1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero: Data or DVD-Video?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by txstang, Oct 9, 2004.

1. txstang

txstang Member

Think I posted this in the wrong place last time.

Ok I just burned my first DVD successfully on the first try. I have a question though, I burned it under Nero: "Make Data Disc". Why: because my brother told me so. My standalone reads + and - DVDRs. So what is the difference in DVD video and data burns? Should I be using data or video? I'm using Smart Ripper, DVD2one, and Nero.

What about + and - DVD Rs, which one is more widely compatible? I bought +'s because I knew they worked but I want to try -'s.

2. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

If your burned DVD is playing properly on your DVD player, then my best advice is to continue doing it the way you are now.

Data files and DVD video files are essentually the same thing. DVD video is really just a format of the data.

DVD+ was developed sometime after DVD-(pronounced DVD dash, NOT DVD minus). Some older DVD players won't play DVD+ disks. If your DVD+ disks work with your player, don't bother with DVD-. Who knows, there may be a very small chance your player won't work with DVD-, then you've wasted time & money on disks you can't use.

Everything seems to be working fine for you at the moment, so remember the old saying, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".

3. txstang

txstang Member

I certainly agree with you on the "if it ain't broke...", the only reason I was thinking of using DVD-R is because Man on Fire doesn't fit on + and I was told that + discs are smaller in size even though they both say 4.7G. The size of a + is actually only 4.378G. The DVD player does say on the box that it plays both formats. What are your thoughts on a movie that doesn't fit on a + disc?

4. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

According to my research the actual size of DVD+ and DVD- are both 4.37GB.

If your movie is too long to fit on a single 4.7GB disk, you have 2 options.

Firstly, you can compress(shrink) it to fit a single disk. Obviously the quality will decrease the more you have to shrink it to fit. Check other threads on this forum for "shrink" software.

Secondly, if you want to retain the full quality of a long movie, you can split it across 2 disks.
    Alternatively, if you can afford the cost of the new dual layer stuff, you can burn to a 8.75 disk.

You may want to have a look at the DVD-R Media forum as well as the DVDShrink and DVD2One forums.

5. txstang

txstang Member

Thats the thing I already shrunk it with DVD2one and I hate the idea of spliting the movie on 2 disks. My brother got it to fit on a DVD-R and for some reason it wont fit on my DVD+R.