1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero CD burning suddenly locking up system

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by SantaFe, Aug 26, 2004.

1. SantaFe

SantaFe Member

Has anyone else here experienced this same problem with Nero? I've used it to edit and burn at least 500-600 mp3s and haven't had a single problem. However, when opening an mp3 file to add track separations in Wave Editor the other day, my PC completely froze while the peak file creation was around 60%. I had to power down and then restart. I tried it again with the same result. I restarted, opened the buring application and during the burn it froze my system. I had to power down again and restart. I have uninstalled Nero, reinstalled and downloaded and applied the latest update but am still having the same problem. Does anyone have a suggestion for a fix? My system: P3 1ghz, 512 RAM, COmpaq Presario. Thanks!

2. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

How large was the MP3 file you were trying to modify with Nero Wav Editor?

Do you only have this issue with this one audio file?

When you attempted the burn, were you using this one audio file, among others, as the source for the CD you were trying to create?

Do you have our latest Nero 6.3.1.20 installed?

Regards,

Craig

3. SantaFe

SantaFe Member

HI Craig: Yes, I'm using that version of Nero. I had not udated to that version when this problem began, but I installed it after this began happening hoping it would fix the problem. The approx. size of the mp3 file I was opening in Wave Editor was around 85,000kb. I've opened files as large as 350,000kb in Wave Editor wihtout any problems. I tried to open several other mp3 files of varying size and they also locked up. However, I was able to open an mp3 file of about 30,000kb in Wave Editor. After separating and svaing those tracks, I was able to burn them with the CD burn utility. But, I tried to burn a CD of various tracks totalling about 73,000kb and it locked up!
    I'm not certain what you are asking with "When you attempted the burn, were you using this one audio file, among others, as the source for the CD you were trying to create?" If you are asking if I tried to burn a CD using the large file I had tried to open and edit, the answer is no. One thing I did find though, was that after restarting my PC following the Wave Editor lock up, I opened Wave Editor again and tried to open the file that had locked up. It only opened the file up to the point of lock up. In the "oscilliscope-type" graph, the audio signal was visible but at the point where it locked up, and all the way past that point, the grpah line is flat as if there is no audio signal. But I placed the pointer at a point on the flat part, plressed the play button, and the music at that section was there. Very strange. I've tried opening several other different mp3 files to edit and all locked up. Same for the burning.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

ccampbell

You really need to identify yourself and start a new thread so that these kinds of Nero Problems can be documented. It would also add a focus toward the isolation of these problems, by having them grouped together in a single archive.

5. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Sophocles,

I understand the need to identify myself, and the beifit of doing so. However, not sure I understand your statement about starting a new thread for these kinds of Nero problems, so they can be documented. Can you elaborate on this more?

To respond to what I think you mean, to start a thread for all Nero issues, would this not clutter things up? First off, until some debugging is done on the users end, how can we tell if it's a Nero issue, user error, software conflict, system confict, etc.

Second, if I start one thread for Nero, then you would have people responding to one thread for audio issues, video issues, general questions, etc.

Or do you think there should be one thread for NeroVision, one for Nero Express, one for Nero Burning ROM, one for Nero Recode, one for WAV Editor, one for SoundTrax, one of BackItUp, etc....in other words, a thread for every component of the Nero 6 Suite? Even if we did this, there is the possibility for confusions, but probably less of one.

I an open to any ideas and suggestions on how to go about your suggestion. :)

At this time, I just take it one thread at a time. Try debugging the issue, and if it turns out to be a bug, I generate a bug report on it, and then when a resolution is forthcoming, respond back to the original thread.

Regards,

Craig

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

ccampbell

I didn't mean to complicate things, only to suggest that a single thread or two about Nero's bugs and issues could help to narrow the topic. I see a benefit for both Nero and the forum.

7. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Sophocles,

Ahh, I see what your getting at. Not a bad idea, but still a little tricky, as bugs come and go so quickly. I'll really need to stay on top of it to make sure its updated as soon as a known bug is found and resolved.

Hmm, let me think about this before I just jump in feet first as it were. :)

But overall I think it is a good idea and could help many.

Regards,

Craig

8. SantaFe

SantaFe Member

Hi Craig: well, I was able to isolate and fix the problem. Turns out that Nero was the source of the problem, it was my processor overheating while running Nero. I applied a good dose of thermal paste between the top of the proc and the bottom of the fan and all's well now! Thanks again for your help.
    Mark

9. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Your system only overheats when using Nero? That's a new one onme. :)

I'll make a note of it so our Tech's can use this information for trouble shooting others issues. Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

10. SantaFe

SantaFe Member

Craig: That's the only conclusion I can come to at the moment. Once I applied the thermal paste, Nero's Wave Editor and CD Burn worked fine. I'm not a gamer, so I wouldn't be able to tell if the system would overheat with those applications as well as Nero.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

SantaFe

The paste might have helped but unless you were using Nero recode, Nero isn't otherwise that CPU intensive. Recode is CPU intensive just as are all transcoders because of video compression.

12. SantaFe

SantaFe Member

I don't think I'm using Recode, it doesn't sound familiar. My cpu usage reading in Task manager hovers around 90-95% when Neros running wiht nothing else open. Hoe can I tell if I'm using Recode? I thgouht I was using the basic, latest Nero version.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

SantaFe

Recode comes with Nero Ultra 6X and is only used like DVD Shrink to compress video. If your CPU usage is that hight then something is awry. Have you checked your CPU usage when Nero's not running?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  14. SantaFe

SantaFe Member

I'm around 2% now, Outlook and Explorer are all that's running. I've never used the video burning portion of Nero because I don't have a DVD-RW drive.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

SantaFe

Encoding MP3 to wav can use CPU resources but burning shouldn't hit anywhere near the use that you are reporting. Are your drives set to P10 or DMA?

16. SantaFe

SantaFe Member

I don't know what that means.

17. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

18. SantaFe

SantaFe Member

Thanks Nephilim, but I'm running Win2KPro.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Go to my computer, right click on it and choose properties. Then at the top choose hardware, device manager. You'll see a list. Look for IDE/ATAPI controllers. Click on the + sign and you'll see Primary and secondary IDE channels, right click on Primary and choose properties and go to advanced settings. Under transfer mode it should say DMA if available and in current transfer mode it should say DMA 5 not P10. Now go to secondary IDE channel and right click and choose properties and do the same as before and it should say Current trasnfer mode is Ultra DMA 2. If it says P10 then you need to change it. Go to transfer mode and click the arrow pointing down and choose DMA if available and click ok, reboot and you're done.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Win XP and Win2k settings are the same.