn.com/

Run ImgBurn
    Click 'Mode' > 'Build'
    Click 'Output' > 'Device'
    Click 'File' > 'Browse for Folder', highlight on the 'VIDEO_TS' folder, > 'OK'
    Set burning speed to 4x and click the green write button.

5. mwbeyeler

mwbeyeler Member

I've been away for a couple of days but got round to trying what was suggested yesterday.

Unfortunately it didn't work. They were the same files sizes as before but the transcoding just wasn't having it. It came up with an error message about audio in both cases - on one file at the beginning of transcoding and the other towards the end. The computer didn't freeze this time but then it didn't get the job done either.

I tried with another program, DVDflick but on that occasion the computer once again froze during the conversion.

There's obviously something wrong with my computer set up, be it a lack of ram, slow processor or whatever. Does anyone have any firm ideas or methods that could help me establish what the problem is?

6. attar

attar Senior member

Boot up to Safe Mode and try transcoding.
    That way you should have the max memory available - btw is DMA turned on for the drive and burner?

7. mwbeyeler

mwbeyeler Member

Ok, I'll give it a try in Safe mode.

In the meantime, re dma, I thought it was enabled - in device manager on both the primary and secondary IDE channels the box in the advanced tab is ticked for 'dma if available'.

But when I did view by resources in device manager, the burner is not listed among those that are in the dma folder. Presumably I need to change this? If so, how?

8. attar

attar Senior member

Apart from the 'Transfer Mode', there is also the 'Current Transfer Mode'.
    If that shows as DMA (and if the drive is an IDE drive) then the setting needs no adjustment.
    And I think the Channel on the controller is the actual 'resource' - not the burner.