1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero: CD Write Speed is false

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by jp73, Aug 25, 2003.

1. jp73

jp73 Guest

Hello I use Nero to handle all my CD Burning. Recently I just noticed that it burns at 32x. I have a iomega CD Burner and is fully supported. What makes this weird is that is use to burn at 40x, which is the correct burn speed. I bought new CD that are 48x compatible. I can't imagine the CD being the problem. It's seems that this problem strated when I used these new cd though. It's weird, when you burning a 600MB CD, there is a difference between 32x and 40x. I was going to reinstall Nero, what do you think? Any Suggestions? Thanks!

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Regardless of what the sticker on the case or even on the media disc says regarding the maximum speed is unfortuantely irrelevant. Nero will automatically display the (and subsequently allow you to) burn at the maximum possible speed. Which in this case appears to be 32x.

What might the ATIP on that media be dude? (ATIP is basically an underlying code about who actually made the disc and then sold it to the company that put the sticker on the box). Grab yourself a program called CDRIdentifier to do the reading

3. sajnam

sajnam Member

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I just bought some Ritek CD-Rs. They are supposed to be 48x, but when I try to write to them, the max speed is 8x.
    Im using a NEC CD-RW NR-9100A with firmware version 108A, the max speed it can write is 40x, and I have written at this speed many times before without a problem.
    Ive tried using Nero and Easy CD Creator, and both behave the same.
    I tried using CDRIdentifier, but it doesnt list my CD Drive. But I dont think the discs are the problem anyway, as i tried them in my Pioneer DVD/CD Writer, and the max speed came up as 16x, which is the max speed of the DVD/CD Drive.
    Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?
    Could it be due to Firmware? Maybe it needs updating.

4. jp73

jp73 Guest

Yeah I used the CDR Identifier but it never listed my CDRW drive. Should it matter that it's an external CDRW drive? I treid getting updates, but I was told that since I'm running Win XP Pro, the drivers were already in the system. What a weird problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2003
  5. sajnam

sajnam Member

I don't think it would matter that its external, since I have one external and two internal drives, and it doesnt list any of them.

I did try using Nero Info tool, and it said that my system's ASPI driver installation was corrupt. Ive heard of ASPI, but I dont really know much about it. Maybe thats got something to do with the problem.

6. sajnam

sajnam Member

Just updated my Firmware. Made no difference.

7. jp73

jp73 Guest

That's strange, well I guess I can't find out the info on the CDR. Back to square one.

8. Praetor

LOL I have had the same experience (although not so bad, labeled as 32x but only capable of 24x).

That it would.... make sure you have a properly installed ASPI (for sheer all around compatibility, use ASPI 4.60 as opposed to the newer 4.7x)
    ASPI: http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Firmware prolly wone make that big a difference; the problem is most likely the media you are using.

9. jp73

jp73 Guest

Thanks for the info. What I don't understand is why the media would be causing this situation. If the media is 48x compadiable shouldn't it burn up to 48x? Weird!

10. sajnam

sajnam Member

Thanks for the advice.
    Used Adaptec ASPIchecker. It showed that I had two aspi files missing, but apparently in WinXP I dont need them.

I have discovered that Alcohol 120% gives the ATIP info too, and it turns out that my CDr are not manufactured by Ritek, but Plasmon Data Systems Ltd. So Im gonna send them back. I bought them from WCWMedia.com, might wanna avoid that shop in future.

11. jp73

jp73 Guest

Just used alcohol 120% and it worked beautifully. I found out that my CD-R's are made by Ritek Co. It says the maximum speed supported with disk is 32x even though the package says up to 48x compatible.

12. Praetor

Well that would be an incorrect understanding. CDRIdentifier as well as other fancy little tools like ClonyXXL have issues when you do not have a correctly installed ASPI. ASPI: http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Like i said before just because the fancy sticker on the CD says its 48x doesnt mean shit. Ive bought plenty of media which say they are rated at whatever speed and dont match that speed in reality at all! (Memorex and XenonPro discs in specific). The determining characteristic is the ATIP information, who made your disc - not who marketed it. Apparently Ritek is a good company now but in the past they have been dismal (and yes, Ritek made both the Memorex and XenonPro discs).

What marketing brand name are those discs labeled as... Plasmon sounds very familiar.

13. jp73

jp73 Guest

So which CDR's would you recommend getting, I always get TDK, but not after this. Thanks for your help.

14. Praetor

WOW.... I'm flabbergasted and speachless... TDK discs. That was unexpected. Normally i would have reccommended Verbatim, TDK, Maxell -- anything made by Mitsubishi really. They are excellent quality (for me at least) and of decent price.

15. sajnam

sajnam Member

Apparently TDK get there discs made by various manufacturers, some good, some bad, so you never know with them.

16. Praetor

yes i know but still... this is the first time i have ever heard a bad thing about TDK ever.

17. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well I've been able to burn at "near max" using BlindWrite Suite& burnatonce. Nero 6.x, I'm limited and even went into the registry to hack but came up empy handed. I do know one can hack the regisrty using Nero 5.5.x to get "max" write speed.

Shoey :)

18. Praetor

Indeed i can used to be able to get max speed using CDRWIN5/Discjuggler but I have managed to ruin that ability by installing one of the countless programs I have... might i have been ASPI? I may check it out sometime if i manage to find time this week

19. jp73

jp73 Guest

Thanks for the info guys. I know, I'm surprised at TDK myself. That's why I was reluctant to believe the ASPI info. I never would of expected this from TDK. Thanks everybody!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2003
  20. jp73

jp73 Guest

I wanted to compare my new disks with my already burned CDR's. My burned CDR's are made by CMC Magnetics Corporation. It just comfirms that TDK uses different companies to make their disks.