1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Causing Audio Problems in Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mrterryc, Sep 22, 2007.

1. mrterryc

mrterryc Member

I am running under Windows Vista Ultimate and, until recently, Nero 7.10.1.0.

Under XP, it was necessary to install something like Nero (or PowerDVD or WinDVD etc.) to be able to play DVD's (or MPEG files) within Windows Media Player. After installing some third-party software, the DVD tab in Windows Media Player would show, within "Advanced," that the Nero (or other program) codec had been linked to Windows Media Player.

Under Windows Vista Ultimate, which comes with Windows Media Center, it is no longer necessary to have third-party software to play DVD's (or MPEG files) within Windows Media Player.

PowerDVD, if you like their features, installs without impacting Windows Media Player. The DVD tab does not show the "Advanced" option as live. Nero still does, and since some version of Version 7, makes all my MPEG files play video without sound. I have tried both SPDIF and Speakers output, but no sound in either case. Nero Showtime plays such files well, and so does PowerDVD, as does every other program that reads MPEG files, but the mere presence on the system of Nero (I've even tried installing ONLY the Burning features, without Showtime or ANY other features), and I get the same hook from Nero with Windows Media Player, and no sound for MPEG files).

I've done a full "clean uninstall" and reinstall, and Nero will still not play MPEG files with sound within Windows Media Player. So, for the moment, my long term relationship with Nero seems to have reached its limits: I can't use the program. It is no longer present on my system, and I've read nothing that should make me want to upgrade to Version 8. I've been able to use Ashampoo products for my burning projects, as well as TMPGEnc products. Neither interferes with Windows Media player.

Something is obviously wrong, there don't seem to be any similar reports from others, so I'm pretty much stuck with the decision that "Nero will no longer work for me." I've used Nero for a LONG time, and this experience is disappointing. There's no reason that Nero should add to or enhance anything in Windows Media Player. It should function completely as a standalone "good neighbor" application.

Absent any constructive suggestions, I can no longer use Nero.

Terry Carroll

2. attar

attar Senior member