1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero DVD copying with only 1 DVD drive

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Pariah, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

I tried copying my Seinfeld DVD #1 (from my 23 DVD set) to a backup. Nero read the original DVD till about 30%, but then attempted to burn back to the original DVD. Nero wound up crashing and saying Burn Failure. DVD is 3999 MB, and should fit on a DVD+R. How do I copy from DVD to DVDR using NERO when I have only one DVD drive?

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You cant. You need to De-CSS the DVD movie because of the CSS encryption set up to prevent you from copying movies. Use DVD Shrink and check out the USer Guides on the site in my signature.

3. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Since it is a DVD5 (single layer) another option is to make an ISO copy of the disc (copy a disc image to your harddrive) and then burn the ISO to a blank DVD-R.

Good luck...

4. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

There is no encryption on the DVD I'm trying to copy.

5. RiPsTeR01

RiPsTeR01 Guest

bs it is copy protected so newbies like yourself can't just pop it in and burn_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Win xp sp1
    amd 2000+
    256MB ddr 333
    pioneer dvr-ao6
    NERO, DVD-DEcrypter, Shrink 3.0 beta 5[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2003
  6. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

It is not copy protected. Even DVD Shrink says the DVDs are not encrypted. The problem I have is that Shrink keeps freezing up on several of the DVDs with a cyclical redundancy error (even though the DVDs are clean and without scratches or fingerprints). I can rip the DVDs with NTI CD/DVD Maker Gold (it has capability to slow down when encountering the errors Shrink crashes on, and work through them (sometimes as long as 45 minutes)). NTI, however breaks the content into 2GB chunks (not just .vob files, but the whole thing in 2GB chunks), and when I try to burn - it will only let me choose 1 of the chunks to burn at a time (which doesn't help when burning to a non-RW DVD). I found out on some of the DVDs I can use MS Windows Explorer to copy the DVD to my HD, then I use Nero for the Burn.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Um....this is definitely encrypted

8. akoli

akoli Member

Your methods are yer problem , same as what everyone else says your disc is copy protected , run dvd decrypter and tell it to rip the disc straight away you will see that a figure about 8 digits long will apear next to the "Key:" Field this is dvd decrypter "decrypting the copy protection"

Once dvd decrypter is done you have disc compatible to burn with any software mentoned on this forum if its only a dvd-5 disc

9. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

The DVD is not encrypted. I got all of the DVDs in the set to copy to my HD using MS Windows Explorer. Only seven of the eight episodes on DVD 1 would copy, however as I keep getting cyclical redundancy errors. DVD Shrink and Decrypter both state the DVD is not encrypted, but they too suffer cyclical redundancy errors (Shrink won't even acknowledge that there is a DVD in the drive on most attempts to open disk).

10. akoli

akoli Member

Is it only this dvd set your having probs with , does it play in your drive ok / have you ripped other dvd's ok

11. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

I've had trouble now and then on a couple movies, but this set has been a nightmare. I'm still trying to get DVD 1 to rip. Decrypter has been running it for the past 4 hours (228 read errors since 95%, and its only up to 97%)

12. akoli

akoli Member

The two reasons I've come across for read errors in dvd decrypter is;

1 - Crappy Media
    2 - Scratched /Dirty Media
    3 - Copied with errors (watchable but not copyable)

13. koola

koola Guest

Try using CloneDVD to copy the DVD as I have never had any probs with this software! It produces excellent copies with nearly one-click.
    You will need AnyDVD if your are copping a protected DVD.

14. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

If this is the 23DVD Seinfeld set that is being sold on eBay, I would say that cheap media is probably the problem.

Seinfeld has not been officially released on DVD, and this is a "pirate" set. Most illegal DVD producers use the cheapest media known to man as they are not concerned about the quality of their product...just in making a quick buck.

One way or the other, I think that making and burning ISO files is probably the best process to follow if you want to back them up.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2003
  15. akoli

akoli Member

I would tend to agree with that , I have seen a couple of multidvd's that have errors on the discs and are very dificult to copy !!!