1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero + Dual Layer = Problems?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by steveh131, Jan 26, 2007.

1. steveh131

steveh131 Member

Hello, everyone. I've been struggling with this for a few days now, so I thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I have burned a lot of movies using DVD Fab to rip the movie and Nero 7 to recode and burn it. I've had very few problems with it, until I tried to do some on dual layer discs. I have Memorex DVD+R dual layer media (I realized after reading some forums that these are crap! However, I've tried many of them, and it seems like at least some should work! I have three logs for three different attempts.

First attempt, on a Pentium 4 with 2GB of memory, Plextor PX-716A with the latest firmware, and Nero 6. I created an image file using Nero Recode, then I burned the image to the disc using Nero Express. Here is the log:

After that, I realized that it was trying to burn at 4X while the media was rated at 2.4X, so lowered the write speed. I also uninstalled the older version of Nero6 and installed Nero 7. I got this:

After that, I went to a completely different computer with a Pioneer Burner, and I tried the same process on a different movie:

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi steveh131
    The Pioneer can use a firmware update. Latest is 1.23. Here's a link.

Both pc's have Roxio installed (File 'Drivers\CDRALW2K.SYS') which doesn't always play well w/ Nero.
    You can uninstall it and run the zap tool.

Update Nero too - 7 handles dual layer better than 6 but the version of 7 you are using is the original. The latest is 7.7.5.1. Quite a few fixes since the original version.

Another good free burner program to try would be ImgBurn.

Give those a go and let us know.