1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Closes

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by shieldga, Mar 11, 2007.

1. shieldga

shieldga Member

Hello,

Nero Burning ROM worked fine in all modes until tonight. I was about to burn a disc, and when I selected the type of disc I was burning and hit "new", Nero flat out just closes.

The only thing that's changed on my system as of late is that I've installed Office '07.

As mentioned, Nero has worked fine before in burning ISOs, Video_TS & Audio_TS DVD discs, standard CDs, just about anything you can think of.

One final note, I have to run Nero in Windows 2000 Compatibility mode to get it to run at all.

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

You might want to mention you are running Vista when you post, so everyone can hide! ;) At least, I am assuming you are running Vista.

You need to run one of the last two versions of Nero 7 for it to be Vista compatible, and even then Nero says only Burning ROM and Express are Vista Compatible. But you should not have to run it in a compatibility mode, just make sure and insatll as administrator.

3. shieldga

shieldga Member

@Saltgrass

Why would I mention running Vista when I'm running XP SP2? I have to run it in compatibility mode for some unknown reason: it just has a critical error if I don't and must close.

To avoid any more presumptions:

Windows XP SP2 Domain Controlled machine
    Running on HP nw8000 notebook
    Pentium M 1.6Ghz
    1 Gb RAM
    DVD + RW, CDRW (GCA-4040N)

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

If you are running Nero in Win2000 mode from within XP, then you have other problems. Which version of Nero do you have (6 or 7 and version number)?

I would suggest you use the clean tools to uninstall and reboot, then reinstall, perhaps a Nero update, and try to get it working normally.

Office 07 sort of came out with Vista, which is one reason I thought you were running it. There may be a problem with it in XP and Nero, I don't know. You are also the first post I have seen where Nero was being run in some type of compatiblily mode.

5. shieldga

shieldga Member

Saltgrass, thanks for your continued support!

I'm running version 7.0.0.0, and I think I tried clean tools a long time ago to no avail. Could you provide a link for that?

I know what you're saying about Office/Vista, but the truth of the matter is that they really are separate entities, and not really even marketed together. In no way are they actually related, because one doesn't come with the other, and the fact that Office '07 came out quite a bit (days & months) before Vista did suggests that Office ran an independent schedule of development. Anyway, that's neither here nor there, unless somehow Office itself screwed with some important files.

6. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/Clean_Tools.html

Office 7 was written to run on Vista. It would be hard for me to feel confident something written to run on a new operating system might not have a possible conflict with an old OS. But, as you say, it is not supposed to be linked.

Otherwise, you need to get your install working normally in XP. Make sure and keep your serial number since you will need it to install the update. If you don't want to go with the newest update, you might find another version in another area, like this newsgroup, possibly under software. If not there, look in http://www.filehippo.com/

If you install an older release, you will need to put your serial number in for it to work. You may or may not need to use your serial number for the newest release, depending on how it installs. 7.7.5.1 is the latest, and 7.5.9.0(a)is the one just before it.

7. shieldga

shieldga Member

:-/

Just got done completely cleaning my machine of Ahead software:

Uninstalled everything from Add/Remove Programs
    Used the General-Clean tool to remove anything left from Nero
    Used the Registry cleaner to cleanse the registry
    Deleted any remaining files under Program Files directory

Still the same behavior.

I'm going to attempt an install of 7.7.5.1 next...